Bait Droppers

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
They have been suggested to me for river use at this time of year and it seems a good idea if I want to float fish.

Though never having used one I have a few questions...

1) Which ones to buy?
2) How do you attach them to your line, I'm told you just put them on the hook?
3) I'm told I don't need to set up a separate rod?

Cheers

John Step

Site Supporter
Very easy peasy. Size depends on your hooklentgh strength to some degree. Just what your float rod will take without over lifting the weight.
Hook goes through the wire loop and sticks in the bit of cork. Same as a plummet.
Use the same rod for stick/avon floats but big droppers for barbel etc its best to rig up a strong rod/line.

I have tiny ones for stick floating and a couple of monsters for rivers like the Swale for barbel where the flow is strong and you need weight to get down.

I do use them on a couple of stillwaters where I want to put bait down without attracting the rudd hoards.

No it doesn't seem to put the carp/tench off.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Luckily I've just bought a bit of a heavier float rod (Shakespeare Agility) than an Acolyte as I did wonder about the weight of the dropper on the rod which I guess will depend on which ones I buy. It's for Chub fishing so I'll probably use 4lb Maxima to 0.14 hooklength. Glad to hear they're that simple to attach to the line, I didn't realise they had a cork bit like plummet.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
I use bait droppers in exactly the same way as John described. I've various sizes but for general use my favourite model is this one from Dinsmore.

A lot of the time on the Wye when I am after roach I bait drop and my hooklengths tend to be 0.13mm Reflo. Bait dropping over groundbait I find more selective at times.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I use bait droppers in exactly the same way as John described. I've various sizes but for general use my favourite model is this one from Dinsmore.

A lot of the time on the Wye when I am after roach I bait drop and my hooklengths tend to be 0.13mm Reflo. Bait dropping over groundbait I find more selective at times.

Cheers, those look spot on and about the right size for what I want I think. It's difficult to tell the sizes when shopping online so I had been looking at this twin pack to give me two sizes from AD.

trotter2

I use the small ones quite a bit just fix them on as above. Or put a snap swivel on the dropper and just clip it direct to the loop in the main line that fixes your hooklenght. That way its fixed onto stronger line than the hook. And it's a but less fiddly to take on and off.

squimp

Site Supporter
I use the small ones quite a bit just fix them on as above. Or put a snap swivel on the dropper and just clip it direct to the loop in the main line that fixes your hooklenght. That way its fixed onto stronger line than the hook. And it's a but less fiddly to take on and off.
That is a smart idea.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Cheers, those look spot on and about the right size for what I want I think. It's difficult to tell the sizes when shopping online so I had been looking at this twin pack to give me two sizes from AD.

I'd go for the Dinsmore for river fishing. I have the Middy droppers too but find them better suited to stillwaters or gentle river work, as they are quite lightweight.

Oh and I wouldn't use a bait dropper with my Drennan Microlites as I feel they are too delicate. My pal with four breaks to his various Acolytes would concur...

There are times when I bait drop at distances over say 15 yards and then use an old carp rod, which is reserved for baiting up duties with bait droppers, feeders or spombs.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Simple trick, feed by hand above stream.

Or

If I'm fishing bread down the nearside I rip a loaf up into my keepnet. The flow through my net feeds my swim throughout the day.

That's the plan feeding slightly upstream by hand and how I've done it before.

Well actually, before, it's been more fishing the nearside eddy. There is a fast main flow with large 'eddies' either side. I want to try further out in the main flow but have a feeling I'll have to wait until it warms up before the fish will want to sit there anyway. I'm also hoping I can reach the far side eddy, which is my usual feeder fishing area, by float by using a heavy float. If I'm fishing the far side I can reach it with a waggler range catapult!

I do feel it is more of a feeder fishing venue than float in most situations, but as there's only 2 pegs there, I like to experiment with tactics. :)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not something I use often these days as the slow flow and not particularly deep waters I fish are quite easy to feed by balling or loose feed but when I do I use the smallest ones possible as they are rather nervy to use on a light float rod.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My 16' Agility 2 should do it, really pleased with how heavy the action is on that rod, now just to make sure I cast to the right spot. :LOL:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My four go to bait droppers Zerkalo. I’ve tried to show you how I fasten them on using a designated spare top 3 / 4. Biggest hook I have plus braid so that it shows on pic. ( hopefully ).

Attachments

• 541CFF0C-47DD-49A2-9246-DF855F754FC6.jpeg
    541CFF0C-47DD-49A2-9246-DF855F754FC6.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 7474901A-7C5D-4BCB-A06A-1882EAAC4EBF.jpeg
    7474901A-7C5D-4BCB-A06A-1882EAAC4EBF.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 77CE6934-3E2B-4F33-847A-B9B74D8DAC07.jpeg
    77CE6934-3E2B-4F33-847A-B9B74D8DAC07.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 9

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I often used a bait dropper. If I was sat dead opposite a far bank feeding zone I would attach it to a short pole top section and feed that way if it was in reach. There's not much point in using one if you need to chuck it out by rod, just use a standard river feeder. When using a dropper you must have your hook bait presented very accurately or you won't get so many bites. This method is best used close in to the near bank under bushes or trees.

alsur

Site Supporter
My 16' Agility 2 should do it, really pleased with how heavy the action is on that rod, now just to make sure I cast to the right spot. :LOL:
In my experience they are not a thing you want to be casting a gentle under arm swing at most they relay on being lowered into water so plunger works.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's about 10m max to the middle of the river. Float fishing the eddy on the far side where I usually feeder fish is something I haven't even tried to do yet, I have a feeling the float will just get dragged into the main flow, but that far side eddy is where the fish sit especially when it's cold, I'm still going to have a go over the next couple of months on the float and bait dropper though.

alsur

Site Supporter
It's about 10m max to the middle of the river. Float fishing the eddy on the far side where I usually feeder fish is something I haven't even tried to do yet, I have a feeling the float will just get dragged into the main flow, but that far side eddy is where the fish sit especially when it's cold, I'm still going to have a go over the next couple of months on the float and bait dropper though.
I'd say that would be pushing it, if you think how they work they need to be near vertical when they hit bottom. I'd do as Mike suggested and feed with feeder. I think a pole would be a better way to fish it .