Attention to detail

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I must admit that I like to prepare as much as possible at home, before I leave home for the Dutch Festivals that I fish.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My Junior Club matches used to be on Sundays, so I used to go out on Friday night usually in Birmingham after the fortnightly club meeting in Digbeth, then Saturdays were all about the walk to the tackle shop then coming home and doing rigs/hooks up.

bluemack

Site Supporter
I suspect that you do yourself a disservice there Mr Chefster! But there will always be a spectrum of abilities, same as any sport. You can't buy success, although obviously it can make a marginal gain.

In the end we all have to remember that all that gear and bait we use is to help get the presentation from the surface down correct (for the day) and that is what those thinking anglers do ...as Ivan Marks wrote ... "think like a fish".

As an aside - did you fish against Paul Caswell when he was a regular at TBF? Cas is another of those natural thinking anglers ... he's always a danger again now on the Avon.
I remember Paul Caswell when he was about 15 or 16,we were in the same fishing club(the book and candle) in Redditch.
It was between myself and Paul who would win the aggregates going into the last match at Cropthorne on the Warks Avon,
we were pegged next to each other and he proceeded to knock out about 15lb of chub on the feeder,i weighed in a couple of pound.
It was obvious back then he would go on and become an excellent angler and so it proved,his dad Colin was pretty useful also.

carphauler

For me it matters, I don’t like mistakes during a match, which could be avoided, I always keep all my shallow kits made up in a case, I’m anal about checking the elastics, rigs, hooks etc...But I watched Pete Rice the other week, turn up late, quickly knock a rig up , every thing was in a mess, and win the lake, beating all the super stars 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂so I guess if you’re good enough, it doesn’t matter
The thing with Pete is he's very good at what he does, I've watched him many times when pegged near me and to replicate his approach seems impossible, it just doesn't work for me,I even chatted to him about on occasions, an awesome angler.

carphauler

Totally different than my experience then, some are more prepared than others, but I can’t think of any that don’t do any prep and ignore the details.
My statement was incorrect, there were a few that were like this, but like you say probably more that take prep seriously nowadays.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
The thing with Pete is he's very good at what he does, I've watched him many times when pegged near me and to replicate his approach seems impossible, it just doesn't work for me,I even chatted to him about on occasions, an awesome angler.
I had a day out wit ricey 5 years ago, it’s stood me in good stead, whilst I don’t try to replicate his style, I include elements of it in my fishing 👍

Silver fan 82

Is it a blessing or a curse?

Was just ordering some new hooks in a pattern I haven’t tried before, no idea if they’ll be functional, but it got me wondering, how much does attention to detail matter? Could it mean the difference between or bad days pleasure fishing and a good day or a match win or failure?
I always used to think it didn't matter but after loosing some decent fish now I would say yeah it does matter. If I tie a knot I'm not happy with it gets re tied or if a hook isn't quite sharp enough it gets replaced etc.

JLK

The very good anglers might have a natural talent but they also put the time and effort in to work things out.
By this I mean they will be out fishing at least every weekend sat and sun. Plus other days and evenings throughout the week. Not to mention that these good anglers have other good anglers knowledge on tap via speed dial. This is how you become very good.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I remember Paul Caswell when he was about 15 or 16,we were in the same fishing club(the book and candle) in Redditch.
It was between myself and Paul who would win the aggregates going into the last match at Cropthorne on the Warks Avon,
we were pegged next to each other and he proceeded to knock out about 15lb of chub on the feeder,i weighed in a couple of pound.
It was obvious back then he would go on and become an excellent angler and so it proved,his dad Colin was pretty useful also.
cas fishing the feeder? I didn’t think he owned a lead rod!! ;)