Baby Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Not sure if this question belongs on this forum but ere we go. My nan has a pond in her back garden and the blue orfe and golden orfe got a bit close [;)]! Couple of weeks later i noticed tiny fry swimming around! To ensure there survival i fished out as many as i could with a small net and am now keeping them in a small tank with aerator bit of common pond weed and a layer of gravel. They have been there for about 2 and a half months now and are doin fine but they havent grown at all! I feed them on crushed flakes and they eat this greedily! The only noticable change is that they are not transparent any more!
Is this normal or does something need to change [?] Id just like it if they were bigger than my thumb nail [:D]

Tight lines [:D]

Triturus

Try small live foods such as daphnia or white worms, that should pack the weight on

Neil

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
I bought some daphnia about a week ago but they seemed a bit large for the iccle things and didn't seem interested! Just have to be patient i think [:)]

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
there is about 20 fish! All of which are about the size of my thumbnail. Once they get to about an inch and a half in length then yes they will be stunted but i have a much larger tank already prepared to transfer them into! It was just i was wondering if this slow start was common?

Last edited:

bashy

bashy
no mate it takes time for them to grow. go to your local aquatic shop and but vitakraft baby energy rrp. 2.37 or there abouts it is a tropical fish food but it does help fry put the weight on, another good food for them is crushed trout pellet. if it happens again next year when you first get them out of the pond feed them interpets liquifry again it is a tropical fish food.
you can also get a lettuce leaf scold it in boilng water and leave it on your windowsill until the water goes green then feed a small amount of this green water into the tank as this is a microscopic food called rotifers. if you do want the fish to grow quickly there are a few ways you can do it one get a tropical fishtank heater set it to about 20 degrees c, as this is an ideal temprature for them to go on a feeding frenzy, but the best and easiest way is to feed small amounts of food about six times a day and do at least five 20 percent water changes, or one less water change for every feed, hope this helps.

bashy.

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
Aye cheers mate i heard about the lettuce idea!

Will give it a go and let ya know what happens [:D]

Thanks again [:)]

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
Hi granjuiceymoose, I would not feed the little 'uns crushed trout pellet, too high an oil content for them. I believe it can damage their internal organs as they cant digest it properly.

The lettuce "infusoria" yes.

Also another good one is HARD BOILED EGG YOLK, just crumble a pinch in the water a couple of times a day.

Hope this helps you mate.

catch you later, tight lines, dave....

bashy

bashy
the trout pellets should be fine if fed in small amounts, the fish can digest it no problem the oil and protein are what the fry need at this early stage.
the best way of feeding the egg is squeeze it through a cotton handkercheif, it takes a while to come through but it is a good feed, you must make sure you do the water change after feeding egg though as it does pollute the water pretty quick.
i have never had any problems with the fish i have bred with any of these feeding methods, the golden rule is little and often and keep your water quality spot on.

bashy.

Status
Not open for further replies.