Back surgery

Riche

Just had an op to shave off some disc in my lower back... (mircodiscectomy)

Wondered if anyone else has had a similar op and how long it took to recover and get put on the bank again?

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I had a Laminectomy on my L5 and L4 toshave some material off that was pressing on my nerve canal, which was sending messages to my brain basically telling me that my left leg from my toes to my hip was in pain and getting worse. Had the op and immediately ftrom that moment the pain ceased, l was told not to drive for 6 weeks, and to be honest for ythe first 4 weeks l wouldnt have wanted to, l didnt go fishing till week 7.
From not being able to walk for more than 100 metres, l can now go 10 miles if needed.
I would say dont rush things mate, let your body heal properly, and you will feel the true benefits in the long term, it was the best thing l have ever had done.
Good luck.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I may be looking at having some of my vertebrae bolted up as I have collapsed discs in my lower back... I had the cortisone injections under a general anasthetic and 2 sets of nerve ablations (they burn the nerve endings off to alleviate the pain) that in itself is no picnic, as its done under local but you can still feel them wiggling the electrodes about and then stimulating the nerve... and the burning off is murder... to top all that its still painfull to sit or stand for any length of time... good luck with the op Riche take care o' yerself (y)

Riche

Sh!t Arry, that sounds painful as hell! I was in agony before my op, but it’s great now being free of any pain and getting a full night of sleep.

Hope you manage to get yours sorted buddy as it doesn’t sound as though it’s much fun

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Sh!t Arry, that sounds painful as hell! I was in agony before my op, but it’s great now being free of any pain and getting a full night of sleep.

Hope you manage to get yours sorted buddy as it doesn’t sound as though it’s much fun
Getting up needs to be performed with due care and attention otherwise the back goes into spasm and you end up on the floor saying rude words... take care chap... (y)

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I've only had a bad back once, that was enough. Glad Riche and Nutmeg are now pain free, it must feel like a miracle.
Wish you well for the future, Arry!

But if I ever had a spinal problem again, I'd get myself off to Fitzpatrick Referrals.
Noel is the master.
And after the op, I'd get to be joined in the therapy pool by a couple of gorgeous lycra-clad water nymphs.
Perhaps.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Let us know how you develop and good luck. I need same op (L3) I’ve no feeling in my left leg below my knee but have refused the op for now as I can still ride my bike and can run a little. Every so often I get back and can’t do much but it only last a week or two. I’ve put it off because they said the feeling in my leg might not come back as the nerve might stay squashed. But I suppose I’ll never know if I don’t go.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Hope your back improves, just don't rush into things. Over the last 5 years I know 3 people who have had op's to remove bits of disc, 1 went well , the other 2, well, best not go there. Guess which one had it done on the NHS.

davylad

Site Supporter
I sympathise with anyone with back trouble, not had much of it myself, just the odd bit of misalignment. I know pain anywhere is not nice, but fckn ell, back pain there's nowt worse. Good luck mate.

Riche

Everything seems to be going in the right direction since my op so hopefully I’ll be back out fishing soon enough.

Dry nets - hope you manage to get something sorted buddy!

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
I had a caudral epidural last year for L4/L5 and L5/S1 disk herniation. Luckily that and a very good physiotherapist saved me from the discectomy. Hope you get better soon