Arthritis or

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
This is me for the last few months, certainly no fishing. I have been told everything from cancer through arthritis and a slipped disc to tendonitis. CBD and similar is fine, I didn't bother, but get checked out properly. An x-ray ruled out arthritis for me, waiting on an MRI currently but my physio now thinks patellar tendonitis and some thigh muscle / disc damage. An MRI may or may not pick that out. Physio works if they know what to treat, mine now seems to be improving, my knee had stayed painful despite a super high dose of gabapentin although that has at least sorted back pain for the moment (and it only takes a few drinks now to see me off😉).

I would say that anyone who says no to painkillers needs their head looked at as well as the rest. Quality of life is massively improved, just don't mistake less pain for healed as you can aggravate damage - you'll know when you're sorted. This is a common issue with cortisone injections which are now viewed as common causes of repeat or chronic damage.
It's not I dont want pain killers its I dont want pain killers and sent away .I want to be diagnosed with what I have then if I need pain killers because there is no treatment then I will take them when needed .Your story is very interesting as I did self defence classes many years ago and was thrown and twisted in every joint .Maybe a link there .I wish you well and hope you recover.. I think a lot of my problems are tendonitis but my bones and muscles hurt too especially yesterday and today ..just ordered an exercise bike as suggested in another post to strengthen knees and was thinking maybe swimming might help

Louis D

Site Supporter
Talking with the physio, she didn't see it as being the cause. We never went in for macho BS, when a lock is on you tap out. You learn how to fall properly before before you ever get thrown and you get properly warmed up for a full on session. I went for 12 years, my only injury was to my hand, someone shifted their weight and I lost grip trapping my hand. Painful for a few days but no big deal. Obviously I got full power hit more than once but I don't count bruises. There is a reason that tai chi is popular in China, you need to use those joints and keep them effective.

robert d

Site Supporter
Talking with the physio, she didn't see it as being the cause. We never went in for macho BS, when a lock is on you tap out. You learn how to fall properly before before you ever get thrown and you get properly warmed up for a full on session. I went for 12 years, my only injury was to my hand, someone shifted their weight and I lost grip trapping my hand. Painful for a few days but no big deal. Obviously I got full power hit more than once but I don't count bruises. There is a reason that tai chi is popular in China, you need to use those joints and keep them effective.
I agree regular gentle exercises must help and ofcourse eating the right food and keeping hydrated. That's my plan anyway il try very hard to keep to it

fishcatcher4

Site Supporter
My wife started with just a pain in between her shoulders was given steroid injection and steroid tablets and improved almost immediately for a while but the pain soon spread.

She had various x rays and scans including a pet scan and was told it was fibromialgia by a very poor rhumatologist who thank god left the hospital soon after.

Over the next 2 years she had every scan and x ray you could name because it had spread to her whole body and she could not even get out of bed to go to the toilet without crying with pain and my help,

The only time she went out was to the drs and hospital in the end in a wheelchair.

Finally she had a radioactive scan and this finally showed that she had arthritis in just about every joint.

She has had loads of different meds and even goes to hospital once every 2 months for some med to be given intravenously.

My point is this was the only scan that showed what was wrong with her.

Of course i could bore you all with the rest of the other things brought on by all this treatment but i won't.

Life for her for the last 5/6 years has been horrendous although she can get about a bit more now but cannot go anywhere on her own.

Only this weekend she passed out in the bathroom she passed out and had a fall and banged her head and hurt herself.

Before all this started she was a relatively fit woman so you never know whats around the corner.

My advice would be to let the good experts lead the way as regards to exercise etc not that my wife can do much even today.

Sorry for rambling a bit as it's been another shitty weekend.

Last edited:

robert d

Site Supporter
My wife started with just a pain in between her shoulders was given steroid injection and steroid tablets and improved almost immediately for a while but the pain soon spread.

She had various x rays and scans including a pet scan and was told it was fibromialgia by a very poor rhumatologist who thank god left the hospital soon after.

Over the next 2 years she had every scan and x ray you could name because it had spread to her whole body and she could not even get out of bed to go to the toilet without crying with pain and my help,

The only time she went out was to the drs and hospital in the end in a wheelchair.

Finally she had a radioactive scan and this finally showed that she had arthritis in just about every joint.

She has had loads of different meds and even goes to hospital once every 2 months for some med to be given intravenously.

My point is this was the only scan that showed what was wrong with her.

Of course i could bore you all with the rest of the other things brought on by all this treatment but i won't.

Life for her for the last 5/6 years has been horrendous although she can get about a bit more now but cannot go anywhere on her own.

Only this weekend she passed out in the bathroom she passed out and had a fall and banged her head and hurt herself.

Before all this started she was a relatively fit woman so you never know whats around the corner.

My advice would be to let the good experts lead the way as regards to exercise etc not that my wife can do much even today.

Sorry for rambling a bit as it's been another shitty weekend.
Your not rambling on at all .you can as you say tell me more details it wont bore me infact I'm interested but I appreciate it's a very private affair so il leave it to you to decide . I am going to see a doctor Wednesday all be it a student doctor as he's the only person available .I am going to insist on tests to discover what Ailes me .I have been fairly strong and fit most my life but have put up with the pain for a lot of years but it's getting worse and worse and very irritating when I cant do what I want . I'm so sorry to hear your story of your wife and pray that some sort of treatment can help her get back to a normal or near normal life.

Westy555

Hi

I have severe arthritis in my hip which is getting operated on 24th Feb - I cannot wait... For the pain i used these guys and its worth every penny

hempelf.com its completely legal

robert d

Site Supporter
Hi

I have severe arthritis in my hip which is getting operated on 24th Feb - I cannot wait... For the pain i used these guys and its worth every penny

hempelf.com its completely legal
Hope you get sorted and hopefully back to normal..I have seen doctor and at the moment they are going to test my blood see what that reads

richox12

After 6 arthroscopies I was told I was too young to habe a knee replacement... I'm 62 this year... my father in law has just had a knee replacement and he's 84
.. he's lived in pain for the last 12 years... its about time operations like this were done much earlier so a decent quality of life can be had

I had my knee replacement at 50

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
It's down to how severe it is, been waiting for 11years and I'm 66 ,67 later this year. Been surviving on codyramol and tramadol.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Guys. I've suffered for years arms, hips, knees. But last year in January when I had my MRI scan for cancer I also had a bone scan to see if the cancer had spread. The surgeons first words were, are you in much pain Mr Barrett, because you have so much arthritis in your bones it must be agony.

I started yoga about 10 years ago, and its the only thing I do to help the pain. Nothing crazy like standing on your head, but simple hip opening stretches, knee exercises back and the like. It will not be everyones idea of medication, but it helps more than any medication. Takes about 3 months to get your core right and knees supple, but after then. Because it's difficult to get yourself to do it, most go for the simple solution of medication, but I have helped a few, and none look back after 6 months. 20 minutes a day, all found on You-Tube if you look? Hope it helps someone anyway?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I have paid into the social since l left school at 16 and got my first job to keep house and home together. Have needed the NHS a few times over the years but would like at least one knee replacement but told by hospital to carry on taking the tablets even though over the years they have got stronger. They would rather give me a Blue Badge and constant tablets than a replacement knee. I believe I've paid enough in ,and still paying, over the years to get a bloody knee replacement.
Yes l took the bait !

richox12

I have paid into the social since l left school at 16 and got my first job to keep house and home together. Have needed the NHS a few times over the years but would like at least one knee replacement but told by hospital to carry on taking the tablets even though over the years they have got stronger. They would rather give me a Blue Badge and constant tablets than a replacement knee. I believe I've paid enough in ,and still paying, over the years to get a bloody knee replacement.
Yes l took the bait !

No bait dangled. I know exactly where you're coming from. Like you i've paid in since my first job at 16 and have done every year since. But I do get miffed when I have to additionally take out private medical insurance to get the treatment I am entitled to. Because it's far, far quicker (for me knee, after the keyhole + Dyson vacuum clear-out - it was a case of 'we can do next Tuesday sir'). The treatment on the NHS is first rate - in my experience - it's just the hassle, hoops you have to jump through and length of time it takes to get there which gets me.

But there are millions trying to do the same.

robert d

Site Supporter
No bait dangled. I know exactly where you're coming from. Like you i've paid in since my first job at 16 and have done every year since. But I do get miffed when I have to additionally take out private medical insurance to get the treatment I am entitled to. Because it's far, far quicker (for me knee, after the keyhole + Dyson vacuum clear-out - it was a case of 'we can do next Tuesday sir'). The treatment on the NHS is first rate - in my experience - it's just the hassle, hoops you have to jump through and length of time it takes to get there which gets me.

But there are millions trying to do the same.
Thank you all ,I have now got an exercise bike for my knees not much better yet but il keep trying . The doctor gave me a test for osteoarthritis It came back negative, I do have rotator cuff in both shoulders and my elbows and wrists are still bad to must be tendonitis . I have ordered some resistance elastics for strengthening them il see how I go . I will also look on youtube for yoga exercises to . Thanks to you all for your input

Rick123

Site Supporter
Yes l took the bait !
Tinca Steve. Maybe take a leaf out of mine and Roberts book and try some light exercise? I'm sorry you're in pain, I know how it feels honest I do. Right now my poor wife age 77 has sciatica in her leg really bad. She cannot take any medication (anti-inflammatory) like I could, because it interferes with her heart medicine. So no pain relief, I'm trying to help her with exercise each day, as I've don't it for years, but its slow because of her pain. We will get through it, but exercise is the only long term cure. Best wishes Steve mate.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Do lots of exercise plus walking around doing all my plants everyday. Do a ten minute isometric routine every morning. Not just for the exercise but to tighten the skin after losing so much weight and size 😱😱
No cure except under the knife when you argue with a train and lose.😖😭🤕

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Just a quick word about replacement joint surgery. This will obviously not apply in every case, it is just one of the criteria.
Surgeons are often reluctant to perform joint replacement on younger people because the artificial joint does have a limited life span. With younger patients there is a real risk that the replacement may wear out or break down while the patient is still relatively young and if that happens the patient could become completely disabled. You can't replace the replacement as there will be not enough bone to connect it to. As I say, it just depends on individual cases and doing a risk/benefit assessment.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Yesteryear l would agree with you that the connection between bone and pin would indeed wear out as you say , but now with advancements in surgery techniques and ways of ' gluing ' the connection they last much longer and possibly be replaced with a second joint. It's down to how much bone is removed. The actual ' joints' made today will outlive even a youngster it's the join that gives out.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Robert. I bang on about Yoga. Last year I had cancer and a bone scan to see if it was in my bones. The Doctor was amazed at the amount of arthritis in my bones, everywhere. I don't take pain killers as they upset my guts. I got into Yoga 20 years ago, and it helps a lot. You won't be pain free, but much much better doing it. Most people cannot be bothered to be honest, 15 minutes a day, they would rather take a pill. But buy a dvd or look on You-Tube lots of Arthritis exercises to copy? Hope it helps, I also were knee braces when fishing buddy?

robert d

Site Supporter
Robert. I bang on about Yoga. Last year I had cancer and a bone scan to see if it was in my bones. The Doctor was amazed at the amount of arthritis in my bones, everywhere. I don't take pain killers as they upset my guts. I got into Yoga 20 years ago, and it helps a lot. You won't be pain free, but much much better doing it. Most people cannot be bothered to be honest, 15 minutes a day, they would rather take a pill. But buy a dvd or look on You-Tube lots of Arthritis exercises to copy? Hope it helps, I also were knee braces when fishing buddy?
Cheers Rick ive gone down the exercise route to ,it does help a little 👍