backing on your spools ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
ive got a mitchell 300x and when ive put my 100 m of line on its along way off the lip, ive also got a normal spool which will need backing.
shall i put masking tape or electricians tape on both spools so that i can get the 100 m of line to the lip or is there a better way of doing it ?

cheers
tony

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I use balls of the wifes old unwanted wool.
Put the line on the spool first then wind the wool on tight till it fills the spool. Remove, then rewind the wool finishing with the line, this way the spool is correctly filled.

chill out go fishing

Hopper_fcuk

The Smogster
sorry mate i dont understand that, put line on then wool ?

i think this is what ya mean, i got my line on spool now with no backing on at all, tie wool to the line that already on spool, wind wool onto spool tight till its at the lip of spool, take off wool and line and start again wool end 1st so that when the woo and line is back on its to the lip ?

..`. ><((((((>
``..`. ><((((>

Lid

I use cheapo bulk line and just fill the spool. Lazy really, but saves messing about.

Lid [:)]

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
The backing on my spools is old line, I mean over 5 years old. I never get down to it so it doesn't matter.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

MALC

To back any spools that need backing i use the Freebie line from the mags and weeklies.

But i did used to use the Wool same as Esox.20.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
I like to use old line as backing too. But I hate to have to guess at how much will be needed to allow my good line to fill the spool.

Try this -

- wind on the new line
- tie on and wind on the old line until the spool is as full as you want it.
- transfer the entire thing to a different, identical spool where you will now have a full spool with the old line at the bottom.

Newt Vail

Roppa

Newt's method is without doubt the way to do it. But just as the old line has been loaded on, stop, before you load the new, use some plumbers PTFE tape to bind and bed everything down and to bury the knot so as it doesn't cause trouble later. It's cheap to use, easy to get hold of and saves so much heartache later.

PoleRoller2003

'Pole Breaker'
why not buy shallow spools for your reel. that way you will not need to put backing on your reel. [:D][:D][:D]

poleroller2003
chris the name fish the game

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
I don't like the shallow spools because I will occasionally get a fish I have trouble stopping and have been known to feed out some backing before the critter finally got tired.

Not as good as my mainline but I always use line that is plenty strong. Stiff usually and nothing I'd want to regularly fish with but fine for the occasional emergency.

One time in my life I have had a fish take all my line and then strain against the knot to the spool until it broke. Never again if I can help it. That is a sick, helpless feeling I can easily do without. :)

I keep a bulk spool of cheap 50lb for backing on my normal reels and a bulk spool of cheap 20lb for backing the smaller reels.

Newt Vail

AL_Peters

'The Entertainer'
I use electrical tape to mate but at the top if there any gaps use pva tape then you have a flat surface and no gaps for line to go down, i never have any probs

Happiness is playin wif yer rod

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.