Attention to detail and preparation

The Landlord

Site Supporter
One of the things I struggle with is threading the small silicon tubing onto line when I'm making up rigs. One of our club members uses one of these to assist with the job. I ordered one & life is so much easier.
Also received a Levapiombo for removing shot & putting shot on the line :)

Attachments

• nash hook eye.png
    nash hook eye.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 18

stikflote

Site Supporter
MY peg usually looks like a car boot sale every thing every where, about the only prep i do is to make
to make my float rigs up , and hook length up but not many i nearly always go straight thru,
i dont know why i take a load of floats out because i only use about three of them
most of the time ,the others only see water if it rains

nejohn

Site Supporter
I just make sure my terminal tackle in my boxes are well stocked and everything is in good condition, then it is a case of grabbing the relevant holdall/rods and box for the venue I am going to fish and making sure I have the right bait then it is a case of setting everything up on the Bank apart from pole rigs (even then I will make up on the Bank to suit venue/conditions) I try to keep my kit close to hand and relatively tidy but I am in no way ocd about it

MOGZ

my prep for last few years has been awful - turn up, wing it and hope for the best and it normally fails miserably.
when lock down kicked in last year i decided to do a bit more prep, few more rigs and a bit of practise. results changed dramatically but is was mainly down to getting to know venues more than tackle prep tbh. I still turn up late and wing it though but had a few envelopes before it closed down again

Mikey213175

I wonder how many anglers on the forum are perfectionists in that some anglers, myself included, like everything to be perfect for when you turn up at a match.

Speaking for myself my hook length boxes are generally fully populated, my box is always well prepared and organised, winders and floats all neatly arrayed in order. My bait is all prepared the night before and organised simply to put in the car when I load my gear, with maggots riddled the night before with fresh maize and a sprinkling of garam masala. It's one of those little things I've always done and has held me in good stead.

When I get to my peg my set up is always the same, neat and consistent to maximize efficiency. Top kits are all doubled up and with pole rigs I generally have the same pattern and weigh floats set up in 3 offs of the same breaking strain often with 3 different line diameters, i.e. carp diamond, 0.4g x 3 on 0.17, on 0.19 and on 0.21 giving 9 of the same float to cater for different venues.

Then there's the little essentials what we can't do without, engineering pliers, my Moore and Wright electronic vernier gauge to measure hook length dia's and hood wire gauge diameters, all little quirks but all adding to the equation.

I know some anglers who go to the lengths where they even measure the length of the hair and add silicone to it so the hair hangs directly below, however for me this is an unnecessary step too far however I could be missing a trick but we all have our own quirks.

So what are your quirks, must haves and the little things you do, that for you, you have to do before you fish a match or venture out on the bank.
How many matches or pleasure fishing have resulted in you being better? If yes too both. Then well done. If no then well done too. You " ENJOY" what you are doing.. And that's all that matters...

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Just sorted the feeder gear for spring! A bit of bream fishing down Banbury reservoir is my next challenge, Put some braid on one of my reels , and some softer elastics in some of the hybrid stems 👍. 2BF08B15-1CC8-4702-BFA2-6479D754C020.jpeg

baggy

Mark Saunders
Just sorted the feeder gear for spring! A bit of bream fishing down Banbury reservoir is my next challenge, Put some braid on one of my reels , and some softer elastics in some of the hybrid stems 👍. 2BF08B15-1CC8-4702-BFA2-6479D754C020.jpeg
But, but, but..... it’s orange 🤐

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
How many matches or pleasure fishing have resulted in you being better? If yes too both. Then well done. If no then well done too. You " ENJOY" what you are doing.. And that's all that matters...
Mikey, I've turned up blind having never fished a number venues and won. Without the preparation, not just with tackle as information is equally important, I wouldn't have won as many matches as I have. Too many people over look preparation, what's involved and then wonder why they struggle to compete or catch.

If simply pleasure fishing it isn't essential however if you do your homework and put that little bit extra time in, particularly with information, it can make all the difference between having a good day and wondering where it all went wrong.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Chris just doesn't do feeder fishing Gaz. I must admit it's rare that I don't have a feeder rod set up regardless of venue. ;)

Total

Site Supporter
Chris just doesn't do feeder fishing Gaz. I must admit it's rare that I don't have a feeder rod set up regardless of venue.

I must admit, feeder fishing/ledgering ain't for everyone. I just like its simplicity in operation yet you can vary it so much and temper it with what your faced with without being limited by distance (provided you have the right length/type rods etc)....

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Chris just doesn't do feeder fishing Gaz. I must admit it's rare that I don't have a feeder rod set up regardless of venue. ;)
How’s this then? Finished my spring/summer pole Hooklength prep......All F1 shallow banded maggot/caster/pellet -3”,4”,6”......All carp straight & banded ,shallow & mugging 💪. All the other pole hooks are already done 👍👍. 976CBC9D-B8F6-4BA7-92AC-DCD8AFA66DF0.jpeg