Back after many years , rod suggestions

Hello new member, was very in to corse and river fishing 30yrs ago . Then as most young lads do you stop or dip in and out until you hit middle age. But its a passion that's always been there.
Well after a week up the log cabins at the brick pit in lancs, and seeing my boy catch his first fish im "hooked " again.
But its changed alot. Carp are very present now. And I enjoyed the light tackle approach. My very old mitchell 13ft specimen match rod took a work out with a new small shakespeare match reel with 4lb line.
And my two old carp rods felt there age.
So far ive picked up a cheap drennan series 7 13ft power waggler, some daiwa black widow carp rods. Reels well my first proper reel made such a impression 30yrs ago I bought it again shimano aero 2500m . Old shimano reels!! How much!!!!!
I've picked up some old shimano 6010 gt baitrunners for the carp rods.
And a shimano super aero match re for the drennan waggler.
Now I'm after a quality light silver rod for the 2500m . I don't mind searching for used ones. Did buy a maver abyss 2000 match 14ft that felt really nice until I noticed glue on the 2nd but last eye. Scrapped it odd and last few inches twist in rod but don't come out , spliced tip style repair?
So a 13 to 15ft light silver rod. Did see a 13ft drennan acolyte ultra for £100. If I'd know what it was I would have got it.
Pic 1 my boys first fish
Pic 2 90s pic from Caerphilly Castle
Can't find any information on that mitchell rod 13ft specimen match rod. It must be close if not 40yrs old. It still feels good and has never missed a beat. 23lb carp, 5lb chub, 4lb brown trout. Any information on that would be amazing. And recommendations on light silver rod 2nd hand or new.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211019-095033_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211019-095033_Gallery.jpg
    768.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 20210904_195153.jpg
    20210904_195153.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 43

tincatim

Site Supporter
Welcome back to fishing and welcome to the forum. I’m there’ll be plenty that can provide advice on a silvers rod, I’d imagine most will suggest the Drennan Acolyte.
I’ve got a Cadence CR10 #2, it’s a 12ft float rod that’s pretty light. They do a #1 which is even lighter.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I am not a million miles away from you, unfortunately we are a bit stuck for variety regarding availabilty of rods in our area......If Drennan or Shakespeare don't make it you generally can't have one, but if you want any advice give me a PM

Thank you John. The carp side , I'd thought I'd go 2nd hand to see if I get in to it. That drennan series 7 13ft power waggler with a drennan series 7 feeder reel £32 , 3xblack widow carp rods older ones , unused tags on £55 . Reels i thought a bit expensive, but its a nostalgia thing. Shimano aero 2500m £21 Shimano aero super match re £28 and 3 x 6010 gt baitrunners £90. Why are they so expensive???!!! I got cygnet quick lock rod pod , read some reviews and I liked the look of it. £50 2nd hand unused. With all the extra bars. Cool bit of kit. Never had one. Bobbins off amazon ND T3 bobbins, some are so expensive! These are really well made £19 , better than the old washing up liquid tops I used back in the day. But alarms I got given delkim conversions, all work still. Bit of retro . Had a team daiwa rod holdall that is toast , but done me proud . And found a like new one on the bay for £12 . And I'll never ever get rid of my shakespeare box. Its batterd, but to me its my whole fishing journey day dot until now.
That maver abyss 2000 match rod was £30 , but I should get some money back , so if it owes me £15 might be worth a salvage repair it feels a lovely rod.
But I might treat my self to a acolyte ultra , maver signature pro , or the top daiwa ones if I do a lot of fishing.
Thinking of a feeder rod to. But have not got a clue, never really fished them.
Be still water silvers, small carp. And local small rivers trout , grayling , dace and chub?

nejohn

Site Supporter
Thank you John. The carp side , I'd thought I'd go 2nd hand to see if I get in to it. That drennan series 7 13ft power waggler with a drennan series 7 feeder reel £32 , 3xblack widow carp rods older ones , unused tags on £55 . Reels i thought a bit expensive, but its a nostalgia thing. Shimano aero 2500m £21 Shimano aero super match re £28 and 3 x 6010 gt baitrunners £90. Why are they so expensive???!!! I got cygnet quick lock rod pod , read some reviews and I liked the look of it. £50 2nd hand unused. With all the extra bars. Cool bit of kit. Never had one. Bobbins off amazon ND T3 bobbins, some are so expensive! These are really well made £19 , better than the old washing up liquid tops I used back in the day. But alarms I got given delkim conversions, all work still. Bit of retro . Had a team daiwa rod holdall that is toast , but done me proud . And found a like new one on the bay for £12 . And I'll never ever get rid of my shakespeare box. Its batterd, but to me its my whole fishing journey day dot until now.
That maver abyss 2000 match rod was £30 , but I should get some money back , so if it owes me £15 might be worth a salvage repair it feels a lovely rod.
But I might treat my self to a acolyte ultra , maver signature pro , or the top daiwa ones if I do a lot of fishing.
Thinking of a feeder rod to. But have not got a clue, never really fished them.
Be still water silvers, small carp. And local small rivers trout , grayling , dace and chub?
Rather than visit the local tackle shops if you are looking for kit then I would recommend a trip over the bridge to Bristol Angling centre they have a better selection than you will find locally and a genuinely good guys also if you are looking at fishing rivers a trip up to Woody's at Hereford might be worth a trip. I can't really help with the carp tackle as it not my thing (don't have the patients to sit waiting for 1 large fish to come along) but I am ok with general coarse fishing. If you are looking for a general purpose float rod you could do worse than having a look on the Maver web site at the clearance section they are selling 13ft MVR's for £80, these are pretty good rods and just a bit of a step down from the signature pro's but for less than half the price (don't get me wrong nothing wrong with the siganture pro's I actually have one and quite like it) if you are considering Acolyte/Signature pro money check out the Matrix Horizon Pro also, Bristol Angling Centre had some in stock a couple of weeks ago and they felt very nice

Welcome back to fishing and welcome to the forum. I’m there’ll be plenty that can provide advice on a silvers rod, I’d imagine most will suggest the Drennan Acolyte.
I’ve got a Cadence CR10 #2, it’s a 12ft float rod that’s pretty light. They do a #1 which is even lighter.
I'll check them out. I'm totally ignorant to tackle these days. I know normark had some nice stuff back in the day. Way out of a teens budget. And wife has made me sell the cosworths so need to treat my self

Rather than visit the local tackle shops if you are looking for kit then I would recommend a trip over the bridge to Bristol Angling centre they have a better selection than you will find locally and a genuinely good guys also if you are looking at fishing rivers a trip up to Woody's at Hereford might be worth a trip. I can't really help with the carp tackle as it not my thing (don't have the patients to sit waiting for 1 large fish to come along) but I am ok with general coarse fishing. If you are looking for a general purpose float rod you could do worse than having a look on the Maver web site at the clearance section they are selling 13ft MVR's for £80, these are pretty good rods and just a bit of a step down from the signature pro's but for less than half the price (don't get me wrong nothing wrong with the siganture pro's I actually have one and quite like it) if you are considering Acolyte/Signature pro money check out the Matrix Horizon Pro also, Bristol Angling Centre had some in stock a couple of weeks ago and they felt very nice
Whats your veiw on the cadence cr rods? Looking think the lv1 softest one would fit the bill. But the big but. I've used a mitchell 13ft specimen match for 25yrs. And while I was out gunned few times by carp at the fishery. It was due to the close island. I've pretty much handled everything that has come my way with this through action rod. And never have used a very light rod. So the current rods being a bit stronger for commercial carp won't feel that different? I did check maver site and I'm also tempted by the £80 deal. There is a few cadence rods on ebay at the moment so could grab a bargain?
For commercial waters I picked up a drennan series 7 power carp waggler . Like new with drennan feeder reel for £35 ish. Cheap enough to try it out. But it feels like a telegraph pole!

nejohn

Site Supporter
Whats your veiw on the cadence cr rods? Looking think the lv1 softest one would fit the bill. But the big but. I've used a mitchell 13ft specimen match for 25yrs. And while I was out gunned few times by carp at the fishery. It was due to the close island. I've pretty much handled everything that has come my way with this through action rod. And never have used a very light rod. So the current rods being a bit stronger for commercial carp won't feel that different? I did check maver site and I'm also tempted by the £80 deal. There is a few cadence rods on ebay at the moment so could grab a bargain?
For commercial waters I picked up a drennan series 7 power carp waggler . Like new with drennan feeder reel for £35 ish. Cheap enough to try it out. But it feels like a telegraph pole!
I can't really help you with Cadence rods as I have only ever handled one and that was the 13ft #2 and thought it was ok no better or no worse than other mid priced float rods that were available at the time which the Maver MVR would be one of. I will maybe suggest having a look at different rods but will only actually recommend ones that I have a good knowledge of, so on the few casts I had with the Cadence I can't really recommend or otherwise. You are also right about the Drennan series 7 carp waggler....it is a bit of a beast but at £35 for the rod and the reel then nothing really lost and I am sure there will be occasions when a powerful float rod is needed

I can't really help you with Cadence rods as I have only ever handled one and that was the 13ft #2 and thought it was ok no better or no worse than other mid priced float rods that were available at the time which the Maver MVR would be one of. I will maybe suggest having a look at different rods but will only actually recommend ones that I have a good knowledge of, so on the few casts I had with the Cadence I can't really recommend or otherwise. You are also right about the Drennan series 7 carp waggler....it is a bit of a beast but at £35 for the rod and the reel then nothing really lost and I am sure there will be occasions when a powerful float rod is needed
Yea that was my thoughts on drennan. OK thank you for the help so far.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Can’t offer you much that’s not already been said but, welcome to the forum Gav. Nice to have you on board. 👍

Hello John your in the know about rods , just picked up 3 daiwa whisker 12ft wrc 2234 carp rods. How old are they? I paid 90 for the 3 and they are pretty much mint. Any idea if these still hold up ? Or did I just waste money!!! Think they might be 90s rods?

nejohn

Site Supporter
Hello John your in the know about rods , just picked up 3 daiwa whisker 12ft wrc 2234 carp rods. How old are they? I paid 90 for the 3 and they are pretty much mint. Any idea if these still hold up ? Or did I just waste money!!! Think they might be 90s rods?
Afraid I can't offer much help as Carp rods are not my thing, I have only ever owned one and it was Northwestern rod many years ago, thought it was a bit numb and had no real feel so never looked at another one. Not my type of fishing, sorry

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
They are perfect... my buddy is still using his 90's 2.25lb Fox's... you can almost bend em full circle and he still lands lumps on em

Dropon

Hello and welcome,i have for sale a Drennan IM9 14 foot float rod. The rod is in excellent condition, it is very light to hold and is an absolute joy to use on running water ( rivers ) but equally at home fishing for silvers on still waters. The rod is complete, there are no broken rings or any damage. The reason for sale is that sadly my days on the river are over. The original triangular rod tube is included. I am asking £70 pounds or very near offer. You can collect in person from Ng24 area or arrange a postal pick up . Hope that’s some use to you.