Bad Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

crusty

Hi all,
I've been in serious pain now for over a year, been through all the painkillers and ended up on morphine.(not fun!) sleep.gif
Anyway saw the top quack this week and guess what?
Two "slipped" discs and in the words of the expert a knackered back[:(]
I need an opperation on the two discs and then depending on results several vertebra welding together.
14 months it's took them to come up with this![:(!] and now how long for the op?
good old NHS
Still, we are not down-hearted.I'm just in the process of whittling down my kit so I can carry it. (where does it all come from?)

dreaming of floating crusts on summer days

crusty

Lid

Before have the operation, I suggest visiting a McTimmoney Chiropractor. You would have to pay for it yourself, probably about 35 for the first visit and 25 thereafter. They may well be able to help you without resorting to surgery.

My missus has one slipped disc in her lower back and two in her neck. Conventional medicine only offered surgery or epidural injections, but McTimoney treatment has helped to avoid both these. They have also helped me a lot with nasty neck and back problems.

Don't go for plain Chiropractors though, look for the McTimonney variety, otherwise it can be too violent. If you let me know what town you live in, I can give you the names of the nearest. Also you may find your GP supports it, or perhaps takes the opposite view and thinks they are quacks.

Lid [:)]

crusty

Cheers Lid
I live in Bolton (someone has to)
Any info is most welcome, I'm willing to give anything a go.
cost is no prob

crusty

TINY

Tiny
How did you come to hear of McTimmoney Lid.I had asked all manner of doctors about getting my back fixed.Not one of them could or would tell me anything except,go into hospital and get your vertebrae fused.Had the op done now and it still isnt fixed properly

Andy.

Lid

Crusty - I'll get some names and addresses of the closest ones to you, hopefully early next week.

Tiny - When I was in the quick print trade in Oxford I used to do a lot of work for both the McTimoney Chiropractic school and also for Stan Harding, a well known practitioner and original trainee of John McTimoney.

When I got my own very bad neck (and back), I called Stan as an afterthought. I'd seen GPs and an osteopath for some months and not made any progress, but his methods and treatment worked well for me.

Since then both me and the missus have visited several of them all with good results, bar one. We are on BUPA with work and interestingly we both got our last batch of treatments paid for by them. Only some McTimoneys are BUPA registered though, and you normally have to get a referral from a consultant, so you need to find one who likes alternative therapies. Such consultants do exist though.

The treatments don't work for everyone and of course it does depend on the nature of the injury/damage in the first place. The theory is straightforward and sound in my opinion and there are many people who sing the praises of Stan and others.

In the case of injuries where you already have significant disc damage, it is unlikely to be a quick fix. Some people have surgery and find they are fine, but for just as many it doesn't fix it properly. I think it is definitely worth pursuing a non surgical route for a few months, as it could well sort you out. If not, there's nothing to stop staying on the waiting list and going for the op later.

Conventional medicine seems to be a bit stuck on backs. I remember a time a few years back when Linda was in hospital for a miscarriage and there was a young lady there, pregnant and unable to walk. They had terrified her at the hospital and claimed not to know what was wrong. She'd been there a some day's and was beside herself. Linda described this to me on the phone. It sounded like a back thing to me and so we got her to ring Stan. He listened to her symptoms, and then suggested that she discharge herself and gave her a local McTimoney to contact. Suffice to say a few treatments sorted her out (it was a trapped nerve in her back). The consultant who hadn't known what was wrong was the same one who told my wife to get a dog, as this was her third or fourth miscarriage!!

Last edited:

Lid

Yes, sorry to hear about all the pain you are and have been in with all this Crusty. Did you have an accident to cause the injuries, or did they just creep up on you slowly over the years?

In my haste to tell you all about my ideas, I forgot the obvious. Sorry.
Thanks for the reminder f_mad.

Last edited:

Lid

Hi Crusty

I've found the McTimoney Chiropractic Association web-site.
There doesn't appear to be anyone in Bolton, but there are some in Lancashire. If you follow the link below there's a search box where you can search by county or city.

http://www.mctimoney-chiropractic.org/treat_intro.htm

I'll also check with Stan in the week, become some of them are better than others at dealing with the sort of injuries you have. I'll let you know if he recommends anyone in particular.

Incidently some of them are licensed to treat animals; normally racehorses and dogs. I think that's good evidence that it isn't just quackery.

mike s

Before you even consider the "op", check on the alternatives.
I suffered 7 ruptured discs in a forestry accident in '84 & have had minor to severe pain ever since.
When they offered me the option of surgery, the odds were; 25% for improvement; 50% for no change & 25% on ending up in a wheelchair.
I chose the pain.
I have had treatment using something that causes the cartliage between vertebrae to grow scar tissue & force the joints apart & for the past few years this has reduced the pain to a mostly bearable level.(16m pole for 5 hours STILL kills me but I'm not surprised)
The only other pain relief I've found is still illegal but I've done without for the last few years through fear of prosecution & relatively reduced discomfort.
I really hope that things improve for you.

Cumbria Angling Centre

mike s

PS Please note that the odds I was given were for some MAJOR work, with it being 5 discs at base of spine & 2 higher up.

Cumbria Angling Centre

angler-mark

Crusty, If you're considering surgery then my advice would be DON'T. I had an accident at work in 1998 and ended up having 3 spinal fusion operations, the last one I had also involved having quite a bit of metal work screwed to my spine which is still there. It didn't do me any good to be honest and they wanted to have another go but I declined their offer mainly because my theory is, if they can't get it right after 3 attemtps then I doubt if the will ever fix it, plus, each time there was a risk that I could have ended up in a wheelchair, so I decided to manage as I am.

The operation isn't too bad but for 3 months you are not allowed to sit up and then it takes another 3 to 4 months to recover after it and if I had known then what I know now, I wouldn't have had anything done to my back, but at the time it was an industrial accident and I was told that if I refused treatment it would have seemed that I was not trying to help myself to get better and any benefits I was on would be stopped, so like an idiot I had the surgery done. It's not made any difference to be honest, except that now I'm a pound and half heavier with the metalwork in my back and worth a few bob in scrap value! [;)][;)][;)]

Tight Lines

Mark

Lid

Mike, you reminded that in the 30's my great uncle slipped a disc whilst playing rugby. He had surgery, the surgeon made a mistake and he's was in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

In those days all he got was an apology, albeit a personal one, from the surgeon. Of course this was a few years back and they should be better at it now, but there's always a risk.

crusty

Hi all

Lid I've had a bad back for over ten years. it usually comes on once or twice a year and lasts about three months. I've changed jobs several times to try and avoid it, but it makes no odds, i've done it sneezing!
My G.P.'s answer has always been to send me to physio, but I honestly don't think it has ever done any good.
This time I stuck to my guns and demanded he do more, mainly because the last year has been complete and utter hell.

I had an MRI scan and that showed two sliped discs, one of which has trapped my sciatic nerve, and thats where all the pain is coming from.

The consultant reckons the only way to free the nerve is surgery.
He says that my back is in such a state (i'm not 40 yet.)that this problem will continue to occur on a regular basis.
To be honest its only the morphine thats keeping me together.

I'm terrified of surgery, especially since i've heard so many horror stories, but at the moment I see no option although i'm more than willing to try anything.
thanks for your help

crusty

Lid

To be honest the surgery for you is probably quite straightforward, if they don't find any complications. I think they would do a discectomy, which simply removes the protruding disc matter which is pushing onto the sciatic nerve.

McTimoney Chiropractic treatments try to work on the cause instead. The discs usually prolapse (slip) because the vertebrae have got misaligned, for whatever reason. They actually get ruptured and the inner material oozes out. The McTimoney treatment keeps trying to realign the vertebrae hopefully allowing the body to heal itself. The surgery simply cuts off the offending material, but doesn't usually address the misalignments that caused it. Misalignment can be gradual over a number of years, or from an accident like trying to lift something too heavy.

Have a go at some treatments. You've got nothing to lose apart from some cash.

blackbudgie

HI Crusty,it's no fun having bad back,take my advice ignore everyone grin and bare it and go fishing to take your mind off it.[:D]

everyready

well i hope you get sorted out. for five years after car crash i had a bad back went to about 10 top back doctors and lots of shyiso keeped telling them something traped in back .they just keeped telling me i did knot know what was best for myselfe .then fell over at work lots of crunching in my back now no back pain .

crusty

Hi all.
Thanks for your help

Lid, i've had a look at the web site and i'm going to follow it up. Like you say what have I got to lose? I can't go on like this.
Having someone to take care of your back on a regular basis must be a good idea.
And if I can avoid the knife I will.
cheers again
crusty

Status
Not open for further replies.