Back to the Derg!

Status
Not open for further replies.

melstone

Hello all.
Me and my mate are going back to Lough Derg in June and wondered if anyone had blessed Ireland with their presence this early in the year.
After a succesful trip last year, which you can read about here: http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/38908
we decided to give it another go and see if we couldnt top the 100lb mark this time around. This time we are taking the groundbaiting machine that is called Big D (thats a bloke, not a real machine btw!) so it will give us more time to bag.
Any comments and suggestions will be welcomed as much as they were last year, so lets hear what you have to say!
Look forward to hearing from you all.
Malc, Wilson and Big D.

thorne

Only fished Derg once before and caught nothing.

Suggest you up the caster order we have 8 gallons for a weeks fishing,just for two of us costly but what the heck your fishing solid for a week that content will probably hold the fish for longer.

As others have said bream fishing has gone off in some area's, we have not caught so many in the last few years mainly hybrids and roach but not as big as your fish, roach that is.

Still if your at least catching as you did last year rewards for putting in the graft.

Be happy.

Malc Thorne

wardwa

Have been going to Killaloe and fishing the Derg for last 6 years.The fishing has detiorated but it's now a case of fishing early or late in the day.Going over again on 12th May for a week - staying in Killaloe and will no doubt have a couple of days on the Lough and also try the Scariff River for the first time.The chap to speak to is TJ at his tackle shop in Ballina - he also has a website - TJ's Angling Centre - he normally prebaits swims for us and then takes us to them on his boat - he is well worth speaking to and comes highly recommended.We are also going over in September and thought we would try staying in Scariff or nearby - any suggestions ? - do you go through Anglers World or book direct ?

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Try us for your bookings.
I would use pellets and corn rather than casters.They are too expensive and go off.The small pellets hold them for ages in your swim.

wardwa

What pellets would you suggest ? we've already booked our May trip and arranged the ferry for Sept and the first weeks accomadation - looking for something for the last 6/7 days - usually stay in Killaloe area - thought we would try Scariff area

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
I use neptune products,but try the small halibut pellets bream love them.You will need to band them for hookers or buy some carp vader hooking pellets.They do a scnithzel falour which is spicy sausage and believe me everything loves them.dont feed them just use as a hooker.

melstone

any good swims in the killaloe or tomgraney harbour area you people know about? We want to make sure we have a back up plan just in case.
Cheers!

wardwa

TJ is the man to keep in touch with - http://www.tjsangling.com/ - will have up to date information and can supply bait , prebait , etc - well worth speaking to - were off on 12th May for a week - will let you know how we get on - Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.