Autumn bait.

Bingo

Now that the temperature is dropping is it time for a change of bait approach on commercials or do i stick with the humble pellet and wafters.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Now that the temperature is dropping is it time for a change of bait approach on commercials or do i stick with the humble pellet and wafters.
Mate went to our newest club pond this morning. It's basically like a small commercial. He had 30 fish, mostly F1's & decent Ide on double maggot fished on the deck. Normally pellet or corn are the baits on this water.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Winter for me is a time for switching 6mil expander for 2mil so I have 4 & 2 rather than 4 & 6. Also maggot and pinkie get an outing and corn is usually used as skin rather than the complete grain.

Feed will more likely be micros than larger and amounts on some venues cut right back. Even as far as feeding no more than 10 micros and a couple of maggots. Strangely though on my club water the colder weather means it is time to feed one line with a full 200mil of micros.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Beauty of more natural venues is you don’t have to worry about this sort of thing. You have your late summer early autumn elderberries and tare season and a bit of bread in winter but really it’s maggots, caster and hemp all year, hooker pellets play a part at times.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Pinkie, Maggot, chopped worm and 4mm soft hookers.

davylad

Site Supporter
Expanders and paste not as effective on our lake, it's maggot and caster etc from now on for me.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Winter for me is a time for switching 6mil expander for 2mil so I have 4 & 2 rather than 4 & 6. Also maggot and pinkie get an outing and corn is usually used as skin rather than the complete grain.

Feed will more likely be micros than larger and amounts on some venues cut right back. Even as far as feeding no more than 10 micros and a couple of maggots. Strangely though on my club water the colder weather means it is time to feed one line with a full 200mil of micros.
Do you fish the 2mil expanders on the hook, Neil? Size 18 or 20?

carpole

Corn still good but fed just two to three grains.Bread dobbed against a feature or poles up in open water.Also drop down expander size 4mils.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Until it gets colder, caster is king..... dead maggots also essential.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Off at a tangent, rivers rather than commercial lakes, this is the last weekend that I major on casters as a rule.
From June to now it’s casters with maggots as a (rare) change bait, from now on it’s maggots with a few casters for use in groundbait if needed.
i’ve got 4 beautiful pints of casters for the Wye champs on Sunday .... and the river is predicted to be 5m up on the gauge ...it’s been postponed

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
I went to Sessay on Wednesday and the F1s were still having a good chew.
Still went through 4 pints of reds for about 50lb a good day all in all.
Not sure how this rain will affect itbut had a day at Lindholme on Thursday on Laurels and had a decent day on pellet, not many F1s but some good skimmers and two good bream.
Winter matches start next Sunday and I know it will be totally different.