B.R.A.I.D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piker

[;)][:eek:)][8)][|)][^]hi
just wondered what would be the best type of braid to buy for lure fishing? please include wether its sinking or floating and what strain[8D][B)][:)][:p][}:)][:D]

):)::--Piker--:::)(

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
PowerPro. 20 or 30lb b/s depending on the water. If open, 20. If snaggy, 30. Floats.

Newt Vail, Concord, NC. USA

Eric Edwards

I would go heavier.
I use 50lb Cortland Spectron for general lure fishing and trolling and 80lb Power pro for jerkbaiting

ERic

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Eric - interesting on the line weights. Since I only know of UK lure angling 2nd hand from forums, I'm always interested when apparent anomolys crop up and I've seen others speak of using what to me seem very heavy lines but never took the time to ask. So now I'm asking.

I use mostly baitcast reels (multipliers) with 6 to 7 rods. Some spinning gear for light lures but rarely. And the 20 lb powerpro handles nicely for open water use. With the 30lb, I can usually free a snagged lure by bending the hook out. And with fishing in weed, these are both small enough to cut the weed stems well.

And I wonder if your "jerkbait" and mine are similar. Over here, jerkbaits are the "stickbaits" where you have almost nothing built in to give action like a lip on a crankbait or a curly tail on a soft plastic. Action is all imparted by the angler. Walking the Dog is a typical jerkbait retrieve.

Eric Edwards

I'm using what would pass as musky gear for you I expect Newt. I fish mostly for pike using big-ish lures of five to eight inches and weighing up to six ounces. I'm also fishing for very big fish.
My tackle is similar to yours, I use rods of 6-8ft and mostly ambassadeur multiplyers.

The heavy line takes account of the stresses and strains that using such heavy lures imparts on the gear. I have actually cracked off a big jerkbait (yes, they are as you describe)on 70lb braid on the cast so I know it can happen.

The hooks on my lures are Eagle Claw 3/0 or 4/0. I doubt that I could open them out with 30lb braid but I can do with 50lb braid. Even then I lose the odd lure (and they're a lot more expensive here than they are where you come from [:(])

Eric

Simon R

Site Supporter
I use Fireline for all my lure fishing, its a floating line (although you can get it to sink) due to its slightly flattened cross-section.
The only reason I use it is because I bought a load of it (about a dozen spools) last time I was on holiday in the states (it's about a third of the UK price).
Spider Wire is the best braid I've used but it seems to be difficult to get hold of (parents are holidaying in the states at the moment and have full instructions what to get).

Tight Lines

Simon

TINY

Tiny
Climax specimen braid has got to be one of the best I have ever used and it`s diameter is so low it`s like cotton at 15lb breaking strain

Andy.
Datafile3.asp

STAFFS ANGLING SUPPLIES

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Thanks Eric. Sounds like you have the proper gear for the job then.

I live south of pike/musky country and forget that you folks have to use wire which has to make a difference. And will interfear enough with lure action that a heavy mainline won't make it any worse.

Also about the prices you pay for lures which makes losing one a major loss.

When I do my occasional beach/surf fishing and need wire, I've fallen in love with the 49 strand. Nearly as limp as regular line and will take a knot rather than needing all the crimp-on fastners. Certainly helps with lure action. It that what UK pike lure anglers mostly use?

carper2002

'Ronnie'
Eric what are you pulling ships the mind boggles50/70 lb braid ?

RONNIE (carper2002) a smoggy and proud

Eric Edwards

That's fairly standard gear for lure fishing for pike these days. I don't lose many lures and I NEVER leave one in a fish. You have to remember that the nature of the tackle is such that line gets some pretty rough treatment so it has to be extra tough. What's more, braid has no stretch in it and the drag on a multiplier doesn't give line immediately.
It might sound heavy but it works!

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.