Avon rod and pin

Reuben

Site Supporter
There’s a used Drennan Series 7 Carp Power Float 12ft on the bay at the moment. Never used one myself mind.

qtaran111

Site Supporter
I’ve got the Advanta pin and it’s a really decent bit of kit. Well made, smooth, spins like a dream and the inertia is pretty low so works well for trotting (although shouldn’t really make much difference for margin carp).
99BC2941-6BDB-4049-8BA1-ED399FB86D5B.jpeg

But…I wouldn’t pay £65 for it tbh. I’m a bit shocked AD have got it listed for that! I got mine when they had a sale on, about £40 I think. If they do that again or for around £50 definitely get one.

The other cheap pin people recommend for still water margin fishing is the NGT one. Never used one but you can get those for about 40 I think.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I would rather buy new. I don't mind buying used for something special but I do prefer new.

SeanB

Site Supporter
A Mordex Merlin might suit your needs, I've often seen them for around the £40 Mark so not too expensive.

SeanB

Site Supporter
Oops just seen your last post, you must have been typing the same time I was 🙄

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
A Mordex Merlin might suit your needs, I've often seen them for around the £40 Mark so not too expensive.
Bit more than that now... last one I saw was £90... I have a set of 3 for my Carp rods (all fettled by Leszek Delag (Watermole) with the plastic centre bossed replaced with Brass ones and the reels trued up and straightened... gorgeous they are now

SeanB

Site Supporter
Sounds like I got a bargain then, only paid £40 for one in good condition 😁

Reuben

Site Supporter
The Korum Glide rod has it’s fans. A 12 footer can be had for £65ish. New centrepins for your budget are a tad trickier..Lewtham Products Leeds 4”, Shakespeare Alvey Lincoln, NGT & a bunch of Chinese jobs are all that I could see for that money. I don’t know anything about them quality wise. Personally, I think dismissing quality second hand centrepins is a mistake but it’s your choice. Good luck with your search…….

Simon R

Site Supporter
I've only has a tackle shop waggle of those Korum allrounder rods but I was impressed with them for the money - the 12' version felt 'nicer' but I've never had a real love for shorter float rods.

I don't have any experience of that pin - I've got a couple of the Lewtham Engineering Leeds reels (5.5") which I've only ever used for trotting.
Years ago though I owned a Grice & Young Avon Royal Supreme which I used to use for pike fishing on an old club pond - only fishing for jacks up to about 6lb but great fun.

Simon

Yeoman

On the reel front, I'd go for a second hand okuma off the bay. If you get on with it and like it, you'll have a good reel to carry on with before you decide to get a youngs or something like that ( which you will after about 3 weeks of deciding you love pins)!
If you don't get on with it you can stick it back on the bay and get your money back, or even a few quid extra depending on the market.

Don’tTellEmYourName

Site Supporter
I’ve got the Advanta pin and it’s a really decent bit of kit. Well made, smooth, spins like a dream and the inertia is pretty low so works well for trotting (although shouldn’t really make much difference for margin carp).
99BC2941-6BDB-4049-8BA1-ED399FB86D5B.jpeg

But…I wouldn’t pay £65 for it tbh. I’m a bit shocked AD have got it listed for that! I got mine when they had a sale on, about £40 I think. If they do that again or for around £50 definitely get one.

The other cheap pin people recommend for still water margin fishing is the NGT one. Never used one but you can get those for about 40 I think.
Thanks for the review, I’ll keep an eye out for AD sales. I recall Bill (RIP) from Easy Fishing YouTube recommended the NGT as a good budget pin.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I have a Theseus Pin which is an exact copy of the NGT reel... very capable pin especially as I got it for a tenner, brand spankers In BAC in Bolton a couple of years back

solwood

Site Supporter
Agree on the okuma reccomendation, biased as I have 4!

Margin fishing on the pin is exciting, best way to explain it a pin is a 1:1 ratio a reel 4:1 or more. It therefore is more direct.

Personally I like to use through actioned rods in the margin. Both are now quite old but I use a Ray Walton 1.6 11ft barbel or 10ft tfg 2.5lb compact carp. I use the Ray Walton at docklow in the evening

I also use an even older daiwa connoisseur power float, fishing for roach on a water where the mostly doubles carp don't understand the bait isn't for them!!

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I'm going to go for an okuma Sheffield as it has been recommended. They are in bobco for £170.

As for the rod, I have been recommended a hardy. They are expensive but that's OK. If I like it I keep it. If not it should hold its value. Finding one is another matter.

As for the price of the reel... I'm going Into hospital in march and I just know my father will be racking his brain trying to find a way to lift my spirits.... 😁😇

Reuben

Site Supporter
Peregrine rods are very good too. Made on Harrison blanks. With your very healthy budget I’d phone Mark Tunley & get a custom built rod to your exact specifications. It wouldn’t be much, if at all, more expensive than a Hardy - if you can find one. Most custom rods by a reputable rod builder will hold their value as well as anything else.