Arrow Valley

Zerkalo

Anyone fish it? Maybe one for the local Redditch anglers? @bluemack?

There's a few videos on youtube including Cadence and James Robbins when he was with Shakespeare and it looks like there's some Bream in there but checking the match weights on Facebook it looks a bit hit and miss with some problems at the moment, almost sounds as though they've put a temporary net around part of the lake with no fishing in that area? Cormorants and Poaching I've heard about too.

That being said I want somewhere other than Earlswood and maybe Calf Heath Res to do some Bream fishing in Spring if I can catch them when not spawning seeing as Patshull does not open until summer. Reckon this would fit the bill?

drw

Site Supporter
Have you had a look at Arley reservoir it’s on your side of the Severn and when I was up there in the summer there were plenty of bream being caught in bright sunshine conditions maybe worth a look

Zerkalo

Have you had a look at Arley reservoir it’s on your side of the Severn and when I was up there in the summer there were plenty of bream being caught in bright sunshine conditions maybe worth a look

Trimpley Reservoir? I haven't mate. I haven't even seen the Trimpley stretch of the Severn but it's definitely another to check out, cheers! £40 a year or something like that last time I checked so not too bad. Though when Patshull opens in summer that will be my main hunting ground as I love that place. 😁(y)

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Trimpley has a long waiting list unless you can get an invite, Arrow Valley has a few silvers matches with good weights, there are lots of huge carp in there aswell.

Zerkalo

Trimpley is another BAA stretch of Severn I really want to try, just haven't got round to it yet, there's a great video on youtube of wading and float fishing for Barbel there on a gravel bank.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

There's a few videos on youtube including Cadence and James Robbins when he was with Shakespeare and it looks like there's some Bream in there but checking the match weights on Facebook it looks a bit hit and miss with some problems at the moment, almost sounds as though they've put a temporary net around part of the lake with no fishing in that area? Cormorants and Poaching I've heard about too.

That being said I want somewhere other than Earlswood and maybe Calf Heath Res to do some Bream fishing in Spring if I can catch them when not spawning seeing as Patshull does not open until summer. Reckon this would fit the bill?
It used to be good years ago ,some good carp ,bream ,roach ,rudd, and koi lol ,havent fished it for years

Zerkalo

It used to be good years ago ,some good carp ,bream ,roach ,rudd, and koi lol ,havent fished it for years

When I mentioned it to my dad he said he'd fished there years ago, apparently right next to the Shakespeare factory in Redditch? It seems like one of the banks there is even called the Shakespeare bank! I like the sound of at least giving it a try anyway.

robert d

Site Supporter

Alvechurch lakes is another good one

robert d

Site Supporter
Spoiled for choice around here! I've heard of good weights of Barbel coming from one of the lakes there.
My brother fishes there ,loads of venues as you say , tunnel can be good for a day out

robert d

Site Supporter
Spoiled for choice around here! I've heard of good weights of Barbel coming from one of the lakes there.
Shattersford ive heard is good, i used to fly fish there and of course Packington

robert d

Site Supporter
When I mentioned it to my dad he said he'd fished there years ago, apparently right next to the Shakespeare factory in Redditch? It seems like one of the banks there is even called the Shakespeare bank! I like the sound of at least giving it a try anyway.
Lovely picturesque place when i fished there

Zerkalo

My brother fishes there ,loads of venues as you say , tunnel can be good for a day out
Tunnel Barn used to be my neck of the woods when I lived on the border of Solihull. Fished a few Junior Matches there and it was the only place I really fished when I had a break from fishing for several years.

Shattersford ive heard is good, i used to fly fish there and of course Packington
Seen some good videos there, including Des Shipp for the Bream I think, it's only 10 minutes away from me but the prices/syndicate style of it has always put me off so far.

Lovely picturesque place when i fished there
Does look nice, look forward to trying it.

bluemack

Site Supporter

Hi mate, Arrow Valley can be well worth a go from April onwards with lots of skimmers and some nice Bream (i,ve had them to about 7lb)
also lots of Roach and Perch,there is a good head of Carp but are rarely caught by those targeting silvers,the odd one may turn up but
not very often.
I think the poaching problem has been dealt with now and i don,t see so many cormorants these days BUT in the past month or so a family
of Otters have moved into the lake whether this may impact the fishing is anyones guess.
I have to say i very rarely fish there these days ( not into stillwaters) But i walk round there most days with my dog so do have a good idea what,s
going on. I find the best pegs are opposite the cafe near the overhead cables with the flyer being the end peg with the floating island,it,s very underfished to be honest and in my mind very underrated. Let me know if you decide to give it a go and i,ll come and see ya .
All the Best .Mal.

Zerkalo

Hi mate, Arrow Valley can be well worth a go from April onwards with lots of skimmers and some nice Bream (i,ve had them to about 7lb)
also lots of Roach and Perch,there is a good head of Carp but are rarely caught by those targeting silvers,the odd one may turn up but
not very often.
I think the poaching problem has been dealt with now and i don,t see so many cormorants these days BUT in the past month or so a family
of Otters have moved into the lake whether this may impact the fishing is anyones guess.
I have to say i very rarely fish there these days ( not into stillwaters) But i walk round there most days with my dog so do have a good idea what,s
going on. I find the best pegs are opposite the cafe near the overhead cables with the flyer being the end peg with the floating island,it,s very underfished to be honest and in my mind very underrated. Let me know if you decide to give it a go and i,ll come and see ya .
All the Best .Mal.

Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated. Still looking forward to our weir session if we ever get chance! I'll let you know when I head to Arrow Valley, April onwards sounds a good bet!

markyboy

Grew up fishing Arrow Valley as a kid as only a mile or so from my parents house. Only fish there occasionally now and seems you need to be able to fish to the islands to get the bream and occasionally the carp. From the shakespeare bank the island is a reasonable chuck of 50m, from the opposite side it is nearer 80m (distances taken from google maps). The inlet end (the car park off Battens Drive is closed to fishing and used to be the place to fish in the summer months when I was a kid using luncheon meat for carp in the 3-7lbs category. Pole fishing in the winter by the visitor centre used to throw up bags of roach to 30lbs but dont know if that still happens. Can be very difficult as last time I fished it was September 2019 and blanked!!!

Zerkalo

Grew up fishing Arrow Valley as a kid as only a mile or so from my parents house. Only fish there occasionally now and seems you need to be able to fish to the islands to get the bream and occasionally the carp. From the shakespeare bank the island is a reasonable chuck of 50m, from the opposite side it is nearer 80m (distances taken from google maps). The inlet end (the car park off Battens Drive is closed to fishing and used to be the place to fish in the summer months when I was a kid using luncheon meat for carp in the 3-7lbs category. Pole fishing in the winter by the visitor centre used to throw up bags of roach to 30lbs but dont know if that still happens. Can be very difficult as last time I fished it was September 2019 and blanked!!!
Thanks for the info! I'll be giving it a try this spring hopefully for the Bream so the Shakespeare bank sounds like a good bet! (y)

markyboy

Just an update for anyone that is interested - my last visit to arrow valley, 3wks ago (in which I blanked), the bailiff told me that he is giving up the bailiff job (does it voluntarily) due to the abuse he gets from the carp anglers that night fish there. the only other bailiff is John Bushell who is retiring this year so the lake will unfortunately become a free for all. It has suffered from several fish thefts, some involving violence, over the last few years and unfortunately this may become more prevalent. Redditch and District AC have ended their association with the water too. Found it really sad news that a water that was once one of the most prolific match venues in the midlands when run by Redditch Borough Council seems to be going down the pan.