Back on the Wag....Loved it....

Keith Sparky

Managed a session yesterday at my local club water and as expected it was cold and hard going.....anyway decided that the lake was too cold and clear for a pole and instead spent all day fishing a proper match light 13ft waggler rod coupled with my Shimano 3000M reel and 2lb line with maggots for anything that swims......it was very very slow till late afternoon when I managed a few tidy roach and a few skimmers. It was the first time since last winter that I had used the waggler rod at these lakes but I must admit I loved every second of flicking out a light insert waggler....such simple fishing but looking forward to the next trip where maybe the pole will stay in the bag again....

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Waggler is probably my favourite method as well but it's been over 2 months since I fished a waggler after using them almost all the time for a good 4 months. Using wagglers sort of died out once the fish stopped well feeding on hemp. Initially I needed to switch to the stick to bomb maggot through bleak with a big bulk then in last last month when the stick hasn't really been needed to bomb through bleak it instead became as nessecity with the increased flow. However with the river now having dropped a fair bit and the bleak much fewer it may be time to get the waggler out again on some stretches. I just love how simple yet effective wagglers are!

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Like the waggler in winter on mixed fisheries,, that said, been enjoying the pole lately. My fishing going in phases at the moment to keep the enjoyment there, you can over do something (apart from Barbelling).

stikflote

Site Supporter
I didnt like using a waggler on the river because of so many false bites ,so always put a stick float on

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I didnt like using a waggler on the river because of so many false bites ,so always put a stick float on
Never experienced that myself. Maybe you're using them in too fast water? Hemp fishing (or maggot fishing where there aren't many bleak) through the warmer months (so slow flow) is almost all waggler fishing for me. Easier to cast and strike for me without sacrificing presentation in slow water.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Managed a session yesterday at my local club water and as expected it was cold and hard going.....anyway decided that the lake was too cold and clear for a pole and instead spent all day fishing a proper match light 13ft waggler rod coupled with my Shimano 3000M reel and 2lb line with maggots for anything that swims......it was very very slow till late afternoon when I managed a few tidy roach and a few skimmers. It was the first time since last winter that I had used the waggler rod at these lakes but I must admit I loved every second of flicking out a light insert waggler....such simple fishing but looking forward to the next trip where maybe the pole will stay in the bag again....
Morgans or Woodstock?
I fished Woodstock last week and had a similar day, very quiet until around 2:00 then was getting a bite a chuck on red maggot and waggler, mostly small roach and perch with the odd skimmer thrown in plus a bonus 3lb F1. I have fished the waggler a lot over the summer and had some decent nets of F1's

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
A coincidence that KS, did the very same thing on Friday, not used a match rod for years. The line I was using was too heavy, the peg I picked was a tad too close to a tree but when I got into a rhythm I thoroughly enjoyed it. Eventually got a massive bird nest tangle and went on the pole fished close in, ironically the stamp of fish caught with the pole were better ( roach) but I will re-group with the match tackle and go again .

Keith Sparky

Morgans or Woodstock?
I fished Woodstock last week and had a similar day, very quiet until around 2:00 then was getting a bite a chuck on red maggot and waggler, mostly small roach and perch with the odd skimmer thrown in plus a bonus 3lb F1. I have fished the waggler a lot over the summer and had some decent nets of F1's
Woodstock.....also had a couple of the new stockies that went in last weekend by the memorial peg.....think the match was won there last weekend as the new stockies were all balled up where they were put in !

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I started on the feeder today, while loose feeding over the top, caught really well, for half an hour, then went on the waggler, on the deck, in 4 1/2 ft of water, ended up 18 inch deep, catching roach upto 1/2lb, cracking day on the waggler