Arthritis or

Silure

Site Supporter
I had Blood tests that came back saying Arthritis, to be honest mate i think Pain relief tablets are whats on offer, im gonna see a mate about some Canabis oil will let ya know (y)
I have Arthritis and being treated with Methotrexate and Baricinib. Both work well and have no pain.

Tinca606

Robert. I bang on about Yoga. Last year I had cancer and a bone scan to see if it was in my bones. The Doctor was amazed at the amount of arthritis in my bones, everywhere. I don't take pain killers as they upset my guts. I got into Yoga 20 years ago, and it helps a lot. You won't be pain free, but much much better doing it. Most people cannot be bothered to be honest, 15 minutes a day, they would rather take a pill. But buy a dvd or look on You-Tube lots of Arthritis exercises to copy? Hope it helps, I also were knee braces when fishing buddy?

Hi Guys,

I have a couple of auto immune illnesses including rheumatoid arthritis. It gets me in my knees, hands and wrists. I have had full body flare ups which start off between the shoulder blades and spread around the body. In these situations I end up in hospital to manage the pain. I am on immunosuppressant drugs to manage it.

A few of you guys are on ibrofin, it may provide good pain relief but it is very hard on the stomach. Long term use can lead to ulcers.

I was diagnosed mid twenties, still shuffling on in mid forties. The damp weather affects me, cold is fine.

Just my tuppence worth.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
This is me for the last few months, certainly no fishing. I have been told everything from cancer through arthritis and a slipped disc to tendonitis. CBD and similar is fine, I didn't bother, but get checked out properly. An x-ray ruled out arthritis for me, waiting on an MRI currently but my physio now thinks patellar tendonitis and some thigh muscle / disc damage. An MRI may or may not pick that out. Physio works if they know what to treat, mine now seems to be improving, my knee had stayed painful despite a super high dose of gabapentin although that has at least sorted back pain for the moment (and it only takes a few drinks now to see me off😉).

I would say that anyone who says no to painkillers needs their head looked at as well as the rest. Quality of life is massively improved, just don't mistake less pain for healed as you can aggravate damage - you'll know when you're sorted. This is a common issue with cortisone injections which are now viewed as common causes of repeat or chronic damage.
I dont take pain killers now because to be honest im a little afraid of them ,i had a stroke after taking 2 ibuprofen for a bad head ,maybe a coincidence but im very weary .

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I have arthritis, cannot take ibuprofem due to other medication I am on (Warfarin and several others). Dislike pain killers anyway as I feel if the pain is no longer felt you may do something to further damage the joints. I really suffer when fishing so have sadly decided to stop and am in the midst of sorting out and selling my gear.

Tinca606

I have arthritis, cannot take ibuprofem due to other medication I am on (Warfarin and several others). Dislike pain killers anyway as I feel if the pain is no longer felt you may do something to further damage the joints. I really suffer when fishing so have sadly decided to stop and am in the midst of sorting out and selling my gear.
Hi Geoff,

Have you spoke to your rheumatologist about immunosuppressant drugs?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aztecca

Site Supporter
I've got rheumatoid arthritis had it 6 years im 41 now.Pain comes and goes with the flare ups.There have been times when i haven't been able to physically get out of bed,sometimes the fatigue is worse than the pain.I get it in most joints shoulders ,wrists,hands,knees,feet.
I'm on 20mg injection of methotrexate a week and hydroxychloroquine pills everyday.Still work full time as a metal polisher which can be a struggle at times if I'm honest.I just try to get on with it though.

DaveGas

I've got rheumatoid arthritis had it 6 years im 41 now.Pain comes and goes with the flare ups.There have been times when i haven't been able to physically get out of bed,sometimes the fatigue is worse than the pain.I get it in most joints shoulders ,wrists,hands,knees,feet.
I'm on 20mg injection of methotrexate a week and hydroxychloroquine pills everyday.Still work full time as a metal polisher which can be a struggle at times if I'm honest.I just try to get on with it though.
Hi Aztecca, ask your Rheumatoid consultant about going onto TNF injections, its a battle due to the costs involved but the benefits are very good, I have been on Humira for a few years now and its helped me immensely and helped with the fatigue and flare ups but unfortunately I'm never pain free even with the concoction of the other disease modifying drugs I take as well, good luck.

Aztecca

Site Supporter
Hi Aztecca, ask your Rheumatoid consultant about going onto TNF injections, its a battle due to the costs involved but the benefits are very good, I have been on Humira for a few years now and its helped me immensely and helped with the fatigue and flare ups but unfortunately I'm never pain free even with the concoction of the other disease modifying drugs I take as well, good luck.
Thanks ill look into that.Got to have a consultation with the R A nurse in a few weeks.

Tinca606

Thanks ill look into that.Got to have a consultation with the R A nurse in a few weeks.

There are options out there, metatrexate, humeira, Stelara, imuran, remicade. These are drugs that suppress the immune system. It's the immune system that is looking at your joints as a foreign body and it basically seeks to destroy the joints, etc.

Aztecca

Site Supporter
Yeah im on methotrexate I have to inject it once every week.It gives me terrible nausea though.I was on it in tablet form but the nausea was even worse with that.I take hydroxychloroquine tablets every day too.

Tinca606

Yeah im on methotrexate I have to inject it once every week.It gives me terrible nausea though.I was on it in tablet form but the nausea was even worse with that.I take hydroxychloroquine tablets every day too.
Maybe something like Zoton would help with the nausea? I was metatrexate too once apon a time.

DaveGas

I had the same problem with Methotrexate and after trying a few different meds I have been on Leflunomide 15mg for quite a few years with no issues, maybe another one to mention lol, I have to say that unfortunately the first few years was the worse for me so hope things settle for you soon, its an awful disease that has seen me have both knees replaced and surgery on left shoulder (twice) and ruptured Achilles tendon repair, cant believe that 11 years ago I was so fit and strong and in the gym 4 or 5 times a week!

Silure

Site Supporter
I take 1 and 1/2 tablets of Methotrexate a week along with a new drug Baricitinib one a day and 2 folic acid two days after the Methotrexate . Thankfully no side effects but have a blood test every month and see consultant every 3 months. All ok no pain apart from a stiffness in hands in morning. Very nice seeing the consultant as she is very attractive but have a little problem with the language but getting there!

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Much like my Dad did with the same condition except he didn't have the use of his knees following an op in 1954 when he was 25. Dad couldn't drive, but he did get an invalid carriage in 1965. I'm lucky in that I only have osteoarthritis and that is not so widespread.

robert d

Site Supporter
Much like my Dad did with the same condition except he didn't have the use of his knees following an op in 1954 when he was 25. Dad couldn't drive, but he did get an invalid carriage in 1965. I'm lucky in that I only have osteoarthritis and that is not so widespread.
More blood tests booked for today and yipee will be having an mri scan soon. Hopefully i will find out what is giving me do much grief

Cobweb

Site Supporter
More blood tests booked for today and yipee will be having an mri scan soon. Hopefully i will find out what is giving me do much grief
That's what I like a positive outlook! Not heard many going "Yippee" at the prospect of an MRI - Great stuff!! (mine lasted 35 minutes last year- fast tempo) Good luck and better results!

robert d

Site Supporter
That's what I like a positive outlook! Not heard many going "Yippee" at the prospect of an MRI - Great stuff!! (mine lasted 35 minutes last year- fast tempo) Good luck and better results!
Im just very happy to get a scan and hopefully find out what my problem is and get it treated 😁

robert d

Site Supporter
Im just very happy to get a scan and hopefully find out what my problem is and get it treated 😁
Ive been prescribed Allopurinol, i feel a lot lot better ,seems i have gout in my bones ,or at least the tablets are working ,i cant believe it . I still have a mri scan to attend when it gets booked in .