Backleads............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swingtipper

Went to the Carp show in Brentwood Saturday, got loads of goodies including some Korda intelligent Backleads, pack of 3, I forget the price but about a fiver, nice looking bits of kit, with a handy eye that once the line is in you push it into the silicon tube to close it, but reading the instructions the lead part is designed to break away when it gets stuck in weed,ie the spigot in the lead (about 6mm long)is a real light push fit, so if you give it a little shake it drops off, not used them yet but I'm guessing that just the lifting the lead off the bottom is going to make them drop off, is this by design? disposable tackle, surley I dont have buy a new one for each cast? I'm happy to use Korda safezone and Hybrid leadclip systems, if I get snagged up then the bomb drops off nice and safe, but to have something that drops off each cast is just throwing money away.

PS, feeling guilty we walked in the wrong door and got in for nothing, not intended, a little more effort needed on security and direction signs next year.

pham

Yes they do fall off when you lift into the fish and when you're retriving! I bought some to try on a weedy water I was fishing as I like to keep everything pinned down and didn't want to chance it with my usual flying backleads. I wouldn't of minded had the backlead come off in weed like it should!

I fish slack lines now whenever possible so don't bother with backleads!

Len Wade

Bog-Monster
Site Supporter
I might be "off the pace" with regards to some modern tackle, but aren't you supposed to tie your backleads to a bankstick etc with a couple of yards of heavy braid or string, so that you can retrieve them when they fall off?

kcon123

Originally posted by Len Wade

I might be "off the pace" with regards to some modern tackle, but aren't you supposed to tie your backleads to a bankstick etc with a couple of yards of heavy braid or string, so that you can retrieve them when they fall off?

There are some out there (I think they are made by fox) that you do that with.

Swingtipper

There is no provision on the lead that departs to tie anything to it, or any mention in the instructions on how to do it, not sure I want to play a fish that the line is running through a lead thats tied to the bank, sound rather dodgy.

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
noooo think you miss understand mate..

you tie the line to the bank stick, then click the back lead to the line once your rods are out and set....everytime you rell in the back lead with come off, so you use the string to pull the lead back into the back, you then repeat the process..

Len Wade

Bog-Monster
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Swingtipper

There is no provision on the lead that departs to tie anything to it, or any mention in the instructions on how to do it, not sure I want to play a fish that the line is running through a lead thats tied to the bank, sound rather dodgy.

Swingtipper, the backlead is supposed to fall off your running line as soon as you strike, you don't play the fish through it.

How do you expect to retrieve it afterwards if it's not attached to something?

On the other hand, if these Korda "Intelligent" backleads are classed as disposable items and you only plan on catching one carp a week, then ok if you can afford 'em, I suppose.

(I just know that if I was paying a fiver for three backleads I would make sure I got 'em back somehow!)

Swingtipper

Ah, right clever stuff, I love this forum!

Originally posted by common_carp

noooo think you miss understand mate..

you tie the line to the bank stick, then click the back lead to the line once your rods are out and set....everytime you rell in the back lead with come off, so you use the string to pull the lead back into the back, you then repeat the process..

Swingtipper

Originally posted by Swingtipper

Swingtipper, the backlead is supposed to fall off your running line as soon as you strike, you don't play the fish through it.

How do you expect to retrieve it afterwards if it's not attached to something?

On the other hand, if these Korda "Intelligent" backleads are classed as disposable items and you only plan on catching one carp a week, then ok if you can afford 'em, I suppose.

(I just know that if I was paying a fiver for three backleads I would make sure I got 'em back somehow!)

I shall get the Dewalt out and drill some holes...........I guess it ok for these chaps in the magazines, the tackle consultants and the like to be able to loose tackle, bombs and backleads all add up, perhaps I should spend some time in my shed and start making my own stuff.

Little Carper

i had these backleads but they come off if fishing a weedy venue. i just pulled the clip off the lead and the tubing off the lead and added a blob of superglue. When i play a fish the backlead comes off, but when im realing in it doesnt. Cheaper just to buy the cheap homemade ones from my tackleshop for about 50p.
Unless your fishing far out, fish slack. Bait acts a lot more naturally, and its harder for the fish to find ur line

pham

Originally posted by Little Carper

i had these backleads but they come off if fishing a weedy venue. i just pulled the clip off the lead and the tubing off the lead and added a blob of superglue. When i play a fish the backlead comes off, but when im realing in it doesnt. Cheaper just to buy the cheap homemade ones from my tackleshop for about 50p.
Unless your fishing far out, fish slack. Bait acts a lot more naturally, and its harder for the fish to find ur line

They are designed to fall off in the weed! Just buy some backleads that ain't intelligent! Or some captive backleads as mentioned!

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Normal back leads are ok in the right situation but sometimes you do not want one left on the line while you play a fish, and what if the margins are thick weed? The captives can even be fished off the bottom to avoid weed and detach instantly when you receive a bite. The unique gate system used in the clip ensures that any forward movement will trigger the gate and release the line but there is enough resistance when sliding them on to keep the gate firmly closed.

You can fish a standard back lead further down the line if needed and still use the captive near the tip, getting the best of both worlds. Unlike standard back leads the captives are attached to a length of cord so once you have bought a set they should last you indefinitely. By fishing them on a tight cord from the bank stick you can keep them clear of the bottom, if need be, to avoid bottom debris, weed and snags etc, or slide them out on a long cord and fish them as a normal back lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.