Bailliff's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Why is it that Bailiff's never ask to see a Rod Licence? Every time I go Fishing They always come and ask " Are you a Member " or " Have you paid your Day Ticket " but Never do they ask " Can I see your Licence " Now I know there is a couple of Bailiff's here so maybe you can tell me, Is it part of your Job to ask or not?

(this should put the cat amongst the pigeons)

Tight Lines

scouse

'River Man'
hi jeff
i always do
bet you did not know iwas a bailiff LOL
i also have a book that if anglers misbehave
i just take there car reg
and inform EA[;)]

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

PoleRoller2003

'Pole Breaker'
im no bailiff but i do have a liscense and i have the right to ask other anglers to see theres so do everybody else who owns a liscence so if in dout shout

poleroller2003
chris the name fish the game

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Bailiffs are appointed by a club etc. to patrol there own waters. Normally they are only responsible for checking to see if club rules are being adheard to. The EA have there own bailiffs to check on rod licences, they funnily enough dont ask to see the relevant club cards.

chill out go fishing

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
But John, is it much more difficult for a club bailiff to ask to see an anglers EA licence at the same time.

As I have stated on earlier discussions on this subject the owners of a day ticket water should check the angler has a licence before issuing a day ticket. If an angler is caught fishing their water without a licence then the owner should get prosecuted for allowing it. It always seems strange that the majority of anglers without a licence are caught on commercial waters.

If the angler hasn't got one then no fishing. I wonder how many wasted journeys it would take for a guy to get a licence.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member
Fishing Venues UK

Beebs

Fished the local canal last Saturday, the bailiff asked to see my permit and rod licence. Was more than pleased to oblige. Had a good long chat with him, turns out he used to work with one of my fishing partners, who was also there at the time.

The usual sort of banter took place and another friend made on the bank. How can anybody fault angling?

G

Addmission time for me.

I'm also a water bailiff, i've got the stamp on my club ticket.

Every angler has the power to ask to see a rod licence mate.

I presume the bailif is the water/club nominated bailif and not an EA bailif, thats the first this an EA rep would ask for, GOT YOUR LICENCE ,not got your day ticket etc.

Geoff, spot on mate, why cannot the owner of the commercial not check for the EA licence [?][?]

catch me if u can
Andy,

martin.

Account Locked
hi
as most of you know im a bailiff i do not ask to see rod licences as i do not very often ask to see club books/day tickets
most of the anglers on our water know who i am the strangers reconise me as a bailiff when i walk up to them because i have a dayticket book & several club books in my hand
the regulars show me there books early in the season & know ill remember them the strangers normally just ask me how much for either a book or day ticket or they just get the money out.
im hoping to get the wording changed in our rules at the next AGM
to state .

that membership (including day members) becomes invalid if the member is not in the posetion of a EA rod licence

& see if i can get printed on front of our books that way i will be able to stop them fishing & report them, if they havnt got one at present all i would be able to do is report them .
there is a rumour from what ive heard that the EA will be having a course for some club bailiffs to givethem the correct training for dealing anglers with/without rod licences

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

angler-mark

All members of PAD Angling have to show their licence when they apply or renew their membership so it makes my job easy as bailiff, but as we don't offically issue day tickets it's not a problem on our water, having said that we do rent the water to other disabled clubs at weekends and I do check licences now and then.

We also have visits by EU bailiffs as Geoff P. will tell you when he attended the Trent Fish-in last year lol. I didn't check any myself because I KNOW how honest my fellow MD members are lol, but I might in September just to keep you on your toes lol.

A person who has got a licence can ask to see anyone else's licence at any time providing you show them yours, so in theory everyone is a bailiff to a certain degree when out and about fishing.

Tight Lines

Mark

Last edited:

carpbob3

I agree with what has been said that anyone issuing a day ticket or Book should see a Valid licence first ....... No Licence NO Ticket/Book and asked to leave that waters...... Down side of that is you could end up going for a swim (fully clothed) also tackle shops should ask for a licence before selling a rod or reel ........ you cant by a Gun with out showing a valid permit !!

if your not fishing your not living

Colin Payne

If a bailiff asks to see your rod licence and you don't have one, as well as asking you to leave the water can they report you to the EA as well, assuming the culprit willingly gives their address details or is known to the bailiff? Also if someone gets a bit lairy about it i.e. tells the bailiff to F off or threatens give him a smack and chuck him in, can he call the police to remove the offender?
As to shops policing the licences, never gonna work!! They are not going to want to refuse sales because someone may or may not have a licence. Remember a gun licence is also given on grounds that the person is of a fit state of mind to carry a DANGEROUS weapon. You don't have to qualify for a fish licence. Anybody including my old mum could have a fishing licence if she so wanted!

Dervaig

Martin, Yes 2 of our club members have received training from the EA as to how to deal with offending non-licence holders.
I have to admit I didn't see why at first as any of the members are entitled to ask for day ticket, club cards & licences. Any anglers without who get stroppy are dealt with by the police in short order as they are only too happy to come down to the water (providing a brews on hand) especially at night when they could be dealing with drunks etc.
Anyone without a ticket or licence are classed as poachers.
I can't remember the full details but it helps with the prosecution case if some members are EA trained.

Dervaig

angler-mark

[quote
Down side of that is you could end up going for a swim (fully clothed)
[/quote]

I'm lucky, our water is behind locked gates and anyone who wants to fish is issued with a key, also the landowners house overlooks the water and he and his sons are aware of who is a member. It also helps being 6ft-2in with a pickaxe handle in your hand when asking anyone to behave themselves lol. I also tell em STU and TROGG are coming lol, they don't hang about long [;)][;)][;)]

Tight Lines

Mark

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Crikey, there's more Baliffs on this site than the EA have altogether [:D]

... I wonder if we could set up an agency for them - 'Rent-a-Baliff' lol

Dave

martin.

Account Locked
dave
im not a bailliff i am the BAIlIFF it must be true red leaderput it under my name[:D][:D][:D][:D]

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Asking to see a licence before issuing day tickets is a good idea Geoff, or so i've always thought.

I spoke to a fella in the garage the other day who used to run/bailiff a day ticket water & some of the stories he told me would put anyone off for life.

His nose has been broken more than once, his arm fractured & he's had numerous broken fingers, why??

Because he refused to issue people with day tickets as they couldn't produce a licence.

As you all know i love trying to get "bites" on this & other forums, if i remember right it was this site when i said "what happens if your licence is at the bottom of your box??" that got a few bites & there's been other sites where i've had more than enough bites from people on all sorts of subjects.

One thing i will say though, if the stories that bloke told me are anything like "usual" i'll not want a job issuing day tickets if i've got to ask for the rod licence first.

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

angler-mark

quote:Originally posted by Dave

Crikey, there's more Baliffs on this site than the EA have altogether [:D]

... I wonder if we could set up an agency for them - 'Rent-a-Baliff' lol

Dave

Dave, you should be flattered that they are attracted to this great website [;)][;)][;)]. By the way, yours is the first one to check lol

Tight Lines

Mark

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I still chuckle when I think back to when Geoff had his checked on the Trent Fish-in last year lol

Mid you we had to ask the bailiff to do so [8D]

Dave

angler-mark

Dave,
I remember it Well [:D][:D][:D]
Believe it or not but in over 25 years of fishing I have only been asked to show mine once to a EA official, I must have an honest face [:I][:I][:I]

Tight Lines

Mark

Trevski

quote:Originally posted by Trogg
His nose has been broken more than once, his arm fractured & he's had numerous broken fingers, why??

Because he refused to issue people with day tickets as they couldn't produce a licence.

quote:
One thing i will say though, if the stories that bloke told me are anything like "usual" i'll not want a job issuing day tickets if i've got to ask for the rod licence first.

I'm with you on this one Alan.

What we are forgetting here is the number and kind of pr*ts that actually fish
without a licence aren't going to think twice about sticking one on the baliff
if they think they're gonna get caught licence dodging.

Fishing clubs aren't going to be putting their baliffs under this sort of
pressure and the commercials certainly won't be funding the extra wage theirs
will demand for the extra risk. [B)]

On a lighter note, I do however question the sanity of any dodger taking a
swing at our Trogg! [}:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.