Arthritis or

Tinca606

Ive been prescribed Allopurinol, i feel a lot lot better ,seems i have gout in my bones ,or at least the tablets are working ,i cant believe it . I still have a mri scan to attend when it gets booked in .

Good stuff, hopefully this new medication will give you a new lease of life.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Same as my old fishing partner. No more liver and bacon for him sadly. More for me though:cool:

R0B

Fellow gout sufferer here. As soon as I saw your OP I knew what it would be.
On Allopurinol for life now. It's just genetic - nothing to do with diet. I was an athlete training 4-6 times a week, didn't drink alcohol and rarely had much refined sugar or junk food before my first attack at 43. A couple of nasty bouts in the big toe, then I though i had it controlled with diet - though I don't train any more and drink the odd glass of wine or cider, then after 5 years of nothing much: a couple of weeks ago I had an attack which locked both ankles and feet everywhere (except for the big toe) locked and swollen and painful. Feet up for a week and several days just able to hobble. It's funny how you can go from being able to disabled overnight.
It's a bugger!

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
More blood tests booked for today and yipee will be having an mri scan soon. Hopefully i will find out what is giving me do much grief
Never did get an mri scan ,i had an exray saturday ,i am waiting for the result if my doctor calls me . If not i will call him . The allopurinol worked for a good while but my tendons in elbows and my shoulder pain is still there but not as bad ,my big toes really hurt if im on my knees and so do my knees lol. I give up . It seems my tendons are knackered everywhere including wrists . I can cope and still work so maybe il just have to put up with it

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Never did get an mri scan ,i had an exray saturday ,i am waiting for the result if my doctor calls me . If not i will call him . The allopurinol worked for a good while but my tendons in elbows and my shoulder pain is still there but not as bad ,my big toes really hurt if im on my knees and so do my knees lol. I give up . It seems my tendons are knackered everywhere including wrists . I can cope and still work so maybe il just have to put up with it
Sh*t (or words to that effect) No MRI scan is a bummer. X rays picked up arthritis in my neck and knee (old football injuries). I was on Ibuprofen (an anti inflammatory drug) but had to come off it due to the risk of additional heart problems/strokes. It feels sometimes as though my neck is on fire and my knee, so I get the wife to stick her hands in the fridge for a bit now and again, then as a pleasant surprise she sticks them on a sensitive spot. MAjor case of shrinky winky sometimes (not by accident the moo)

I think you have the right of it (temporary I guess due to covid issues being the priority), that in the meantime we shall just have to persevere (Knew him brother of Guinevere) But help is around- just a long time coming at the mo. Good luck, keep plugging away

As it's been a slow week for fishing, I seem to have given myself a dose of shingles last week which also b*ggers up any appointments for blood tests, consultations, diabetes checks etc as there might be pregnant people about who haven't had chicken pox yet.

Ah well Tally Ho and all that:cool::cool:

davylad

Site Supporter
I'm not a doctor Rob, but I thought it might be gout. It's a form of arthritis I believe anyway, I have been taking the small dose tablets for years now, lifestyle does make a difference. If you can find out what helps YOU, you can adjust to suit. I've been getting twinges just lately, but that's because of Christmas with all the extras I've been eating. One thing for sure, it can be agony without the preventative treatment.

robert d

Site Supporter
I'm not a doctor Rob, but I thought it might be gout. It's a form of arthritis I believe anyway, I have been taking the small dose tablets for years now, lifestyle does make a difference. If you can find out what helps YOU, you can adjust to suit. I've been getting twinges just lately, but that's because of Christmas with all the extras I've been eating. One thing for sure, it can be agony without the preventative treatment.
Cheers for that , still painful in elbows and shoulder ,seems ive got used to allopurinol , tried everything ,diet,no alcohol, waiting on result from xray still .

davylad

Site Supporter
You can Gout anywhere Rob, it's more common in the big toe as that's the furthest point in the blood system that goes round your body, leaving the crystals there. I got it in my knee once, and I've never experienced pain like it, and that includes broken bones. I also tried to knock the Allopurinol on the head, as I didn't like the idea of taking tablets for the rest of my life, BAD mistake. I got an attack within days, so I went straight back on them.

robert d

Site Supporter
You can Gout anywhere Rob, it's more common in the big toe as that's the furthest point in the blood system that goes round your body, leaving the crystals there. I got it in my knee once, and I've never experienced pain like it, and that includes broken bones. I also tried to knock the Allopurinol on the head, as I didn't like the idea of taking tablets for the rest of my life, BAD mistake. I got an attack within days, so I went straight back on them.
Yes have it in big toe ,knees ,elbows, and shoulder . Some days not to bad but others days bad lol

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Gout, make sure you drink at least 2 litres of water/diluted fruit juice every day. My doctor advised me of that after my last attack (in my right knee). A three day course of colchicine cleared that up but no issues since I upped fluid intake.

robert d

Site Supporter
Gout, make sure you drink at least 2 litres of water/diluted fruit juice every day. My doctor advised me of that after my last attack (in my right knee). A three day course of colchicine cleared that up but no issues since I upped fluid intake.
Cheers Geoff ,i do need to up my fluids

baz1

I really feel for you guys. I have had PSORIATIC ARTHRITUS, FOR CLOSE ON FIFTY YEARS.. This type follows on from Psoriasis, the skin problem. Unfortunately, it affects all tendons, muscles but not joints, so operations are a no no. Over this time, I have suffered lots of needles. and endless painkillers.

robert d

Site Supporter
I really feel for you guys. I have had PSORIATIC ARTHRITUS, FOR CLOSE ON FIFTY YEARS.. This type follows on from Psoriasis, the skin problem. Unfortunately, it affects all tendons, muscles but not joints, so operations are a no no. Over this time, I have suffered lots of needles. and endless painkillers.
Not had psoriasis but tendons in shoulder ,elbows, wrists and sometimes feet are extortionate painful , had an xray months ago ,asked doctor about result and he has no idea ,no report back from hospital , ive left it because of the covid ,they have enough on their hands

baz1

Sorry, I did not complete my comments. Talking, of taking 16 painkillers ( tramadol and paracetamol) a day, plus gabapentin and dihydrocodeine as required, when pain is really bad. X-rays only show damage and deterioration of joints, but not inflammation. Obviously different people experience different levels of pain, and what medicine suits one is of no use to another. I would suggest if you find whatever gives you relief stick to it. As well as arthritis, for the last 20 odd years I have also been smitten with Parkinson,s, so other types of pain, are now enjoyed!!!. But, and its a big but. No matter, how we feel sorry for ourselves, there is always some poor soul worse off. So to all of you suffering with arthritis and the associated pain, you have my sincere sympathy, just continue exploring what pain killers are around and try to find one to give you some relief. I must add, if you can continue fishing, do it, takes the pain away sometimes, if your catching the adrenalin over comes the pain.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Yup, mind over matter can work sometimes, but I know through my own experiences that Tramadol comes with it's own discipline and has to be signed off by a GP or better before the pharmacist can even think about dispensing it. I opted out of regular pain killers for my arthritis, and only take them in "extremis". At 17 pills a day, I think I take enough - and there's the added complication of constipation brought on by the effect of meds

robert d

Site Supporter
Sorry, I did not complete my comments. Talking, of taking 16 painkillers ( tramadol and paracetamol) a day, plus gabapentin and dihydrocodeine as required, when pain is really bad. X-rays only show damage and deterioration of joints, but not inflammation. Obviously different people experience different levels of pain, and what medicine suits one is of no use to another. I would suggest if you find whatever gives you relief stick to it. As well as arthritis, for the last 20 odd years I have also been smitten with Parkinson,s, so other types of pain, are now enjoyed!!!. But, and its a big but. No matter, how we feel sorry for ourselves, there is always some poor soul worse off. So to all of you suffering with arthritis and the associated pain, you have my sincere sympathy, just continue exploring what pain killers are around and try to find one to give you some relief. I must add, if you can continue fishing, do it, takes the pain away sometimes, if your catching the adrenalin over comes the pain.
My wife goes mad at me ,i refuse pain killers ,had loads in the past though including tramadol . I may take a sneaky few before and during my matches though , im not mr tuff but i became reliant on pain killers and took me ages to get off them , i still get bad pain but not all the time , i put up with it .

davylad

Site Supporter
I'm on repeat Naproxin too, but I only take it when I absolutely have to, I also take the Lanzoprazole with it, and never had any issues at all touch wood.