Avon rod

Freesolo82

I have been seeing a few rods with this description popping up in searches regarding river feeder rood and am curious to know what makes a rod a "Avon rod"?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
A combination of a 1.25lb TC and a through action would have been spot on years back. These days, the moniker has been misapplied to rods with more tippy actions and both lighter and heavier TCs. You also find that most rods described as being Avons will be supplied with a quiver section in addition to the Avon top. That wasn't a requirement of the original Avon rods, but many seem to expect a quiver section these days.

frothy

Ye olde river rod, get yourself a Avon Rod nipper and you can ledger and float fish (badly) with it... jack of all trades master
of none. It was almost a passage or right to own/use one back in the day ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Avon/quiver rods are really usefull things. With the quiver tips in they are often as good as actual feeder rods of similar prices and the Avon tops are good the likes of surface fishing, pellet wagglers, light spinning and at a push short range normal waggler fishing in situations where not much finesse is required. You’d never have one as your daily driver so to speak but they are a handy third rod to have in the bag behind your primary float and feeder rods.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The term "avon rod" was first used many years ago when a carp rod was 1.75/ 2lb test curve and would have been split cane 1 to 1.5 lb test curve intended for fishing the Hampshire Avon and as interest grew in specimen hunting became popular enough to appear in most rod builders catalogues of the time.
Fast forward a bit and Masterline produced under John Wilsons advice supposedly a John Wilson Avon rod that was the most versatile rod ever and continues in production today making it the longest running rod basically similar to the original, although Masterline have passed through a few different partners over the years its still available today and is what most people think of when the term avon rod comes up.
The clever bit about the John Wilson rod was that it could be fished at two lengths and an additional quiver tip top gave two top options so it was a very versatile tool that would manage lots of float fishing or feeder fishing making it a true combination rod unlike the multi section garbage sold in the likes of Woolworths that were supposed to cover everything from boat fishing at sea to trotting a river with a mixture of butts,middles and tops.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I always thought that the term 'Avon' applied to the action of the rod. A match rod would have a TC of around 12 oz and be a tip action whereas an Avon would have a TC of around 1.25 lb and bend right through the blank.

cockneybob

CockneyBob
Site Supporter
I have the John Wilson Travel Avon Quiver rated 3 - 8lb comes with 3 quiver tips and solid tip, I have caught 10lb River carp on it and it handled it with no problem, good balance and a loverly rod to fish with

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I have the travel version of the Wilson Avon quiver and agree it’s a very good rod for the price. Think a 4lb to 8lb line rating would be more accurate for it though with 5-6lb being the sweet spot.

cockneybob

CockneyBob
Site Supporter
That is just the line rating on the rod, I agree I use 6/8lb line depends where I am fishing with a lighter hook length