Autism, Dyspraxia and Angling

Stansthirdboy

Site Supporter
Another question for the hive, my partners son suffers from Autism and Dyspraxia, Autism is quite well known but not so Dyspraxia.

Dyspaxia is a lack of co-ordination skills, I've tried him out with a rod and line float fishing, unfortunately he ends up getting a bit of a birds nest going, I was wondering what the hives feelings were on him using a pole ?
i think his biggest problem is that he doesn't appear to have a dominant hand, and is equally clumsy with both.

Is there anyone out there who has experiemce with anglers who suffer from Autism and or Dyspraxia ?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
When I was coaching I had a lad with dyspraxia... I used a short whip or top two on a prolific venue and only for an hour at a time as their attention begins to wander after that... try to keep calm, as it can be quite hard work... be supportive and gentle that's about all I can add really... keep things as simple as you can and don't make the sessions too long

Arry

Site Supporter
If you need to support him to swing a rig out, just put your hands on the pole, not him... you'll need to do the fiddly bits like baiting and unhooking

Steve47

What I did with my boys was rest the pole on a bump bar with pole between their legs under the strap on the seat then all they had to do was lift when they got a bite then I would help them land it.they now like to fish feeder I cast out then they wait for the tip to go round and they land it themselves I lift the net out once fish is in,then unhook it.they don't have much attention span but they will sit all day when fishing.

Arry

Site Supporter
Take plenty of snap... lads get peckish and be patient it can be a bit hard I know, but you need to keep calm no matter what... even if the lad breaks summat, like your brand new landing net handle thay cost you £60

Stansthirdboy

Site Supporter
This lad has such a routine he never eats outside his 'meal times' not even a chocolate bar, we have to be very careful to make sure he has enough to eat down to the point of telling him how much he should be eating and drinking, plus he will only eat certain foods, mainly Mahrgerita Pizzas and Macdonalds, and don't get him anything but diet Pepsi !