Back garden Astronomy week

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Would like a decent telescope trouble is in a suburb it would look like peeping.

One day we will all be space dust.

Can`t remember his name but not that long ago the Telegraph had monthly updates on the night sky and also told the backround of
how the stars and planets fitted in with Greek operas and other ancient sagas.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I'd love a telescope, but as with Monsewer La Git, I'd get accused of peeping at folks... also there is the fact that living in a small town, light pollution ruins any stellar veiws

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It's a game of two halves with me. I don't have a telescope, but I do have digital SLR with 3 lenses and one of those is a telephoto with a very good zoom. The cloud so far though has been hit and miss, and the mist/fog hasn't helped. I'm hoping for a clear sky at night over the weekend just to see what the camera is capable of.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Of course. I'm going to try a couple of shots of the moon...and I don't mean the female a few doors up doing her naked yoga. :cool:

Photography is another of my hobbies.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'd love a telescope, but as with Monsewer La Git, I'd get accused of peeping at folks... also there is the fact that living in a small town, light pollution ruins any stellar veiws

with you on that

yet just travelling out onto the marsh a mere 20 min drive, you can look up and see the milky way clear as night

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
The ISS has been zipping over after 21.00 this week.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
The best thing about working out here in the sticks...sitting outside at night either with one of my telescopes or just my own eyes watching the likes of the ISS, a multitude of satellites and the occasional meteor cross the sky.

One of my favourite things about the later half of the year is my favourite constellation is visable again Orion, so i get to watch for the supergiant star Betelguese going supernova and i get to look at the Orion nebula.

Some of you may have seen the classic film Blade Runner and remember "Roy Batty" (the late great Rutger Hauer) speech when he mentions "Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion" , well that is the point in time when i became interested the constellation Orion, i wanted to know what attack ships would be doing out there ....... Betelguese is the shoulder of Orion that "Roy" was talking about, it is due to go (in reality it could already have gone because it's 643 light years away) supernova and i've been watching it for years, since before i had my first telescope, even back when i was a kid travelling around i would sit outside my trailer at night staring into space, especially at Orion, i'm 47 now and still watching, waiting, hoping i see it when that beautiful big red supergiant sun goes bang.