Avon and Nene

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Another double header match weekend for me. I love catching roach - they are my favourite fish and any size from "dumpy squatt fish" upwards are good in my book. Sometimes I'll stay far too long fishing for roach when I should be targetting bonus fish - but I tell myself that I go match fishing for enjoyment!

Saturday - last round of the Barford teams of 6 League - 3 sections of ten above the weir and 3 sections below.
Our team "matchbox" has been distinctly unsuccessful all series - in fact I think I've contributed pretty much all the winnings to the shared pot! So given that we had no chance of winning anything as a team it was every man for himself in the final round.
I was very disappointed when captain phoned me to say that I'd got the last peg above the Sherbourne. It has been pretty hopeless all league (2-3 pounds of fish) except for one day in august when Paul Caswell had 11 pounds of bits & pieces off it. However - the river is now in winter trim and looked very different. That isn't altogether good news as this peg in winter is either chub or bust - more often bust! I could fish both inside and across with the same 6xno.4 stick float and started off on caster inside and fed maggot lightly across. Intention was to see if I could save the blank and then later feed heavily to stir up some chub action. I was pleasantly surprised to start catching odd roach up to about 5 oz. I've plugged away until 90 minutes from the end - when I piled in maggots to try to stir some chub action (and failed completely). During the day I had a c. 5 pound pike chasing most of the fish - which I managed to get out on 0.09 hooklength and a 20 fine wire. Hook lodged outside it's mouth. I carried it across the field and deposited it in the Sherbourne brook - so it would take some time to get back to the swim.
2 ounces shy of ten pounds at the scales - the exact same weight as my last match on the venue, which saw me fourth. This time there were 26 double figure weights in 60 pegs! Above the weir fished brilliantly for roach with three 18 pound weights. 28 pounds of perch won below the weir - and even the barbel fed.
So an enjoyable day - but ultimately not at the same race as everyone else!

Sunday - 3rd round of the Bedford Winter League (teams of 4) - on the river Nene at Ringstead Shallows (very close to @NeiloftheNene club waters). three sections were on the shallows, but the bottom section (where I was drawn) was 9-10 ft deep and wide. However - the river was pretty clear - despite having had a good flush through recently.
When I used to fish the Nene 30 years ago it was a roach match for 99% of the time - but this stretch is meant to be much more varied.
There was still some flow down the middle - 9.5m to reach that. I fed three lines - 4 balls of groundbait at 12m, loosefed casters & hemp at 9.5m and then chopped worm at 4m. All of them on the pole - I did set up a stick float but didn't catch on it.
The plan was to catch on the groundbait early - then catch some better fish on caster - before bagging up on hemp in the last two hours. Chopped worm line to allow me to rest the two main lines.
The 4m line yielded just a few ounce size perch - and I never had a bite on hemp .... but the rest of the plan went pretty well ... 16 and a half pounds of roach from an ounce to 8oz and a section and match win. The pegging was quite close and open so i could keep an eye on neighbours and even have a chat as there was no wind. Mark below me fished breadpunch and caught a lot of fish - but I was thinking I had the beating of him by 3 pounds or so as I knew my fish were better stamp. He ended up with 16 pounds and 1 ounce ... so it was much closer than I thought!
And to cap of the day - my team (Blunham) had two section winners, a second and a third - so were top team on the day.

As I said at the start - I do like catching roach :)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds good to me well done indeed, glad you’re doing so well at the moment 👍🏻Not much beats roach fishing does it 🙂

You’d have liked to have been on the winter league match at medley yesterday for the roach. Some jammy sod landed on a shoal of bream to win with 37lb but second was 28lb of all roach, third 27lb of all roach save for one big chub and fourth 23lb of all roach. Top two four man team weights were 109lb and 104lb so the roach were clearly on the munch! Didn’t surprise me at all as me and my grandad had between us probably over 30lb of mostly roach out of it the day before.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Thanks Silverfisher - that Medley match does sound good! I haven't been on the Thames this year and don't expect to now. Whilst we avoid frosts I expect it to still fish well down there?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah the thames has fished well every month since the start of July and I’d expect it to continue to do so until frosts and/or floods start occurring next month. It’s definitely fished better this season than last season so far.

Arch

Site Supporter
I miss the matches we use to have on the upper Trent. Stick float fishing at it's finest.

A little story of a numpty!

In one of the Derby summer leagues, where 50 teams of 4 used to fish in a 3 division combined match. This said angler (me) was running a stick float down my swim superbly, steadily catching dumpy Roach. 30 minutes before the all out, the numpty trashed his stick rig. The numpty had the waggler set up, but was massively overdepth for the stick line. Nevertheless, the waggler was ran down the stick float line without altering the depth, and low and behold the numpty started to catch dog Roach instead. They'd been there all the while, but because the numpty had been catching alright, he hadn't tried fishing overdepth.

Idiot.

rd350lc

Surprised they didn't go on the seed . Nice days fishing tho , sounds like there are more fish down there than our bit ( wdnac) upstream .

rd350lc

Yeah the thames has fished well every month since the start of July and I’d expect it to continue to do so until frosts and/or floods start occurring next month. It’s definitely fished better this season than last season so far.
It's funny cos the Nene around our way the frosts don't really do any damage , the floods are another thing tho 😞

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It's funny cos the Nene around our way the frosts don't really do any damage , the floods are another thing tho 😞
I think it’s the fact that one tends to be followed by the other over and over again from December til end of the season 🙁

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Indeed! We had 5 floods here last year. It’s already better than last year mind you as we’d already had one flood by now then, almost got one a couple weeks ago but stopped raining just in time 😂

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Surprised they didn't go on the seed . Nice days fishing tho , sounds like there are more fish down there than our bit ( wdnac) upstream .
I fished the wdnac bit in January a couple uf years back and there were double figues or close on every peg. So not too different. I was next to ivor stokes on sunday. I’ve known. sam cortese, pete laughton and andy webster since i was a kid

rd350lc

I fished the wdnac bit in January a couple uf years back and there were double figues or close on every peg. So not too different. I was next to ivor stokes on sunday. I’ve known. sam cortese, pete laughton and andy webster since i was a kid
My clubmates 👍👍, yes 2 years ago it was great , last year apart from the charity match pretty much blown away all winter 😭

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Well i was in flood! I grew up in north bedfordshire in the 80s and from about 86-91 was part of the friday night crowd in Andy’s shop. Lovely bunch of people. Eg. Chewy, jeff rice and mark franklin. Sadly departed phil
Deacon, along with nigel baxter and pete lee.

rd350lc

Well i was in flood! I grew up in north bedfordshire in the 80s and from about 86-91 was part of the friday night crowd in Andy’s shop. Lovely bunch of people. Eg. Chewy, jeff rice and mark franklin. Sadly departed phil
Deacon, along with nigel baxter and pete lee.
All very good anglers 👍 right on queue it has hammered it down with rain here tonight and I expect the river to be a brown mess tomorrow ....