Bait Bands and Pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi everyone,

How many of you have used bait bands with pellets or do you use pellets on a hair?

Has anyone any good or bad experiences with them, are the fish put off by them?

I need to know icon_smile_wink.gif

Cheers, Dave

*** 'The Northern Fish-in' - are you supporting it? ***

scouse

'River Man'
hi dave
what i use is 1.7 line tied round the pellet
put the hook under the line you can hook maybe six fish with the one pellet

dave
scouse [img ]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Cheers Dave that's a thought

Could you tell me what size hooks you'd use with medium and large pellets?

Dave

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Hi Dave, are you using hard pellets, and wanting to cast them or the pole,

teepee.

ada

brummie
korum endorsed by andy findlay have just bought out a new pellet banding tool and bands they are excellent and only a couple of quid they are easy to use,hooks should be quite thick shanked for the pellet to sit right with the band kamasan animals are great for this.hook sizes 10 -14.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Teepee- mainly on the pole but depending on the peg and distance. If not it might be a small bomb with a line clip

Thanks ada I never thought about the animals.

The reason I'm asking is (If Stu or one of the lads reads this, I'm sunk lol) I have the work's match on Tuesday and it's a toss-up between paste or pellet. The only thing is the lake (Horshoe at Raker Lakes) has a lot of silver fish especially Rudd that tend to peck at the paste, stripping it off the hook. Hence pellet

Dave

scouse

'River Man'
hi dave
all depends what you after
you dont have to use 1.7 you can use stronger if you wish
18would suit most situations
i never told you that ok LOL
its time consuming but worth it
if your fishing at the right depth
you will hook them in the top lip
and catch fish without changing the bait

dave
scouse

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Dave hard or soft pellet?
its a toss up pellet or paste do both one rig!

right soft pellet have you seen the John Roberts p/bands different colours can be matched to pellet they're round with a little eye on them for the hook, the fish dont no what a pellet band is, it wont put them off..but if you put the pellet in the band and then squeeze the pellet gently with finger and thumb from ends it will mushroom each side covering the pellet band,
another little dodge instead of the band, is to use a small length of fuse wire about an inch (in old money) bend the wire in half over the hook (middle of bend) and twist the wire so its tight on the hook and hangs bellow, now push your pellet onto the wire and bend the ends out, trim any exccess wire off with scissors. size 14 / 16 hooks wide gape, IMO the animal hooks are too heavy for pellet its only a light bait, unless your catching big lumps.

Now a way of fishing the paste without having to use another rig from your pellet one, and will also remove the problem of the small fish pecking the paste off,
have you seen Enterprise Tackle products, they do product called Paste Mates, it looks like a little rubber peg with a ball on the end, what you do is put the hook through the peg trim to length, so now you can mould a FIRM piece of paste around the ball leaving the hook exposed like an hair/rig, the small fish will not beable to peck the firm paste off...
Hope all that makes sense if not i'll do you photo!

teepee.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've seen your photos teepee lol

Yeap sorted, I've used paste several times but it'll be the first time I have used pellet on the hook so here goes.

I'll have a practice tomorrow in my pond but better remove the hookpoint to keep the missus happy icon_smile_big.gif

Cheers, Dave

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Dave if you using soft pellet you're better off just hooking it, roll it onto the hook so it sits in the bend you'll hit more bites, hard pellet you need to band.

teepee.

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Dave,

One thing I have found is make sure the bait bands are at the back of the shank with the pellet inside.You get a better hook hold.
You could also mould paste around the pellet so once the small fish have taken the paste you are still left with pellet on the hook or band.

Keith

Golfs a game for people who can't catch fish

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Dave,
The 4 fish I caught at Bury Hill on friday, were all caught on Peter's pellets, soft (but firm enough to recast) and hooked directly into the pellet.
Cheers

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

MALC

Dave,

Another way is to superglue hard pellets to an elastic band then cut them off and put the hook through the bit of elastic.

This method was shown in the Angling Times the other week but i know a lot of match anglers have been using it for a few years now with great success but have been keeping it very quiet.
So don't tell any one !!

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Simon R

Site Supporter
Malc

That technique was also described in some detail in this month's Match Fishing too (with photos).
I tried it at the weekend and its a lot easier than fiddling around with bait bands.

Simon

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
The pellets we used at the weekend were the VDE Juicy Pellets,that i'd glugged in GLM extract,work well on the waggler and the feeder.

Peter.

Make Friends,Go Maggotdrowning.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Malc,

You've given away mine and Dave(scouse)'s secret, here's hoping no one has seen it lol icon_smile_big.gif

Thanks fellas, everything now at the ready and full report on Wednesday

See you all later,

Dave

Nige

I've also used the "laccy band" trick with chum mixers after a friend told me about it last year, cos I was fed up with the mixers not sticking to the shank

Nige, Wishin I was Fishin

Status
Not open for further replies.