Asking you match guys a question?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Just watching a match ace fishing for silvers and he was using a large 5000 reel. He said it was because it had a slow isolation that just worked well with silver fish? Does anyone else use an over-large size reel out of interest? He did have it loaded with 3lb Maxima laine?

IanG1

Site Supporter
Presume you mean oscillation not isolation? Must be referring to the better line lay on a bigger reel which makes fishing the stick or waggler better as the line peels off more controllably.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I've not used bigger, but I often use 4000 sized reels with oversized spools for float fishing when most people advise no more than 2500 size. However, if I do go big, it'll invariably be with a reel made from one of the lightweight materials and often on a rod 15' or longer. If I were using rods of 12' or less, I doubt I'd bother with a bigger reel.

A large diameter spool in conjunction with good line lay can make casting and trotting a whole lot easier.

R0B

I've not used bigger, but I often use 4000 sized reels with oversized spools for float fishing when most people advise no more than 2500 size. However, if I do go big, it'll invariably be with a reel made from one of the lightweight materials and often on a rod 15' or longer. If I were using rods of 12' or less, I doubt I'd bother with a bigger reel.

A large diameter spool in conjunction with good line lay can make casting and trotting a whole lot easier.
Sam, have you experienced any improvements in the ease of line management in the wind with larger spools? I am very tempted to go oversize soon

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Sam, have you experienced any improvements in the ease of line management in the wind with larger spools? I am very tempted to go oversize soon
With regards to wind? Not so cut and dried. However, a bigger spool does tend to result in bigger coils/less memory from the same type/breaking strain of line. Much will depend on the line used and whether your own technique tends to lead to line going behind a spool. I've had no problems with reels that some report to be terrible. My suspicion is that my habit of closing bail arms manually, and the exact way I do it, limits the chances of line getting behind a spool, regardless of the reel being used.

Last edited:

R0B

With regards to wind? Not so cut and dried. However, a bigger spool does tend to result in bigger coils/less memory from the same type/breaking strain of line. Much will depend on the line used and whether your own technique tends to lead to line going behind a spool. I've had no problems with reels that some report to be terrible.
I have had issues with one reel, a 2500 size Daiwa, but nothing to speak of with anything else over the years, even the Mitchells everyone seems to hate :LOL:. It always seems to be windy these days so i am considering options

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
I use Daiwa TDM 3012's and Cadence CS10 4000's which is actually smaller in spool side than the Daiwa's. I wouldn't call them over size as they are perfect and balance the rods well. I much prefer the spool size and winding power to that of the old 2500 size reels which now look to be too small.

Note the above reels balance perfect with pellet waggler rods, 10-12ft feeder rods and 12-16ft float rods so for me they are perfect regardless of whether I'm catching roach on the stick or carp on the feeder.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Yes, on my 9/10ft feeder rods, I use 4000;5000 reels, I don’t own any 3000 reels, the bigger reels, have more winding power, larger spools, smoother, and, usually better line lay. Bearing in mind, I cast more than most people, I cast every 50/60 seconds, I need a smooth, powerful reel

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Just watching a match ace fishing for silvers and he was using a large 5000 reel. He said it was because it had a slow isolation that just worked well with silver fish? Does anyone else use an over-large size reel out of interest? He did have it loaded with 3lb Maxima laine?
No , 3000 ,4000 reels ,usually 3000 for float .

Rick123

Site Supporter
Presume you mean oscillation not isolation? Must be referring to the better line lay on a bigger reel which makes fishing the stick or waggler better as the line peels off more controllably.
This was on the feeder buddy.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Yes, on my 9/10ft feeder rods, I use 4000;5000 reels, I don’t own any 3000 reels, the bigger reels, have more winding power, larger spools, smoother, and, usually better line lay. Bearing in mind, I cast more than most people, I cast every 50/60 seconds, I need a smooth, powerful reel
Some people just have no patience at all? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Rick123

Site Supporter
Casting every 50 to 60 seconds is fairly typical when fishing for roach in the cooler months with a groundbait feeder of some description...(y)
What about of the fish are not feeding to that patten of casting, what then?

Total

Site Supporter
Then I'll extend the time between casts to 90 seconds....Feeder fishing for roach rewards those who are kept busy.....If After an hour I've made no progress I need to change my tactics.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
I change my groundbait consistency,, change my feeder umpteen times, I get them competing, it’s hard to explain what I do, I just know how and when to.

Total

Site Supporter
I change my groundbait consistency,, change my feeder umpteen times, I get them competing, it’s hard to explain what I do, I just know how and when to.
^^:)......Explore around the swim, change length of hook length, even start a new swim/or at a different range if I have to etc etc etc;):love:

baggy

Mark Saunders
3000/4000 for float fishing and feeder work up to 40m, 5000+ for feeder fishing over 40m