Avon rod and pin

Don’tTellEmYourName

I’ve got the Advanta pin and it’s a really decent bit of kit. Well made, smooth, spins like a dream and the inertia is pretty low so works well for trotting (although shouldn’t really make much difference for margin carp).
99BC2941-6BDB-4049-8BA1-ED399FB86D5B.jpeg

But…I wouldn’t pay £65 for it tbh. I’m a bit shocked AD have got it listed for that! I got mine when they had a sale on, about £40 I think. If they do that again or for around £50 definitely get one.

The other cheap pin people recommend for still water margin fishing is the NGT one. Never used one but you can get those for about 40 I think.
The current Angling Direct deal had the Advanta pin at £48.74. So I bought one. Definitely spins very freely. Should be good for trotting with a 14 foot rod.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I use a 14ft Hardy Marksman float rod or my 15ft or 17/20ft all with pins for my margin work. I like to use pole floats directly under the rod tip, so the longer rods are better than short. But if you want to use a waggler then a 12/ 13 ft will do. I also have an old pole with a cup on to feed directly over the float.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Hi Nat, I bought the Korum All-rounder for my son (11’ 1.25) and he uses it with my Okuma Aventa Pro pin for margin work. It’s perfect for that application.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
Hi Nat, I bought the Korum All-rounder for my son (11’ 1.25) and he uses it with my Okuma Aventa Pro pin for margin work. It’s perfect for that application.
I bought two greys prodigy TXL specimen rods 12ft 1.5lb and two daiwa ss2600 for tench/ big roach/ small carp on alarms.

I'm after a hardy float rod and a pin to match for margin float fishing. Just a waiting game for the right gear to come along. I have already missed a few 😬🙄

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Another rod consideration would be the Korum Power Glide 12 - 14ft float rod. Been very impressed with mine. As an aside I owned the original JW Avon Quiver tip rod and it was my go to rod for about 20 years until it got superseded by other rods I bought 10 years ago. It had occasional outings, i.e when John died I had a day trotting with a pin for roach in his honour, before I sold it. Lovely bit of kit in its day

As an occasional pin user I have owned and used lots of them over the past 50 years and now only own two. I'd suggest an Okuma pin would be worth consideration. My Kennet (see my avatar) is a joy to use and would make a good secondhand purchase