Bagging Waggler - Forgotten Method?

Maverick

Does anyone still fish the baggin wagg or is it a method that has fallen by the wayside?

A few years ago when Matrix bought out their smaller version clearly aimed at commercials I purchased one.

About 2 years ago during a hot sunny day when fish were clearly on the top but couldn't be tempted to feed on the pellet waggler I dipped into my float box and pulled out the baggin wagg. Simply swapped floats and used up the 50/50 mix of groundbait and micros I had used earlier in the morning on the method feeder.

I could not believe the difference it made as I caught about 9 carp on it during the next hour when everyone else was perservering with the pellet waggler and getting nowhere.

It drew a fair bit of interest from anglers around me as it was hard to hide what I was doing with the large bulbous red top on the float.

Last week in similar conditions when I couldn't get a bite for love nor money I again reached for the baggin wagg. Not as good this time but I did have 1 carp and 1 that pulled off the hook as I was playing it. Again it drew interest with a couple of guys asking what it was and where they could buy one.

Has the Bagging wagg become a forgotten art as there are very few videos on youtube about it and just the odd very old articles from the Angling Times. It did get a mention back in 2014 during the first season of Fishing Gurus but I hear very little about it these days.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I have a small matrix one and a larger maver one.
Used them in bread only matches when I was in the North West,
Liquidized bread in the frame and either small piece of crust on the hook or a piece of bread so it sinks slowly,
There is a large water I fish down here that I am going to use them on.
@chefster uses one at Clattercote.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I have a small matrix one and a larger maver one.
Used them in bread only matches when I was in the North West,
Liquidized bread in the frame and either small piece of crust on the hook or a piece of bread so it sinks slowly,
There is a large water I fish down here that I am going to use them on.
@chefster uses one at Clattercote.
Have I read that correct ? Or do I need glasses ? …. ‘ Bread only ‘ matches ? Never heard of one of those. Interesting idea is that. Never heard of one of those up here. 👍

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Have I read that correct ? Or do I need glasses ? …. ‘ Bread only ‘ matches ? Never heard of one of those. Interesting idea is that. Never heard of one of those up here. 👍
Yep once a year when I was running matches for local club, we would have a bread only match,
It could be white or brown bread, no seeds etc in it.
No additives or flavours allowed.Checks were made on the day,
No commercial white or brown groundbait.Had to be liquidized
It could be either white or brown.
Bread could be fished by any method,
Float,feeder,bagging waggler, floating bread.
If fished as a paste, the only binder allowed was water,
I think the match record was just under 80lb, a mixed bag of carp and tench, we would get 20lb of silvers in these matches.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Still got these ones tucked away....................

1624956167658.png

They're some of the originals that you could buy off the bailiff at Drayton back in the day when Drayton, Clattercote, Earlswood and a couple of other British Waterways Reservoirs were producing big weights of Carp in matches.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Still got these ones tucked away....................

1624956167658.png

They're some of the originals that you could buy off the bailiff at Drayton back in the day when Drayton, Clattercote, Earlswood and a couple of other British Waterways Reservoirs were producing big weights of Carp in matches.
You set of heathens you 🤣🤣

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I used to use them a lot, but I think you will find that they are banned on the majority of small commercials, either because of the danger of crack-offs or because they are regarded as being intrusive when compared with other methods. Also I think a baggin waggler would be classed as a Method, and on many commercials only in-line flatbed Methods are allowed.

I imagine they are still allowed on the big reservoirs like Drayton.

pikey123

Looking at the photos and I want to have at at making the stragglers with the feeders,but how are the feeders attached to the float stems ,stopping them flying off.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
There was a good video by Jan Porter and Steve Ringer at Drayton. I don't know if it's still available though.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Looking at the photos and I want to have at at making the stragglers with the feeders,but how are the feeders attached to the float stems ,stopping them flying off.
Thy are manufactured like that.