Aylesford / Maidstone - free fishing ??

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I am looking to introduce my 5yr old son to fishing over the next couple of weeks as I finally have some tine off.

When I was taught at his age back in the Welsh valleys there were 20 free ponds within 15 mins of our house but now I am in Kent I cannot find a single one.

I am looking for a free water with some small fish - roach, Rudd, perch, etc for a simple and gentle introduction to this wonderful sport. Somewhere we can set up a short whip & fish to hand.

Everywhere around where I live is either incredibly expensive club held specimen waters with waiting lists, or day tickets - although that might work he still has the attention span of a gnat so any sessions would be less than an hour which makes it really expensive fishing.

Any help would be massively appreciated

Karl

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Fishing at Mote Park Lake at Maidstone is controlled by Maidstone Victory Angling Association, but you can buy day tickets for £6 at local tackle shops- Maidstone Angling- Perryfield Street and the one in Knightrider Street. MVAS will also sell day tickets in advance from their web site. Your son will not need a licence and may not need to pay (check that). There are roach, perch, and skimmers a plenty in the margins (given the right conditions) and access to the swims is via the Willington Street entrance. I discovered last week that there are some civil engineering works going on around the boat shed, so the disabled swims on the hard stands are not available. However, nearby platformed swims are. Not sure about alternative entertainment for your lad, but the boat hire for the lake at Mote Park (including kayaks) were operating when I fished there

I used to fish at Allington Lock which is public water, but unless you want to try jigging or drop shotting between the moored boats all around there, that may no longer be possible. A bit further towards Maidstone on the river near the Springfield library (Ringlestone bottom of Monckton's Lane) is stretch of the Medway which holds the species you are looking for and some bream. I haven't fished it for a few years but a friend tells me that it is still pretty active not only with increased river traffic round what is now known as the Millenium walk. The centree of Maidstone has skimmers roach and perch under the bridge which is still a public stretch

JR Hartley

Whilst it not on your door step it’s about 35 mins away Edenbridge has loads of free fishing the river Eden & local ponds in the area if your interested PM me and I will give you details of where to fish also keep your eye on Edenbridge AS web page as we hold a kids fishing week in august on one of our water it’s free for kids or a small donation the club takes no money from it but pumps it back into the Kids fishing week.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Fishing at Mote Park Lake at Maidstone is controlled by Maidstone Victory Angling Association, but you can buy day tickets for £6 at local tackle shops- Maidstone Angling- Perryfield Street and the one in Knightrider Street. MVAS will also sell day tickets in advance from their web site. Your son will not need a licence and may not need to pay (check that). There are roach, perch, and skimmers a plenty in the margins (given the right conditions) and access to the swims is via the Willington Street entrance. I discovered last week that there are some civil engineering works going on around the boat shed, so the disabled swims on the hard stands are not available. However, nearby platformed swims are. Not sure about alternative entertainment for your lad, but the boat hire for the lake at Mote Park (including kayaks) were operating when I fished there

I used to fish at Allington Lock which is public water, but unless you want to try jigging or drop shotting between the moored boats all around there, that may no longer be possible. A bit further towards Maidstone on the river near the Springfield library (Ringlestone bottom of Monckton's Lane) is stretch of the Medway which holds the species you are looking for and some bream. I haven't fished it for a few years but a friend tells me that it is still pretty active not only with increased river traffic round what is now known as the Millenium walk. The centree of Maidstone has skimmers roach and perch under the bridge which is still a public stretch

Don’t want to chance the river with a 5yr old - much happier on a backside peg - might have to be Mote Park if there’s nowhere free.

Karl

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Whilst it not on your door step it’s about 35 mins away Edenbridge has loads of free fishing the river Eden & local ponds in the area if your interested PM me and I will give you details of where to fish also keep your eye on Edenbridge AS web page as we hold a kids fishing week in august on one of our water it’s free for kids or a small donation the club takes no money from it but pumps it back into the Kids fishing week.

That sounds promising - not the river but certainly stillwaters.

Being 35 mins away restricts a casual half hour dangle after work in the evenings but good for weekends.
thanks

Karl

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Don’t want to chance the river with a 5yr old - much happier on a backside peg - might have to be Mote Park if there’s nowhere free.

Karl

With regard to paying at Mote Park, effectively I will be fishing with him accompanying me - I have sorted an EA licence but I will have to pay to fish there really.

Karl

Cobweb

Site Supporter
With regard to paying at Mote Park, effectively I will be fishing with him accompanying me - I have sorted an EA licence but I will have to pay to fish there really.

Karl
As I mentioned earlier you need to book in advance (I think) check with either MVAS or Maidstone Angling

I like fish

I have no idea what I'm doing here and so I'm sorry if I make any mistakes but could anyone anyone be kind enough to tell me what fish are at mote park

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I have no idea what I'm doing here and so I'm sorry if I make any mistakes but could anyone anyone be kind enough to tell me what fish are at mote park
Pretty much a good range of course fish, roach skimmers bream pike, gugeon and good sized carp. For full details contact Maidstone Victory Angling as they control the fishing rights at Mote Park.

I like fish

Thank you so much and am I doing the right thing
Pretty much a good range of course fish, roach skimmers bream pike, gugeon and good sized carp. For full details contact Maidstone Victory Angling as they control the fishing rights at Mote Park.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Thank you so much and am I doing the right thing
? Not sure what you mean. I think you may find at the moment that MVAS has closed due to lockdown, but it is always worth a try. In terms of doing the right thing fishing? I was unsure when I started nearly 30 years ago. I think by now I would have stopped if I thought it was wrong. Initially I started as a way to relax from the pressures of work. I certainly find fishing as having a big wellbeing content for me particularly as I no longer work and have mobility problems. BTW you can buy day tickets to fish Mote Park from a number of local tackle shops. Maidstone Angling sell them as do Medway Tackle Supplies. Both are on facebook/have web sites