Autumnal Antics

rudd

Site Supporter
With the very noticeable Autumnal weather conditions of the past few days gut feeling told me the bigger Perch may go into aggressive hunting mode.
How to go about catching them yet take advantage of conditions as other species also have a feed?
After working late Friday and having an early start down lake yesterday - no time to visit the tackle shop.
Only had half a pint of red maggots in fridge, a dig in garden only produced a few worms, not near enough to get tbe big Perch feeding on maggots.
Mixed up a bag of dynamite hemp and worm, 50/50 with brown crumb then measured three pints of this using maggot box and mixed up using rain but water. Steamed two slices of thick white - then bagged and placed in image punch box.
Took with me a waggler rod and two lure rods with the plan being - Ball in all groundbait (4 1\2 pints when wet) then fish and feed punch for a few hours with a big pouch of magvots every ten mins.
This worked with plenty of Rudd, Roach and Skimmers gracing the net for an hour or two.
A swich to maggot then saw a run of small Perch and bang, as a Skimmer was coming in, it was attacked very violently by big Perch.
On went worm bait but only managed slightly bigger Perch, several were attacked whilst being reeled in with rod slamming over until they let go of smaller fish.
Until one hit a small Perch and hooked itself, on bank it was estimated at around 2lb.
The maggots were still being pinged in the keep silvers interested and out came the lures.
Run spinners, jigs and spoons through feed area with no joy and every now and then switched back to waggler with mainly small Perch and Rudd, the occasional Roach of around 12oz with a few bigger specimen amoung them and continued fish being hjt by big Perch.
Still no joy on the lures so on went a small live Perch on a 5gram jig head using an ultralight 1 to 7 gram rated rod.
This was slowly twiched along bottom with the occasional bit twitch to bounce the bait fish higher in the water to mimic an injured fish.
On the third cast I felt a hit, waited a second the flicked into a strike, rod hooked over and an epic fight ensued with a heavy powerfull fish shaking its head and making for every set of roots or snag it could find.
My mate in next peg came and offered to net it as we werefjshing a hjgh dam wall combined with low water level and a 3m net handle required.
My famous last words as he netted it were I dont think its that big!!!!!

IMG-1792.jpg

YOU Decide ?

rudd

Site Supporter
Truth is we had no scales (I forgot mine) and estimated around 3lb
Several fish of 2.14 and 2.15 have been caught and weighed lately from area.