Australian Pole fishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean-390

Gday guys,

I'm new to the forum and just thought I'd intorduce myself. I live in the Blue Mountains, just out of Sydney, Australia. I have been satlwater fishing for years, mainly catching flathead and whiting. I have recently started fishing my local river with corn and bread and have been pulling out some big carp and mullet. While trolling (or should that be fishing?) the internet I came across your site and the concept of Pole Fishing has fascinated me! I have just bought a cheapie 8m margin elasticated pole on the internet to see what it's like. If I find I like it I may have to buy a serious pole from ebay UK!

Pole fishing is not at all popular over here, I had not even seen a pole until I found this site. Are there any members on here who pole fish in Australia?

Another funny thing I noticed when on these forums is how much you guys care for your carp. Here you can be fined if you don't kill a carp you catch. They destroy our waterways and outcompete local species. Sure are fun to catch though!

I look forward to getting involved in this kind of fishing!

Matt.Newark

Welcome, I can safely say, if I had to kill what I caught, then I'd never fish again. Probably why I could never go sea fishing, I'd have to throw back what I caught.

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by Matt.Newark

Welcome, I can safely say, if I had to kill what I caught, then I'd never fish again. Probably why I could never go sea fishing, I'd have to throw back what I caught.

100% with you on that fella, but unfortunatley for the aussies, thats there rules. Always catch them and ship em across to our waters [:T][:T][:T][:T]

Milo

23/04/04 - 28/01/20
In Memoriam
What size carp do you usually catch?
We catch then on average of about 6 - 10lbs but some venues have them in the 20lb mark.
You will have fun on the pole but make sure you have the right elastic as they will run you rotten.
We fish mainly commercials for carp, this is where someone has dug a hole and filled it with small carp of around 1- 2lb.
We then catch them but put them back so we can catch them next week. The problem is they grow and grow till you get the sizes mentioned above.
We have had a lot escape into rivers due to flooding over the past few years and then we will have the same problems that you have in Australia.
Hope you enjoy the site, its full of good anglers who will give you sound advice.

sean-390

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Yeah, it isn't very nice. I'm an animal lover awell, but more often than-not the carp "slips right out of my hands!" back into the water [;)]

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by sean-390

Thanks for the welcome guys.

but more often than-not the carp "slips right out of my hands!" back into the water [;)]

what a shame [:D]

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
Welcome to the site Sean. [:W]
Shame to hear you're so clumsy. [:D][:D]
Hows your winter going?..bet you're freezing down there. [:T]

sean-390

A fishing licence is needed but this information is poorly distributed. If you went up to a family fishing on the weekend and asked them if they had the receipt for their fishing licence you would probably be met with blank stares.

I can remember going on family holidays and just fishing off the pier like every other kid there (I am 22 years old, so this wasn't that long ago)not having bought a licence.

The licence fees are fairly reasonable I feel:

3days= $6 AUS
1 month=$12 AUS
1 years=$30 AUS
3 years=$75 AUS

This is for year round fishing, no "on" or "off" seasons.

sean-390

What size carp do you usually catch?
We catch then on average of about 6 - 10lbs but some venues have them in the 20lb mark.

I would say 6-10lbs would be about the same in my local river. I haven't really fished much other freshwater. I hope to try the Hawkesbury River in the coming weeks.

Hows your winter going?..bet you're freezing down there.

It's actually been fairly pleasant for the last week...hovering around the 20 degrees Celcius mark. Nice for fishing [:D]

sean-390

There are also catfish, eels, big bass and some trout. If you drive maybe 45 minutes it turns into the Hawkesbury River, at this point it is now an estuary and you get the usual flathead, jewfish, bream etc. There have even been reports of Bull sharks swimming up that way too. They are very dangerous and known to venture far into freshwater.

Harry_Monk

Welcome to the Site Sean

I find Australia a fascinating place and would love to go one day

But call me a big Jessie but one thing that does scare me a little is the number of things that can bite you over there, from spiders snakes to bull sharks[:0]

dusstii

Gday, and welcome sean. so you dont fancy fishing for the bull sharks then??????????? lol

endura

The Bookie
Welcome Sean,
a mate of mine fished a knock up match with some of his mates a few
years back.
They all had big nets of carp. it broke their hearts to see the fish being skipped after they had weighed in.

Notice one of the lads mentioned that he was worried about things that bite over there. I went out with a girl once who now lives in Sydney,
and she had a proper bite !!!! demonbat.gif

sean-390

We fish mainly commercials for carp, this is where someone has dug a hole and filled it with small carp of around 1- 2lb.
We then catch them but put them back so we can catch them next week.

How big are these dams? Does it ever get boring? We have a similar place near us....a trout farm and it's quite boring, you catch a fish everytime you throw your bait in. This dam is not very big though...not even olympic pool sized.

The Big Fella

hi

i think one guy in Australia off Mders who has just emigrated is strat and he has took some of his fishing kit there I believe.....

he is used to fishing commercials but sorry no idea where he is living though?

The Big Fella

hi

Try e mailing the member "strat2" looking at his last post he is in Perth

Well ive started my new life out in perth australia and i just went for a quick nip down the harbour with me carbo mini and me Pxr spooled up with 12lb braid to a 20lb shockleader

flciked it off the edge off the marina with a little plug attach to the end "white one with a red head?" SLAM nice little black bream.

bagging mate!
12 black sea bream in around 45mins fishing!

took two back for the barbie!

not bad for me first attempt at the sea fishing buisness.

them carbo's bend double!

still give me a canal anydays and freezing weather!

still course gear in the sea! pukka fun

Simon R

Site Supporter
Another of our members who moved over to Australia a few years back is Mal (MrC)
This report is from a match he fished over there a few years back - no idea if this is anywhere near you or not

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/31020

And Paul T. who posts on here lived in Australia for a good few years - even fishing for the national team in the World Champs.

Simon

future star

Here fishy fishy
sean the commercials can be boring but they are usually larger than olympic sized pool and can contain some large fish and are tricky in winter (guess you dont experience winter like ours)

Status
Not open for further replies.