AT-VDE Clubman Competition 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Anyone belong to a club entering this year?
We are putting in a team for the third year running.
As i have just been elected as the clubs new Match Sec,i've had the whole lot dumped on me.The first round has to be organised and fished by the middle of Feb and as the "Home" club it was down to us to organise the venue,but the other two clubs have to be in aggreement with regard to date and size of teams etc.
Trying to book a venue at short notice in this part of the world can be a real nightmare,as most decent venues are booked up at least a season in advance.I have been very fortunate in that the owner of our first choice venue has actualy cancelled a small open that he was going to hold,to help us out date wise.
I can't help wondering why the Angling Times insists in starting the competition so early,after all there are only two preliminary rounds to be fished before the Semi's and Final.An awful lot of the first round matches are going to be fished on venues that are well below their best,and at a time of year when it can be hard to get the average clubman away from a nice warm front room.
That said,i've been fortunate that the lads that have been picked are as keen as mustard,five of them went to practice last Sunday and after breaking 2inches of ice all caught fish.Six of us are going down to fish an open on the venue this Sunday to get more practice in a match situation.
The actual clubman match takes place on the 10th April,and i'll keep you all informed,about our progress in the competition (if any)
Peter. jumpfish_e0.gif

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Peyer
Not into the match situation. Mind you in Swansea the only team that would win a match would be the cormorants.
But I would be interested to hear how you get on. What is your team called?

I won't see any results cos I don't buy the Angling press. Rather spend the money on beer and I find that the papers are far too specimen fish orientated anyway..
(No that is not a go at specimen anglers in case I am accused of being neanderthal again).

Geoff
If it swims, catch it.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Geoff,
The team is Hawthorne AC.If you go into my profile you will see a link at the bottom right,which will take you to a little site that i'm trying to build about the club(very much work in progress)Not up to Dave & Stu's high standard i'm afraid!
I will post the result and a short report in the match results part of the Forum .
Peter.
jumpfish_2_e0.gif

Edited by - peter on 10 January 2002 8:21:23 PM

MALC

Sadly as from November last year the club i used to fish with is nolonger so i wont be entering it this year which is a pity as in the past couple of years since it was started i made some good and usefull contacts as it was myself that organised it for the club.
So i'm now serching for a new club to join that has good regular matches.
As you say though Peter the only gripe i ever had with it was the timing.

MALC

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Rough Malc, sorry it folded.
What location are you and where are you looking to join a club?
Cheers
Trev

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Peter,
we are entering it for the first time this year and have both the local match groups to contend with on our match,they have selected the mk canal on a real stratching section.Now when you consider all the water available around mk it seems strange for them to arrange it for feb 10 on a canal with no fish in.do not expect to make round 2 but you never know though.

MALC

Trev i live in Rugby Warwickshire and idealy i'm looking for a club based any where that has regular matches and good attendances within about an hours drive of Rugby.
The hour drive is about the limit as i work most Fri/Sat & Sunday nights and dont finish till 6am any further and it's to much of a rush to get to the matches.

Malc

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Keith,
Good luck with the match,although it sounds like you could be on a bit of a hiding,looks as if it could be
a real scratching match.
Which leads me to wondering if the Angling Times check some of these teams to see if they meet the
Clubman criterea as closly as they should.
Keith you say you are fishing against two local"match groups",are they sponsored?If they are,then in my
opinion they should not be allowed to enter,as i don't feel that it is in the spirit of the competition.
There are enough matches and leagues already for the match groups and open anglers,and if
Angling Times want to promote it as a CLUBMAN competition they should take steps to ensure that it
is exactly that.As far as i'm concerned if a team is sponsored then it can't be classed as a "club" team.
Right having got that off my chest i shall sit back and await the flack!
Peter.
fishb_e0.gif

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Malc,
It may be a touch too far, but one of the BEST clubs I know is at Oundle, through Northampton from you and then 1/2 hour.
Check out Jeff Bridges site on www,rodbenders.co.uk.
May be of interest.
I'm desperate in the spring/summer to try Draycott, so perhaps you can give me some tips for there?
Best o luck
Trev

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
peter,
they are NOT sponsored teams we will be fishing against.I tend to agree with your sentiments though.they in my opinion have a larger membership than a small works team like ours and thus can choose there anglers for particular venues.We on the other hand have to be able to fish all types of waters.our total membership is only 20 and at anyone time 2 shifts are working thus only leaving on a good day 8-10 anglers to fish matches.I hope the spirit of the clubman matches are there and friendly banter can occur.the last thing we want is a win at all cost attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.