ASD (autism)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightowluk

hi, my son has recently been diagnosed with this, he's 3 and a half.
it didn't come as too much of a shock to us but still, we're a little bit shaken. there's plenty of info on the net but, we don't really know what to expect in the future? he's a very happy little chappy! he just doesn't talk much and struggles to communicate with others and he likes his life to be very routine.
are there any other site members who are/or know anyone who suffers from this condition? the local authorities round here are useless and we've had zero support.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I wouldn't claim to be an expert, but as a secondary school teacher, I've seen my fair share of my pupils over the years with a diagnosis of ASD. If there's anything that I may be able to help with, drop me a PM.

James

Nightowluk

my only concern is james, can he go on to lead a normal life into adulthood? and i don't mean that in a selfish way! i just want whats best for him.

stymie

My son was diagnosed with something similar at three years old, SPD (semantic pragmatic disorder). He is almost 14 now and although I wouldn't say it has been easy we were assured there was no real reason why he shouldn't grow up and have a happy life, there is plenty of help out there for someone in your position, we joined the Autistic society from an early stage and took it from there. By the way he is on his first residential at Humphrey Head near Morecombe, away from home for the first time and from what I can gather having the time of his life.

methodgob

yoda
He'll love it Stymie! We regularly bump into their lot(Humphrey head) on Coniston while they're ghyll scrambling and paddling rafts around.
My mates youngest has just been diagnosed with this,which is just another thing to add to their over complicated life.
Dad has ocd, mum has some weird form of epilepsy,grandad has alzheimers.

badpegpicker

Proud to be a.....
A chap I worked with at my last place had his son diagnosed with some form of Autism (sorry, cant remember the exact name), but it wasnt a complete shock, as his dad, his brother and him (very very slightly) all have traits.

In all honesty, although it took them a while to get the authorities to take notice, it seems that there is plenty of help out there should you need it, and also there are benefits specifically for these sorts of "conditions" that help a long way towards any special treatment and schooling the children should need along the way[:T]

I dont think theres any reason your lad shouldnt be abe to lead a normal life mate.
One of my mates has a form of Autism, be it slight, and he lives a perfectly normal life. Owns a house, car etc etc, went through school no problems, has a job.......
And hes nearly 40, so when he was growing up, this sort of thing was practically undiagnosed[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.