Baby Pigeons

Robwooly

There's a myth that you never seen baby pigeons but saw one this morning, I thought they were two adult Woodpigeons but one was clearly a juvenille, thing is it was massive same size as the adult but more fluffy with colours yet to develop. It was also being fed by the parent which was a really awkward affair, so much so I thought they were fighting.

I hate feral pigeons but don't mind Woodies or Collared Doves, although the former seem to be eating all the time. What's your take on pigeons and have you seen a baby one?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
they are proper ugly things, covered in a yellowish down rather than feathers and with beaks far to big for thier heads

lots of pigeon used to nest on the city walls in canterbury, in the old putlog holes, saw loads when I was a kid and out birds egging

rudd

Site Supporter
Yes, had two in a nest in our pear tree last year.
Both died in nest (naturally) and I had to dispose of.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Every year we get a pair of Woodies trying to breed in a tree in our garden. Unfortunately, they always get disturbed by Magpies. Even had Magpies take over their nest and raise young.
The only time I've seen the Woodies have any success is when they've left it until late in the Summer.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Baby pigeons are called squabs. Squab pie was well known years ago, but don't think they had baby pigeon in.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Used to keep and breed pigeons, tumblers and show birds, had some nice featherfoots and pouters

Chervil

Site Supporter
At one stage I only had two Wood Pigeons in the garden, 'Fat Boy' and 'Limpy', which I put up with. Limpy was my most loyal customer and would be waiting to get fed. Even if we had been away for a couple of weeks, he would still be waiting in the garden as soon as you went out.
It's getting a bit silly now and I can half half a dozen, taking the feed from the ground feeder, so they get chased off (not that it does any good).
I also have a pair of collared Doves, the male of the pair will often see the Pigeons off.
There is a single Dove which hangs around with one of the Pigeons all the time, I did wonder if they could breed.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I've seen loads of baby pigeons over the years. You invariably do when you spend any time around farm buildings.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The pigeons we get in our garden are Wood Pigeons. Even my 4 year old niece is smart enough to realise that "they're greedy and eat all the food on the bird table". Back where I used to live someone bred 'racing' pigeons just down the road and the occasional stray and very tame one would come and say hello in the garden. And despite their name I've never seen a Birmingham Roller but I think there are lots of Roller pigeons. Same goes for Baby Pigeons, never seen one.

brian carragher

Site Supporter
I've never seen a Birmingham Roller

Once seen never forgotten, they're just nuts , seen a few killed over the years when they just cant stop or pull out and they hit the ground or roofs, for a slim tight bird they have a lot of stamina

Robwooly

At one stage I only had two Wood Pigeons in the garden, 'Fat Boy' and 'Limpy', which I put up with. Limpy was my most loyal customer and would be waiting to get fed. Even if we had been away for a couple of weeks, he would still be waiting in the garden as soon as you went out.
It's getting a bit silly now and I can half half a dozen, taking the feed from the ground feeder, so they get chased off (not that it does any good).
I also have a pair of collared Doves, the male of the pair will often see the Pigeons off.
There is a single Dove which hangs around with one of the Pigeons all the time, I did wonder if they could breed.
Exact same scenario except all my Woodies are called Chunk ( Well if the name fits...) Feeding them seems to draw the songbirds in although I wonder where it will end having seen Son of Chunk this morning. Also have the Collared Doves seeing them off which is pretty impressive as they are half the size, these usually operate in a pair which is just as well for a non native species.

Given that Son of Chunk is the size of Chunk already, Mr and Mrs Chunk must get jiggy pretty early in the year

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I bought her poetry book when I moved house.

I have never understood why the wider populace seem to have a downer on the Birmingham and Black Country area accents ... that is a beautiful reading.
PS i guess that I’m biased as I‘m married to one ;)

on the pigeon subject ... the woodpigeons produce a lot of poop (forever cleaning the patio and we only have a nesting pair).

Brian, am I correct in the understanding that domesticated and feral pigeons are all derived from rock doves rather than wood pigeon??

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I think it depends on your 'take' on pigeons. Being rural with a farm at the bottom of our road, it's a question of....

Feral pigeons = humane kill..
'Woodies' = humane kill.

They defecate in the animal feeds, grain stores etc. and make a mess inside other buildings causing a health hazard.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think it depends on your 'take' on pigeons. Being rural with a farm at the bottom of our road, it's a question of....

Feral pigeons = humane kill..
'Woodies' = humane kill.

They defecate in the animal feeds, grain stores etc. and make a mess inside other buildings causing a health hazard.
try living on the coast with the white flying rats

at least pigeons dont fly down attacking you and trying to steal the food out of your hands

and their muck is corrosive too

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
try living on the coast with the white flying rats

at least pigeons dont fly down attacking you and trying to steal the food out of your hands

and their muck is corrosive too
Unfortunately mate, it's illegal to 'take them out' so to speak. We have the same problem round here with gulls, there's quite a few on the club waters.

TonyA

Site Supporter
A few years ago one of my granddaughters asked me what that bird was and I said a wood pigeon , she answered Why? Does it burn.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I don't have a take on pigeons. I have thoughts and opinions.
Bloody Americanisms.