Attention to detail

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Is it a blessing or a curse?

Was just ordering some new hooks in a pattern I haven’t tried before, no idea if they’ll be functional, but it got me wondering, how much does attention to detail matter? Could it mean the difference between or bad days pleasure fishing and a good day or a match win or failure?

carphauler

Roachhauler
From my years on the open scene I would say no, some of the best anglers turn up with next to no rigs done, no hooklengths done, no bait prep etc.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I think it really matters a lot.

I’ve whipped on a spade hook sloppily in the past leaving a twist or curl on the line and not been getting bites then a change to a neatly whipped identical hook put fish in the net.

Making a mess of hooking a caster or corn resulting in bumped or missed bites is annoying on a pleasure session but potentially a money loser in a match.

Things like elastic tension, shotting pattern, freshness of bait, etc all make a difference to how much ends up on the bank.

Karl

squimp

Site Supporter
It depends on the situation; but as a general rule yes little things matter.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
From my years on the open scene I would say no, some of the best anglers turn up with next to no rigs done, no hooklengths done, no bait prep etc.
There aren’t many doing that nowadays......

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
For me it matters, I don’t like mistakes during a match, which could be avoided, I always keep all my shallow kits made up in a case, I’m anal about checking the elastics, rigs, hooks etc...But I watched Pete Rice the other week, turn up late, quickly knock a rig up , every thing was in a mess, and win the lake, beating all the super stars 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😂so I guess if you’re good enough, it doesn’t matter

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Hooks in question for me that prompted me to wonder, Guru F1 Maggot hooks in size 14 an 16 for slider fishing for Bream. Never used Guru hooks before but no B911s in stock and I already have barbed B611s as a back up should I start bumping fish. I found I was bumping silvers on Drennan Silverfish Pellet hooks so switched to a B520 and found it made a difference in a different situation on the river.

Having said that, being a pleasure angler at the moment I tie my hooks on the bank and think it's a bit 'law of the sod' that when I prepare more I do worse. It's a case of what's fundamental to your overall balance and what's 'detail' I guess.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I'd sooner be prepared. Gives me more time to think how Im going to approach my fishing that day. Also knowing that your rigs, hook lengths, elastics etc are perfect gives you that extra bit of confidence.

SeanB

Site Supporter
I think it does make a difference, but getting the basics right first is probably more important. For top class match anglers like Chefster, Maesknoll etc there is maybe greater benefit from getting the smaller details right.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I’m kind of learning the basics of float fishing rivers at the moment and one thing I’ve learned is that shirt button shotting on a waggler means tangles! Yet Dave Harrell seems to advocate it!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think it does make a difference, but getting the basics right first is probably more important. For top class match anglers like Chefster, Maesknoll etc there is maybe greater benefit from getting the smaller details right.
Reckon that’s spot on. Getting the basics and I guess a little bit beyond the basics is what takes care of say 90% of it its the extra attention to detail that takes care of the last 10%. Guess it all depends on what you want to get out of your angling really. I like to make sure I’m doing the right things so to have a good session but I don’t worry about trying to be perfect.

Whisker

Site Supporter
I can see both sides.

Remember well, getting battered by a young ‘un at Lindholme who rocked up with kit that looked like it had been begged or borrowed. He even had a bit of help setting up to start the match.

Jamie Hughes often mentions ‘that little extra edge’... so I guess a 1% better hook, 1% better hooklength, 1% better knots, 1% better float, 1% better rig, 1% better elastic... all adds up.

stephanie

always better to be prepared for what ever a day may throw at you be it number of top kits set up or types of rods or even same size hooks on different strength lines in my case even to how you shot rigs ie i might start off with bulk and 2 droppers but bulk will be of shot size that i can spread it out to spread shot or grouped up asa solid bulk to get bait on the deck quick

JLK

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Guru F1 maggot hooks are rubbish. They are too springy and when you hook a fish, the point has a tendency to spring back causing bumped/lost fish. The F1 pellet hook is a much better hook out of the two.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
always better to be prepared for what ever a day may throw at you be it number of top kits set up or types of rods or even same size hooks on different strength lines in my case even to how you shot rigs ie i might start off with bulk and 2 droppers but bulk will be of shot size that i can spread it out to spread shot or grouped up asa solid bulk to get bait on the deck quick
Stephanie, Nolley says that if you dont move your 30 top kits off Adams theyre going on ebay. 😆😆👍

Sam Vimes

Guru F1 maggot hooks are rubbish. They are too springy and when you hook a fish, the point has a tendency to spring back causing bumped/lost fish
I'd go along with most of that except them being rubbish. I use them quite deliberately for the reasons you describe. I fish light rods and lines with them on a water that's stuffed with decent roach. The problem is that it's stuffed with decent carp too. I use the F1 Maggot hooks knowing that I can clamp up and lose a mad carp without leaving a hook in it. Even with 1.3lb hooklinks. However, if I'm careful, and the carp don't go too ballistic, I can still get some lumps out. The hooks are excellent, you've just got to pick and choose when, where and how you use them. I'm a bit less than convinced that the name of them is particularly appropriate though.

bluemack

Site Supporter
I’m kind of learning the basics of float fishing rivers at the moment and one thing I’ve learned is that shirt button shotting on a waggler means tangles! Yet Dave Harrell seems to advocate it!
I almost always shirt button when fishing the waggler using groups of number 8 shot and i can honestly say i
cant remember the last time i got a tangle,if you feather the line just before it hits the water it should,nt tangle.