Attention to detail and preparation

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
I wonder how many anglers on the forum are perfectionists in that some anglers, myself included, like everything to be perfect for when you turn up at a match.

Speaking for myself my hook length boxes are generally fully populated, my box is always well prepared and organised, winders and floats all neatly arrayed in order. My bait is all prepared the night before and organised simply to put in the car when I load my gear, with maggots riddled the night before with fresh maize and a sprinkling of garam masala. It's one of those little things I've always done and has held me in good stead.

When I get to my peg my set up is always the same, neat and consistent to maximize efficiency. Top kits are all doubled up and with pole rigs I generally have the same pattern and weigh floats set up in 3 offs of the same breaking strain often with 3 different line diameters, i.e. carp diamond, 0.4g x 3 on 0.17, on 0.19 and on 0.21 giving 9 of the same float to cater for different venues.

Then there's the little essentials what we can't do without, engineering pliers, my Moore and Wright electronic vernier gauge to measure hook length dia's and hood wire gauge diameters, all little quirks but all adding to the equation.

I know some anglers who go to the lengths where they even measure the length of the hair and add silicone to it so the hair hangs directly below, however for me this is an unnecessary step too far however I could be missing a trick but we all have our own quirks.

So what are your quirks, must haves and the little things you do, that for you, you have to do before you fish a match or venture out on the bank.

Attachments

• Set up.jpg
    Set up.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 30,947
  • 20210206_112726.jpg
    20210206_112726.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 20210206_112538.jpg
    20210206_112538.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 108

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I tend not to be too organised. Someone once described my peg as looking like an explosion in a tackle shop. That probably goes back to using a basket that I turfed everything out of before setting it on the bank. If the basket sat on mud or water the contents could be kept high, clean and dry.

Things do have their place but not to the extent of everything having its own little spot or drawer compartment. I have though used magnets to keep my shot (Stotz) in place and easy to access.

FILE0048.JPG

Preparation is normally done on the morning. I will get up two hours before leaving. Expanders are prepared in gelatine in batches and frozen so just need taking out on the morning. Pellets are soaked as well and are perfect by the time the starting whistle goes. Maggots just get taken out of the fridge and are ready to go. They rarely get riddled.

And I have talked many times about the simple set of rigs I carry. Because the choice is so limited I carry plenty of spares and just need to do a re-make session every now and then.

I have never understood the need to measure line diameters. To me it is simple. I use a diameter that A) gets me bites and B) does not get broken regularly. As long as a labelled 0.13 is thicker/stronger than 0.10 and thinner/weaker than 0.17 that's all I need to know. If I am not getting bites I use a thinner diameter (and smaller hook), if I am getting broken I use a thicker one.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Dave I try to be the same , I’m methodical in my setting up...my rigs are always on my top kits , in top kit cases .always have my rods set up in ready cases..bait all done.. maggots have been enhanced and riddled all week..I use Burt baits maggot enhancers now , before I used to have to spray them... 8DC95B39-605A-4BB7-94F3-3D04577564A3.jpeg 03AFDC72-D7D0-482F-BCB1-E8AE04A8F58E.jpeg 8CCF1BEA-4831-4B85-A25E-4B0FA26E5548.jpeg 61E93E99-3714-4CB5-B64F-D78A291A80FC.jpeg F9E34AEA-C067-47D4-B93C-A8DAD97E27B5.jpeg

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
My kit bag is mostly in a mess. It only gets sorted through before a road trip for example to Scotland or Wales for a weeks fishing. My work ethics are very different though. Clean, tidy and strive for perfection at all times. I guess when I'm fishing I'm a different person. :rolleyes:

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
My main preparation is to put onto the top kits the rigs I think I will need before I leave the house. That way I don't have to waste time making decisions on the bank. I tend to take a long time to get to my peg and erect everything - seat back, side tray - and my bad back slows me down. Apart from that, everything is always in the same place in my box. It's the bait which takes me the most time, and I keep a box in my van with spare everything in case I forget something or run out.

davepellet

OCD is probably a better description for me

Prep before session, if something isn't right I can't sleep...

Setting up I have a particular way of setting kit out & even when I'm actually fishing, if I swap top kits, the kit going on the roost will be lined up with all other kits on the roost... (so the tips all extend to exactly the same length beyond the roost!) - all kits are cut to precisely the same length with the same black PTFE bushes fitted, and even the cupping kit is millimeter precise, so all the tips of my kits line up bang centre of the cup, when fitted (and I always use the same size cup no matter how much I'm feeding)

my winder trays, drawers, hooklength boxes, every thing, look like they've never been used

the only thing that bucks the trend is my carryall, once I'm on the bank & set up, anything I don't need out goes back in there, usually in any old way that'll fit...

once I get home, anything used is lifted out to clean or rebuild (pole rigs/hooklengths), all used nets immediately hosed down thoroughly and staked out to dry (if weather permits), if not I hang them in the garage over thick cardboard to soak up the water...

my tackle shed, the same... no spiders or woodlice allowed... everything has a place & everything must be in its place.... I'd have a breakdown if next doors tree crashed thru he roof in the night!!!

*** forgot... my roving river kit bag... all bets are off with this, a mess at the best of times, worse when I'm on the bank! But that said, I still know exactly what's in it & where it is...

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’d love to say prep is a great benefit, obviously having a few rigs tied and enough hooks tied goes without saying, but I have in the past spent hours getting everything prepped to the nth degree and then miserably fail in a match. The next time out, I have chucked the gear in the van, untouched from the last weekend, arrived somewhat hungover, made the best of what I had and won or framed. I just try to have a happy medium now, some of the best anglers I see fish carry very little in the way of made up rigs, at least one I know just ties them on the bank. They rarely have more than two or three topkits set up and get some great results.

That said, I have now retied any rig in my box that has been used, am sorting out my hook boxes and ensuring they are full, I always keep a good stock of meat, corn, GB and pellets in the garage, so that’s about it. I’ll have all new elastics next time out - although I’d not long changed most of my Daiwa topkits elastic. Elastic and reel lines are an ongoing process and get changed as soon as I think necessary.

So, IMO, a certain level of prep and organisation is crucial to competing effectively, over prepping can over complicate things, if you fish mainly the same venues for the same species, it’s usually pretty straight forward.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
My main preparation is to put onto the top kits the rigs I think I will need before I leave the house. That way I don't have to waste time making decisions on the bank. I tend to take a long time to get to my peg and erect everything - seat back, side tray - and my bad back slows me down. Apart from that, everything is always in the same place in my box. It's the bait which takes me the most time, and I keep a box in my van with spare everything in case I forget something or run out.

Interesting, I’d never know what rig I wanted on a topkit until I saw the peg I’d drawn.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Got to be prepped, essential if wanting to do the best you can i reckon. One of the aspects you have control over, if combined with homework, to ensure the prep is the right prep. Can't handle not doing the best i can if what prevented it was something i have control over.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Interesting, I’d never know what rig I wanted on a topkit until I saw the peg I’d drawn.
When I’m fishing tunnel 2-3 times a week all the rigs stay on the top kits, shallow, edge and deck , they’ll work for any peg there !! As long as I know the lakes/ pools I’m fishing on other venues I’ll always set up enough top kits to be covered 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
When I’m fishing tunnel 2-3 times a week all the rigs stay on the top kits, shallow, edge and deck , they’ll work for any peg there !! As long as I know the lakes/ pools I’m fishing on other venues I’ll always set up enough top kits to be covered 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
I’m talking about proper fishing, not pellet licker fishing........ 😛

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Dave I try to be the same , I’m methodical in my setting up...my rigs are always on my top kits , in top kit cases .always have my rods set up in ready cases..bait all done.. maggots have been enhanced and riddled all week..I use Burt baits maggot enhancers now , before I used to have to spray them... 8DC95B39-605A-4BB7-94F3-3D04577564A3.jpeg 03AFDC72-D7D0-482F-BCB1-E8AE04A8F58E.jpeg 8CCF1BEA-4831-4B85-A25E-4B0FA26E5548.jpeg 61E93E99-3714-4CB5-B64F-D78A291A80FC.jpeg F9E34AEA-C067-47D4-B93C-A8DAD97E27B5.jpeg

How do you get onto your box without jumping over those top kits?
Even more important, how do you get off your box for a pee?
Or is that why you have that pole section behind you?
:unsure: :oops: