Autumnal Angel

robinta

4 weeks on from my last trip to AON and the weather had changed over the time Inbetween, with Autumn well and truly In place - after getting sunburnt on my last visit

I'd fancied a go on Lookout again, which has a greater percentage of silvers, but this is reserved for an open on Weds, so I headed for Bowes which is more carp orientated.

I'd wanted to get on one of pegs 1-5, as they seemed to be fishing well (along with having some shelter from the forecasted strong winds) and as 2 was free, I headed there.

With the recent change in the weather and a lot of rain, opinion seemed to point to a cautious approach as regards feeding. On arriving at my peg I decided on 3 options, all pole based unless it was really hard, when I could consider feeder or bomb.

My no. 6 section for my pole was still being repaired, but I'd managed to cobble together a "franken-pole to fish a bit longer using some sections and top kit from my current pole, and a few from a 20 year old Shimano Technium that was stuck in a corner of my garage.. The resulting mish-mash meant I could get a longer line in as long as I didn't go too far out, as I didn't fancy adding a hernia to my list of injuries during my life. I decided to settle at a point where the bottom had flattened out, but far enough from my short line, so picked a flat area at around 9m. I didn't feel I was missing going out any further as the water still has a decent colour to it, and there didn't seem to be that many fishing. This line was intended for ide and silvers,so I potted in a small amount of hemp and casters with the intention of letting it settle for 30 mins or so before having a look.

I'd plumbed up a line just at the bottom of the marginal shelf on the slope in about 4.5 feet of water on a 2+2, and decided to start very negatively, with 4-5 4mm hard pellets and a banded pellet on the hook. Speaking to the fishery owner before arrival and a bit of Internet research seemed to suggest building a line slowly and gauging a response was the way to go.

(my final area would be in the margins at 2+2, but I wanted to give it a few hours before feeding and fishing there).

I started on the short line and had a 2oz roach straight away on a banded 4mm hard pellet, which didn't seem a good sign of any carp in the area. However, The guy fishing to my right seemed to be amongst carp straight away having started fishing as I arrived, so I kinder potted the same amount of pellets again and went again with another roach.

I felt that I needed to keep the feed going in to attract the carp, but kept to my smaller amounts. I tried a few other hook baits and eventually caught a small common, but it was slow.

I fed a slightly more bait and decided to have a look on the longer line as 40 mins or so had elapsed since my initial feed. This followed a similar pattern, small roach and with a bit more feed, a few carp.

As the long line was expected to be for silvers I was using an 8-10 Slik elastic which was great for the roach, but when the carp turned up in full angry mode, they were taking an age to land.. If I did!

I returned to the short line and having upped the feed, found more carp in the Peg. Sweetcorn seemed to give me better bites.

On this top kit I was using a new elastic (NG Ultra Core 12-14 which is a matrix slik equivalent) which was far more suitable, but still the fish didn't seem to realise it was autumn and each one took a fair bit of time to land, and inevitably I still lost a few.

I'd landed a beautiful common of 6lbs amongst a few slightly smaller mirrors and probably far later than I should have, decided to look at my margin swim.

It was quite deep for a margin swim. (c. 2-2.5 feet, tight to vegetation 2-5 sections along ) and I wasn't sure how to approach feeding it. I knew a heavy approach could lead to missed bites and foul hookers, but decided to pot on some Robin Red Groundbait and a few pellets,and fish past the feed if I ran into issues.

Coincidence or not, the Gb seemed to attract a bigger stamp of fish and I alternated fishing the left margin and at my feet for the remainder of the session, catching fish to around 8-9 lbs. I alternated hookbaits and towards the end of the session paste made from fishery pellets seemed to be the best option, although not without the usual headaches it brings. As I'd predicted, fishing just beyond the feed seemed to give less liners and foul hooking.

I was using the same float ( a NG XT mini diamond) for both margin areas and a higher rated elastic (Amber Core 12-16), which gave me far more control, although still felt far to undergunned at times,with some fish taking off far into the next peg, and a few pulls and a breakage.

In the end, it ended up with around 30 carp plus roach and had an enjoyable day, probably having between 110-120 lbs or so in just over 4 hours.

The fishing had been far better than I'd expected, however after speaking to Derek on Peg 1 (who'd had a lot more carp than myself), he'd said he was using 11mm pellets on the hook, and never dropped under 20 elastic, all year round, which made my negative approach seemed off the mark, although I suffered very few quiet lulls during the day.

So my return to fishing, again leaves plenty of lessons to learn.

I should have reacted quicker to others catching around me, and changed to a more positive approach, but it hadn't stopped me having a good session.

Also, I'd just replaced all my top kit elastics, and as I tend to get on the bank once a month or so, had deliberately not gone for a 2nd 12-16 elastic or even heavier, as I expected the fishing to have been harder and the fish fight less and as such couldn't see the heavier versions being needed before next April/May.

As ever, the fish at the Angel proved never to underestimate their fight!

I did like Nick Gilbert's Slik type elastic (ultra core) a lot in the 12-14. Compared to the hollow it seemed to stretch at least the same length, if not further, but felt as though it continued to power up. It'll be interesting to see how it lasts and might replace my 12-16 next year.

Cheers

Robin

Birtleyheed

4 weeks on from my last trip to AON and the weather had changed over the time Inbetween, with Autumn well and truly In place - after getting sunburnt on my last visit

I'd fancied a go on Lookout again, which has a greater percentage of silvers, but this is reserved for an open on Weds, so I headed for Bowes which is more carp orientated.

I'd wanted to get on one of pegs 1-5, as they seemed to be fishing well (along with having some shelter from the forecasted strong winds) and as 2 was free, I headed there.

With the recent change in the weather and a lot of rain, opinion seemed to point to a cautious approach as regards feeding. On arriving at my peg I decided on 3 options, all pole based unless it was really hard, when I could consider feeder or bomb.

My no. 6 section for my pole was still being repaired, but I'd managed to cobble together a "franken-pole to fish a bit longer using some sections and top kit from my current pole, and a few from a 20 year old Shimano Technium that was stuck in a corner of my garage.. The resulting mish-mash meant I could get a longer line in as long as I didn't go too far out, as I didn't fancy adding a hernia to my list of injuries during my life. I decided to settle at a point where the bottom had flattened out, but far enough from my short line, so picked a flat area at around 9m. I didn't feel I was missing going out any further as the water still has a decent colour to it, and there didn't seem to be that many fishing. This line was intended for ide and silvers,so I potted in a small amount of hemp and casters with the intention of letting it settle for 30 mins or so before having a look.

I'd plumbed up a line just at the bottom of the marginal shelf on the slope in about 4.5 feet of water on a 2+2, and decided to start very negatively, with 4-5 4mm hard pellets and a banded pellet on the hook. Speaking to the fishery owner before arrival and a bit of Internet research seemed to suggest building a line slowly and gauging a response was the way to go.

(my final area would be in the margins at 2+2, but I wanted to give it a few hours before feeding and fishing there).

I started on the short line and had a 2oz roach straight away on a banded 4mm hard pellet, which didn't seem a good sign of any carp in the area. However, The guy fishing to my right seemed to be amongst carp straight away having started fishing as I arrived, so I kinder potted the same amount of pellets again and went again with another roach.

I felt that I needed to keep the feed going in to attract the carp, but kept to my smaller amounts. I tried a few other hook baits and eventually caught a small common, but it was slow.

I fed a slightly more bait and decided to have a look on the longer line as 40 mins or so had elapsed since my initial feed. This followed a similar pattern, small roach and with a bit more feed, a few carp.

As the long line was expected to be for silvers I was using an 8-10 Slik elastic which was great for the roach, but when the carp turned up in full angry mode, they were taking an age to land.. If I did!

I returned to the short line and having upped the feed, found more carp in the Peg. Sweetcorn seemed to give me better bites.

On this top kit I was using a new elastic (NG Ultra Core 12-14 which is a matrix slik equivalent) which was far more suitable, but still the fish didn't seem to realise it was autumn and each one took a fair bit of time to land, and inevitably I still lost a few.

I'd landed a beautiful common of 6lbs amongst a few slightly smaller mirrors and probably far later than I should have, decided to look at my margin swim.

It was quite deep for a margin swim. (c. 2-2.5 feet, tight to vegetation 2-5 sections along ) and I wasn't sure how to approach feeding it. I knew a heavy approach could lead to missed bites and foul hookers, but decided to pot on some Robin Red Groundbait and a few pellets,and fish past the feed if I ran into issues.

Coincidence or not, the Gb seemed to attract a bigger stamp of fish and I alternated fishing the left margin and at my feet for the remainder of the session, catching fish to around 8-9 lbs. I alternated hookbaits and towards the end of the session paste made from fishery pellets seemed to be the best option, although not without the usual headaches it brings. As I'd predicted, fishing just beyond the feed seemed to give less liners and foul hooking.

I was using the same float ( a NG XT mini diamond) for both margin areas and a higher rated elastic (Amber Core 12-16), which gave me far more control, although still felt far to undergunned at times,with some fish taking off far into the next peg, and a few pulls and a breakage.

In the end, it ended up with around 30 carp plus roach and had an enjoyable day, probably having between 110-120 lbs or so in just over 4 hours.

The fishing had been far better than I'd expected, however after speaking to Derek on Peg 1 (who'd had a lot more carp than myself), he'd said he was using 11mm pellets on the hook, and never dropped under 20 elastic, all year round, which made my negative approach seemed off the mark, although I suffered very few quiet lulls during the day.

So my return to fishing, again leaves plenty of lessons to learn.

I should have reacted quicker to others catching around me, and changed to a more positive approach, but it hadn't stopped me having a good session.

Also, I'd just replaced all my top kit elastics, and as I tend to get on the bank once a month or so, had deliberately not gone for a 2nd 12-16 elastic or even heavier, as I expected the fishing to have been harder and the fish fight less and as such couldn't see the heavier versions being needed before next April/May.

As ever, the fish at the Angel proved never to underestimate their fight!

I did like Nick Gilbert's Slik type elastic (ultra core) a lot in the 12-14. Compared to the hollow it seemed to stretch at least the same length, if not further, but felt as though it continued to power up. It'll be interesting to see how it lasts and might replace my 12-16 next year.

Cheers

Robin
Had a 6 hour session at the AON on Tuesday. Fancied a change from mainly carp, so tried peg 16 on lookout lake for the 1st time, with the plan to fish the margins left and right tight to reeds, targetting perch using red maggot or worm over light maggot feed. Alternating between pole top2 and top2+2, and using a 12 elastic, 6lb main and 5lb hooklength, and size 18 hook. Moderate success, catching 30 odd perch ( best about 1.5lb, ironically caught on mussel while having the odd put in for carp ! ). Still managed a 10 carp to 6lb ( which despite cooling weather still appear to be on steriods, particularly on lighter elastic ! ) and 20 odd roach and a solitary crucian. Also had a few casts to the island with a small maggot feeder which returned 4 hand-sized roach. Last put in resulted in a lovely small barbel on double red maggot. Bit surprised that water still had quite a bit of colour in it. No skimmers showed, but it was a beautiful sunny day and about 15c, so a very enjoyable trip.

robinta

Had a 6 hour session at the AON on Tuesday. Fancied a change from mainly carp, so tried peg 16 on lookout lake for the 1st time, with the plan to fish the margins left and right tight to reeds, targetting perch using red maggot or worm over light maggot feed. Alternating between pole top2 and top2+2, and using a 12 elastic, 6lb main and 5lb hooklength, and size 18 hook. Moderate success, catching 30 odd perch ( best about 1.5lb, ironically caught on mussel while having the odd put in for carp ! ). Still managed a 10 carp to 6lb ( which despite cooling weather still appear to be on steriods, particularly on lighter elastic ! ) and 20 odd roach and a solitary crucian. Also had a few casts to the island with a small maggot feeder which returned 4 hand-sized roach. Last put in resulted in a lovely small barbel on double red maggot. Bit surprised that water still had quite a bit of colour in it. No skimmers showed, but it was a beautiful sunny day and about 15c, so a very enjoyable trip.
Sounds enjoyable.

I'd really fancied lookout as well, but we'd seemed to be the best day of the week forecast wise, so Bowes it was.

The carp showed zero reduction in their fighting abilities to me, so I can imagine the fun you'd have had on a 12 elastic

At least I didn't need the boat this time ?