Back after a few years away.....

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Evening all 👍

Decided to get back into fishing after a break of about 7 years.

Used to pleasure fish around once a week, mainly silvers and small carp on a local fishery, never joined a club or fished matches, Played around with float fishing and had a margin pole for a while, but really enjoyed feeder fishing the best.

Yesterday I got all my stuff out from the deep dark recesses of the shed, threw away lots of stuff that had rotted/gone mouldy/gone rusty, (thankfully my feeder rod and my chair are still in tact). I have a week off work shortly that is now empty following the cancellation of a planned golf trip due to Covid, so thought I'd take the opportunity to see what I can remember.

Went to my local tackle shop this morning, Needed new reel, some line, feeders and moulds, disgorgers, hooks, bait boxes, lots of bait, possibly another feeder rod and reel, some banksticks and a rod rest, a landing net and an unhooking mat. Have ordered a luggage set online which should be delivered early next week (old one had literally been eaten by something in the shed.....

got everything I needed, including a new feeder rod and 2 reels (go big or go home, right?)

The plan is to get out for a trial run next weekend, and then have a few days on the bank the week after next.

Looking forward to getting back into it.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Stewie, Hope you enjoy your return, let us know how it goes. :upthumb:

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum buddy. :hello: Like you I enjoy feeder fishing most though I do pole fish now and again. It sounds like you have been on a mad spending spree. I really hope you enjoy your week off and get lots of fishing in.:) Post a report of your first session.

davej1981

I recently returned after 20yrs off. The minute i got on the bank it was like id never been away and i was like a kid at xmas! Can safely say i firmly got the bug back

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Welcome - not long back myself after nearly 15 years off & loving every minute of it, hope you do too

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Welcome. I'm a feeder fan myself, though I do try and keep the float side of things going now and again. Tight lines. Be good to hear how you got on

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Welcome back. Glad you found this site and not one of the other "10 a penny ones" (in joke).

Stewie74

Site Supporter
@Markywhizz Yes, have spent a few hundred quid re-stocking the kit, but it should last me a while, and I prefer to buy decent kit than cheap rubbish. I’ve also got two full feeder set-ups.

Everyone else, thanks for the welcome, I’m pretty rusty so I’m sure I’ll have lots of questions going forward, and I will of course do a report on my (re) debut on the bank, which will in all likelihood be next Sunday👍

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Welcome mate, enjoy your return and let us know how you get on. Did your spending spree extend to a couple of mousetraps?😀

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@Stewie74 Loads of us returned to the bank, I've proper got the bug after 25years off and a few hundred quid that's just terminal tackle !!
There a really good bunch here no question is daft, if you don't get a reply it's cos no one's knows not that your being ignored, enjoy the banter fella.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
@Stewie74 Loads of us returned to the bank, I've proper got the bug after 25years off and a few hundred quid that's just terminal tackle !!
There a really good bunch here no question is daft, if you don't get a reply it's cos no one's knows not that your being ignored, enjoy the banter fella.
Where's that button?🤣🤣

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Welcome mate you've found the Hotel California, you can check out any time ya want but you may never Leave ;)

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Welcome mate, enjoy your return and let us know how you get on. Did your spending spree extend to a couple of mousetraps?😀

Welcome back. Glad you found this site and not one of the other "10 a penny ones" (in joke).
@Neil ofthe nene As a new member I have no idea what you'r referring to, although I did browse a few other forums before finding this one. Tumbleweed springs to mind.....

@Dave Spence Had to detour to a garden centre the tackle shop was fresh out of mousetraps lol. Will probably keep the new gear in the garage going forward!!

Had a wander round the lakes that I used to fish this morning, in the pouring rain. My favourite swims still look great, had a chat with the owner and it seems not a lot has changed, still very lightly fished and lots of fish in both lakes. One of the lakes has been extended in size, can't wait to get cracking next weekend, just hope the luggage arrives (online purchase, found out after ordering that its coming from poland.....)