Attention to detail and preparation

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Whilst accountancy is generally accepted as being a boring profession, it’s not as boring as using a leger..........
Hey! It's not boring! My first audit in 1967 was a distillery in Scotland! I don't remember anything about that week! Besides, as you know accountants do it in spreadsheets! :cool: and then there's the collective pronoun for a group of them - surplus!

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I used to prepare them, and balance sheets so when I heard about ledgering I thought "Shute", (or words to that effect) I started this to get away from work!
It was a strange time, I’m an Engineer, we spend money, we buy the best option to solve problems or create RAMS, one company I worked for decided we needed to be bean counters as well, which, as a profession, I have come to despise, buy cheap buy twice is never more true when finding a solution to a problem. Anyway, this is a digression from the fishing, time to get back on track.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
It was a strange time, I’m an Engineer, we spend money, we buy the best option to solve problems or create RAMS, one company I worked for decided we needed to be bean counters as well, which, as a profession, I have come to despise, buy cheap buy twice is never more true when finding a solution to a problem. Anyway, this is a digression from the fishing, time to get back on track.
True, but just saying though that I worked as a consultant for J Roger Preston & Partners one of the top engineering consultancies in the UK in the 90s and they didn't hate me. In fact they asked me to stay on to sort out their business systems. Gotta confess that being a bean counter never appealed to me- that's why PQ I did something very different from yer average outsider's impression of what accounting was all about. Despise them all you like I take no offence as it's a bit like hating marmite the - marmite doesn't care - other people love it and it takes all sorts

Back to topic

Total

Site Supporter
I prepare as well as I can and do all my necessary homework on the venue I'm match fishing....However, the day I don't enjoy my day will be the day I stop match fishing.....End of.....

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I get as well prepared as I can which reflects the way I approach my pleasure day out. Certainly my rods are "made ready" and my seatbox and accessories are organised so that I can get to stuff quickly. Feeder/bait bags are well prepared and some bait is dry mixed and flavoured before I leave home. I'll adjust bankside as necessary given conditions. It means I likely take too much stuff, but what the hell!

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
True, but just saying though that I worked as a consultant for J Roger Preston & Partners one of the top engineering consultancies in the UK in the 90s and they didn't hate me. In fact they asked me to stay on to sort out their business systems. Gotta confess that being a bean counter never appealed to me- that's why PQ I did something very different from yer average outsider's impression of what accounting was all about. Despise them all you like I take no offence as it's a bit like hating marmite the - marmite doesn't care - other people love it and it takes all sorts

Back to topic

One last off topic- it’s never personal to the individual, just against the nonsensical accounting systems that make for totally illogical decisions.

davylad

Site Supporter
I've never really been as organised as I should be regarding tackle, but I always make sure my bait it spot on, even when pleasure fishing.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Generally fussy about bait prep, particularly casters.

the rest of my prep is packing the right rods, reels, feeders and pole rigs for the venue I’m going to. I hate carrying loads of extra gear that I won’t need.

pole rigs, I use until they are dead.... many times if they last. Then I retie.

hooks i tie on the bank (apart from 4 or 5 for lassoed pellet).

Cobweb

Site Supporter
One last off topic- it’s never personal to the individual, just against the nonsensical accounting systems that make for totally illogical decisions.
Never come across one like that! You haven't been exposed to management accountants have you? They can be most creative or should I say inventive when the mood takes them or their Chief Executives tell them to be. Whatever, that's history - counting fish can be more rewarding - I'm out :cool:

Roger_feederer

Site Supporter
I dont even fish matches but 'If you fail to prepare, then prepare to fail.' is more than just an old saying your wise grandad would say, its a rule for life. I am ridiculously over prepared but thats because i dont have a barrow or trolley so everything has to be carried on my back and in my arms. Im not lugging 80 gram cage feeders to a small commercial and ill pour off a pint or so of pellets/GB into sealy bags rather than carry a couple of kilo bags to the bank.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I dont even fish matches but 'If you fail to prepare, then prepare to fail.' is more than just an old saying your wise grandad would say, its a rule for life. I am ridiculously over prepared but thats because i dont have a barrow or trolley so everything has to be carried on my back and in my arms. Im not lugging 80 gram cage feeders to a small commercial and ill pour off a pint or so of pellets/GB into sealy bags rather than carry a couple of kilo bags to the bank.
There's another saying which I've got into the habit of using but means the same thing - just a bit more long winded - the 7P principle

proper planning and preparation prevents p*ss poor performance

chris1967

Site Supporter
Dave I try to be the same , I’m methodical in my setting up...my rigs are always on my top kits , in top kit cases .always have my rods set up in ready cases..bait all done.. maggots have been enhanced and riddled all week..I use Burt baits maggot enhancers now , before I used to have to spray them... 8DC95B39-605A-4BB7-94F3-3D04577564A3.jpeg 03AFDC72-D7D0-482F-BCB1-E8AE04A8F58E.jpeg 8CCF1BEA-4831-4B85-A25E-4B0FA26E5548.jpeg 61E93E99-3714-4CB5-B64F-D78A291A80FC.jpeg F9E34AEA-C067-47D4-B93C-A8DAD97E27B5.jpeg
chef are you aware you have a problem lol. spot on bud your attention to detail puts me to shame literally

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Some of the tackle displayed makes mine look a little ramshackle....

535255C4-4F08-4926-82E9-CDB4D6DB7740.jpeg AE69AF93-67F9-4C81-A23A-058A022D9BCD.jpeg 1D02C573-AEF2-4176-ABF4-E8EA709F1BB3.jpeg 31C92350-F7B8-4B6E-B022-2642B6752378.jpeg 58DA3D30-C631-432E-A3AF-0A14C1CE1A51.jpeg
True. That is ramshackle. Wouldn’t have any of that near my box, let alone in it. You ought to ashamed of yourself.😉🤣🤣🤣🤣😳. I wish mine was as clean and tidy as that.

bagpuss

Site Supporter
Physiologically it makes a big difference to me knowing I've done the prep but also for what I call my big matches having all my equipment cleaned. I will get everything out in the garden wash it all down, eg knowing my pole is clean and will ship out easier etc puts me in the right frame of mind.