Arrow Valley Lake

markyboy

Not been out since lockdown but decided to go to get some fresh air and maybe a fish or two on Saturday. With 2 degree air temp and 6 degree water temp and a mix of rain and snow when I arrived at my peg was not hoping for much. Spent 2 hours fishing popped up bread and or mini boilies to a feature at around 80m hoping for a carp but the tip never moved so went to plan B. Mini hybrid feeder with groundbait, a 10mm red wafter on a 14 QM1 so virtually weighless when tested in a tub of water. Clipped up at 40m and out it went, left the first 3 chucks for 15 mins then on the fourth chuck at 8 mins the tip pulled round and I was in. The almost dead weight with the occasional solid thump as I slowly drew the fish towards me made me think it was bream shaped and sure enough I put my landing net under a nice 3lb bream. Next cast and the same happened only I missed the bite as I struck too early. No mistake third cast and another 3lb bream was soon in the net. This set the pattern for the rest of the day and I finished with 12 bream between 3 and 4lb for a 38lb total.
Anyone that knows the size of Arrow Valley will be able to appreciate how much water must have been flowing into the lake as when I started my wooden platform was 2" above the water and when I packed up 6hrs later it was an inch under the water!!!

Attachments

• 20210130_113340.jpg
    20210130_113340.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210130_160803.jpg
    20210130_160803.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 16

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Great session that 👍🏻

It’s only really been in the last few years that I’ve kind of cottoned on to how reliable feeders bream sometimes can be when it’s cold.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Nice net of fish.
Where the Arrow flows though by Alcester which is a fair way down from the Valley the river was over the banks and that's very unusual.

Zerkalo

Sounds like a good day! I want to fish there so that's promising for a few Spring sessions there for me.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Nice net of fish there - I always found it a little alarming when the tide comes in on a lake during your session

markyboy

Nice net of fish.
Where the Arrow flows though by Alcester which is a fair way down from the Valley the river was over the banks and that's very unusual.
Yes, noticed the arrow had risen by about a foot between the morning and afternoon going to and from my peg

bluemack

Site Supporter
For some reason it,s not letting me see the pic, i,ll be over there tomo so will have a mosy. (y)

markyboy

Went again this Saturday, was planning on fishing on the point but there were some carp boys there so settled in on peg 45 next to where I had fished the previous weekend. Not a bite all day on the hybrid feeder ringing the changes with hookbaits. Fortunately popped up bread got me out of jail fished at 70m on the bomb, 2 bites, 2 fish, a stunning 10lb carp that was almost orange in colour and next cast a 4lb bream. bailiff collared me this time and it's £6 on the bank for a day ticket.