At 12:30 what is he doing, After fighting a fish dumping line.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not sure tbh. Is common practice to take the bale arm off when a fish is snagged but don’t recall seeing someone do it whilst it’s still running. Suppose the lack of resistance might make it think it’s got away but seems a bit pointless as it obviously runs again afterwards. Could be missing something though.

Philocalist

Maybe he's concerned about being spooled, i.e. the fish emptying the spool. It's a technique sometimes used with big, hard-running fish ... take away any resistance to the fish, i.e. freeline, and the fish stops running any further / loses momentum.
Alternatively, he could be just playing silly-buggers for the camera :)

nejohn

Site Supporter
As he is obviously using the clutch it could be a way of not putting any twist in the line when the fish runs.....or am I over thinking it a bit

Cobweb

Site Supporter
At a guess I'd say that he is releasing the bale arm and fingering the line quickly just to gauge the fighting/fatigue level of level of the fish. He's not putting that light looking rod under any heavy pressure, but as he's demoing the reel why should he? That's an expensive reel, which is being put through it's paces. How expensive I guess depends on the model

Always wanted to go and work in Japan and have a boat going in and out with the tide. Don't fancy arm ache that much though through using that technique constantly

lp1886

Site Supporter
Craig, what made you watch 12:30 mins of that in the first place? ?

rudd

Site Supporter
Its possible he is taking line out of line clip.
The jig/lure didnt look more than 20 gram to me so only a light/ medium rod taking 15lb braid or there abouts.
If jigging in deep water and using finder/sounder to find a depth of fish or to prevent running out of braid as lure goes down - line clip used.
Think it was a Tuna which run hard and fast that took lure on the drop - hence fast wind to hit the take.
Once hooked it took line fast, he stopoed the run, lifted rod (to give a buffer) whilst quickly flipping open bail arm, changing something and re-engaging bail arm quickly, fish makes another big run straight after.

TonyA

Site Supporter
I can't see what your seeing, I thought he took the bale arm off to let the tide pull out more line. He seems to be working the line down tide.

rudd

Site Supporter
I can't see what your seeing, I thought he took the bale arm off to let the tide pull out more line. He seems to be working the line down tide.
He is playing a fish 12:40 when he does something by opening bale arm, its just after the fish has made a long run.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
He is playing a fish 12:40 when he does something by opening bale arm, its just after the fish has made a long run.
What I saw was him quickly re-engaging the clutch which led me to believe that he was testing the fish's fighting ability, before trying to reel him in. I think tide is only relevant when you are gauging where and how to fish, but from what I can see this guy is in a prime position in a bay. What I don't have is the knowledge of the strength of his line though it's a good bet that it is braid. Ancillary I know, but some conventions dictate that you use fluorocarbon as either a shock leader on this type of rod, or as the whole shebang to get that marginally important extra flex in the line as a shock absorber when using light spinning rods

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Is interesting how different countries use different ways of rating their rods, not all that easy to compare across continents.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
He is demonstrating the Shimano vanquish reel and grappler lj 30-140g rod.

Wow! I knew about the reels but that rod range is comprehensive and powerful by our standards. Our waters and fish are different and the rods on sale here are made to measure for our European conditions

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
In case anyone is wondering it's a Japanese Amberjack (Seriola QuinQueradiata).

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The Atlantic amberjacks are known as reef donkeys in the US on account of their power. Never caught one myself but have had plenty of their reasonably close relatives jack crevalle and they pull like nothing else I've ever caught so it's not surprising to see it giving him a proper scrap.