Back on the pole after 15 years...Need help with setup!

nickg

Hi all, I just picked up a shimano 850b margin pole and wanted to get setup for 2x topkits for my local ponds.

I've decided with drennan pull bungs, (not side pullas).

And then I want two different setups one for medium fish and one for potentially larger fish (upto 10lb)

Can you suggest 2x complimentary elastics here and whether i need to go for internal or external ptfe bushes here?

Thanks

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Are your two target sizes of fish in different waters? If not than I would use the same elastic in both topkits. I can never work out how people predict what they will catch next from a mixed fishery.

As for the actual elastics I'll let someone else answer that as I do it wrong.

nickg

Are your two target sizes of fish in different waters? If not than I would use the same elastic in both topkits. I can never work out how people predict what they will catch next from a mixed fishery.

As for the actual elastics I'll let someone else answer that as I do it wrong.

I agree to an extent, however,if you need to scale back for a 2-3lb hook length and size 18 hook amd therefore bait, you're probably not expecting to hook a carp although it can happen of course.

Whereas if you have a 14 hook and a big piece of bread/corn/ even pepperami or something you might expect to not hit smaller fish and therefore have a stronger elastic without risk of bumping iff small fish?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
OK, bushes. Choice is personal. I have always used externals. The main difference being that you need to cut back further for internals to take the same diameter elastics as externals. That can be a benefit as it will make the tip stiffer and potentially reduce friction and thus allow the elastic to work better.

My choice of elastics, without a pulla, is solid 12 in Winter and 14 in Summer. If 10lb fish were expected regularly I would step up to a 16 in Summer. With those elastics I expect to land 95%+ of the fish I hook from small silvers to 10lb carp.

With a pulla you can get away with a lighter elastic or hollows of the same grade (12/14). I have little experience of hollows but would think 8-10/10-12 should do what you want. As you gain experience and sort out what you prefer you can make a more informed choice.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I agree to an extent, however,if you need to scale back for a 2-3lb hook length and size 18 hook amd therefore bait, you're probably not expecting to hook a carp although it can happen of course.

Whereas if you have a 14 hook and a big piece of bread/corn/ even pepperami or something you might expect to not hit smaller fish and therefore have a stronger elastic without risk of bumping iff small fish?

I can only speak from my personal experience. My Winter set up is normally a 12 elastic, 0.13 mainline and 0.10 (2lb 10oz BS) hooklength and 18 B611. With this I land fish from a couple of ounces to near and occasionally up to 10 lb. This Winter I am trialing some NG Ultra Core 12-14. Still landing the same range of fish. People don't believe me, or they want to know how I do something the top matchmen cannot. I have no idea. I can only say what I experience.

I certainly expect to hook carp on the lighter Winter rigs and do so just about every outing where they are present.

nickg

I can only speak from my personal experience. My Winter set up is normally a 12 elastic, 0.13 mainline and 0.10 (2lb 10oz BS) hooklength and 18 B611. With this I land fish from a couple of ounces to near and occasionally up to 10 lb. This Winter I am trialing some NG Ultra Core 12-14. Still landing the same range of fish. People don't believe me, or they want to know how I do something the top matchmen cannot. I have no idea. I can only say what I experience.

I certainly expect to hook carp on the lighter Winter rigs and do so just about every outing where they are present.

Thanks really useful. Out if curiosity why does a pulla mean you can run a lighter elastic is it simply because it allows you to have about 6inch more elastic or is there any other wizardry here?

In my day we had an elastic and a bung that went up an inch or so into the top kit.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Thanks really useful. Out if curiosity why does a pulla mean you can run a lighter elastic is it simply because it allows you to have about 6inch more elastic or is there any other wizardry here?

In my day we had an elastic and a bung that went up an inch or so into the top kit.
When you use soft elastic, it enables you to ship back, without the fish splashing or charging through the swim, stops you bumping fish then You can pull the elastic to tighten it up to enable you to land the fish easier on the top kit, without miles of elastic out

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
What a pulla/pull bung allows you to do is tighten the elastic once you are down to the top kit. This means on the strike and initial run the lighter, softer elastic does not spook the fish as much as a heavier elastic hence the fish should react more calmly. This is based on the theory "the harder you pull the harder the fish pulls". That is what I am told but has not been my experience. First time I used light elastics/hollow the fish just bolted for the middle of the lake and broke me. Hence my continued use of heavier elastics. Just ham fisted I suppose.

Once down to the top kit you can strip elastic to reduce the amount that a fish can take, effectively turning the lighter elastic into a heavier one. Without doing this it could take ages to get the fish to a netting distance. There is a skill and technique to stripping the elastic at the right time and that is when the fish is coming towards you as I understand it. Obviously if you feel you need to you can let the elastic back into the topkit if a big fish runs again.

The other possible consequence of using lighter elastics is that you can use thinner lines and smaller hooks. Though I do that anyway.

nickg

What a pulla/pull bung allows you to do is tighten the elastic once you are down to the top kit. This means on the strike and initial run the lighter, softer elastic does not spook the fish as much as a heavier elastic hence the fish should react more calmly. This is based on the theory "the harder you pull the harder the fish pulls". That is what I am told but has not been my experience. First time I used light elastics/hollow the fish just bolted for the middle of the lake and broke me. Hence my continued use of heavier elastics. Just ham fisted I suppose.

Once down to the top kit you can strip elastic to reduce the amount that a fish can take, effectively turning the lighter elastic into a heavier one. Without doing this it could take ages to get the fish to a netting distance. There is a skill and technique to stripping the elastic at the right time and that is when the fish is coming towards you as I understand it. Obviously if you feel you need to you can let the elastic back into the topkit if a big fish runs again.

The other possible consequence of using lighter elastics is that you can use thinner lines and smaller hooks. Though I do that anyway.

Hi Neil, just going through my old tackle I found these two still sealed up

20201126-164832.jpg

Do you think these will do?