backwind or clutch ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

on box

interested in what people think the pros and cons are when playing fish some use there drag whilst others backwind personally i use the drag dont know why i cant seem to get into backwinding maybe its down to being taught how to use the drag when i was a child [8D]

Last edited:

Grippa

I use the drag. Set correctly you shouldn't have a problem.

I find that with the backwind, you can get yourself it trouble if a fish really makes a dash for it.

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by on box

im new to this site mate cheers anyway

here are mate..

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/108671&SearchTerms=back,wind,or,clutch

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
I use the drag-wind on my Shimano Baitrunner, no problems so far. [:T]

perchlover

Just interested reading this. I am light ledgering this weekend and wonder how much I should turn the drag to for tench, roach, perch and bream?

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by perchlover

Just interested reading this. I am light ledgering this weekend and wonder how much I should turn the drag to for tench, roach, perch and bream?

set the clutch for tench, thats all you need to do..

bream, perch, roach will NOT shift it...

svenc

London Blanker NOT
Clutch all the time, if you get a screaming run on backwind then it will over-run.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
Set it so you can pull line off the reel without any problem, your first fish will tell you the setting after that. [:D][:W]

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by Brian the Fish

Set it so you can pull line off the reel without any problem, your first fish will tell you the setting after that. [:D][:W]

not true mate.... if he hooks a bream, that will tell him nothing...

you can set it yourself without catching a fish. just setup the rod fully, loosen the clutch a click at a time while pulling your line nearest to your butt eye. [:T]

blakey

My reel has both but i only use the drag,, not really confident to try back winding

sporty

Site Supporter
this very much depends on the kind of hooklength strengths you are using and if i were fishing for predominately roach,perch and bream on lightish hooklengths then its backwind everytime if your fishing for bigger more powerfull fish then you would be using stronger more forgiving line and you could safely use the clutch set correctly .if you should hook a bonus tench on light roach tackle a clutch can be to insensitive resulting in a hooklenght breakage that is why i have always used the backind

zenith20

I use a bit of both. I just like the control you can get from incorporating both of them.

Larry

Lazarus
Ijust use the clutch backwinding is giving line to the fish Using the clutch the fish takes line.

Dogsbody

The clutch should ideally be set to slip before your hooklength breaks. The size of fish should not matter after that as it should not snap. The problem comes when you need to hit and hold near any snags. The quality of the clutch also depends greatly on the reel quality.
Whilst I trust the clutch on my reels Daiwa Tierra /Spro red Arc/ Shimano GTRB, I set the clutch fairly loose so that I can apply finger tip pressure to the spool and feel the action in the rod whilst playing the fish.

Milo

23/04/04 - 28/01/20
In Memoriam
You need to be aware that using the clutch will cause line twist. If the fish tacks line very quickly and for a long time then you need a swivel in the system somewhere.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
Originally posted by common_carp

Originally posted by Brian the Fish

not true mate.... if he hooks a bream, that will tell him nothing...

you can set it yourself without catching a fish. just setup the rod fully, loosen the clutch a click at a time while pulling your line nearest to your butt eye. [:T]

Have you started speaking French already Monsieur butt eye, you should know about setting up without catching a fish.
It may tell him, at least, that the swim is attracting fish and therefore other fish may move in, so the set-up may be almost right but may need a little tweaking. [:T]
I'll explain at Lindholme monsieur. [:W]

Status
Not open for further replies.