Back Wind

stikflote

Site Supporter
HI, How do you backwind when playing a fish??
can it be done with any reel??

smiffy

Site Supporter
You can feel when a fish is going to take line. I don’t know how to explain it but I’m sure most backwinders will say the same thing. By the same token you know when you can grab that bit more line than you would with a clutch. You will also know when you can hold a fish.
I’ve had to let go of the reel handle on so few occasions that I never give it a thought. I just back wind at the speed of the fish, applying pressure when I can.
I don’t accidentally hook that many Carp and stuff. Normally when I’m fishing for decent fish I’m geared up for them👍

Keith Sparky

Site Supporter
Others may disagree but if I back wind then I don't actually wind backwards as such using the reel handle but tend to just apply pressure to the back of the spool housing so the fish takes line while you apply steady pressure. To just let the handle spin backwards is a recipe for disaster. I only back wind when using light lines for say silvers and I hook a bonus large fish. For normal carp method fishing etc... i tend to use the clutch as reels today are so smooth

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
As had been said it’s hard to explain you just sort of know when to give line and when to wind again once you’ve got the hang of it. When fishing light lines on soft tipped rods I think it just allows so much more control than a clutch as using such rods and lines requires the drag to be set very loose for it to engage properly especially if you haven’t got a super high end reel which means you aren’t really in control. Don’t get me wrong I don’t backwind much if fishing for carp with an Avon rod and say 4-5lb bottoms and strong hooks as that gear is pretty safe from failing and strong enough that the clutch doesn’t have to be set super light to engage. But when I hook a carp or big perch, chub etc on a light float rod, a 2lb bottom and a fine hook I’ve lost a lot less fish and landed fish quicker backwinding than I ever used to relying on the drag which you still have set as an insurance anyway.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I do a sort of hybrid between pure backwinding and doing what Keith does I backwind but always are ready to let the handle go but apply pressure to the back of the spool housing if a large fish does take line but yes it is a recipe for diaster to just let the reel spin. After you have done it you do get a good feel of when to give and take line. I find it gives me more control than using the clutch as I give a fish line when I want to not when the fish wants to.
You are also right that there are some reels that you can not backwind with these tend to be some of the newer front drag Shimano reels as they have no backwind facility on the reels, also older ABU closed face reels could not backwind (unless you took the backwind stop out). As an aside a good few years ago Browning made a reel without a clutch, the Ultimatch as backwinding was what most people did

stikflote

Site Supporter
All my questions have been answered,
i wont be backwinding ,i prefer the clutch ,
i was very curious thats alll folks

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
Clutch for me. Its a consistant way of maintaining an adjustable but specific resistance. No way can a human touch be that sensistive or consistant. Old clutch technology fair enough but modern clutches far outperform a backwind.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I have a slack-ish clutch and let em run, but use a finger on the spool to control the run... you get a feel for how much pressure you can exert

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I both let the handle go if a fish really wants to go and just wind backwards at a rate that feels right for the pressure you are getting through the rod.

I have been backwinding and have never used a clutch for 40+ years. That is ever since Ivan Marks told us that was how he played fish. We just followed The Master.

Today there is no way I want a mindless and unfeeling mechanism to give line. I make that decision, when to start, when to stop and how quickly to let the fish have line. All dictated by the feel through the rod and my experience.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I’ve never used back winding. That’s what clutches are for imo. Mine’s set below the breaking strain of the hooklength & I can slacken the clutch quick enough if necessary - which is very rarely.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
HI, How do you backwind when playing a fish??
can it be done with any reel??
Just a thumb on the rim of any pin does the job nicely, can get a bit warm tho'...... (Cue inane comments..😜🤣🤣🤣)

62tucker

Site Supporter
Always backwind if possible but still have clutch set if needed. Especially when netting fish.
Clever bloke who can do all 3

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I have a slack-ish clutch and let em run, but use a finger on the spool to control the run... you get a feel for how much pressure you can exert

As this man says. A lot of what we do is down to Experience and is hard to put into print. When playing a Barbel for instance you gain line occasionally but, you can ‘ feel ‘ the fish getting ready for another lunge. Hard to explain really.

rd115

The Touch ™
Site Supporter
The secret to backwinding is a good Aberlour whisky, at least 16yo, works with any reel :afro: