Army

Status
Not open for further replies.

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Hey,
When i leave school at probley 16 next year i wanna have a career in the army...
I went on a residential last week for 3days in the life of the Army , I througly enjoyed it...
i wondered if any of you as any experince in the armed forces?????
Please told me what you fought of it,
Thanx it would help a great deal.

p.s i arnt stupid i just wanna Do something in life what i will probley enjoy and the saying is you only live life once...

Regards Gf

norm

my mate just joined the army this year and said it is the best thing he has ever done ,and wishes he did it when first left school

it isn`t the size of the tiddler that counts

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
hiya G/F no iv'e not been in the forces but good luck to you, its a good life for a young active man, learn yourself a trade and see the world at the same time,good luck in whatever you do and dont forget you can still post us from where ever you go.
all the best.

teepee.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Gary I've got a Cousin in the RAF and he's been there for best part of 20yrs now, and 2 nephews in the army.
One (22) is in the Guards and has been since school (apparently you go into a sort of academy first until 17) and another who has left his job as a mechanic in a garage recently and signed up as a trainee mechanic in the army, engineers I think.
It's supposed to be a realy good career which like everything else if you work at it, can also stand you in good stead back in civvy street.

Have a word with your schools career advisor, check your options and maybe even pop into the Army offices in town, address and phone number in the book.

Dave

martin.

Account Locked
hi gf
my daughter is 16 in nov & is looking at going in to the army next year I wanted to when i left school but ive been disabled since i was 3 so failed medical ive known a few people to go in and they have all done well ,
i think the best one to give you advice on this one is trev i know at least 2 of his lads have been in
if you do decide to go in all i can say is do your best & make the most of it & the best of luck

tight lines.
martin.

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
yeah thanx guys.. i was in the Raf cadets for 1 year but to be a pilot 1st u need a's and b's and a Levels and im Scared of heights. im off to the army cadets next week with twig (Dave its nr Bob Co tackle)
So ill start from there!!!!!

Regards Gf

Edited by - goin_fishin on 28 April 2002 8:32:20 PM

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Spent 10 years in Royal Signals 1964 - 1974. Obviously Armed Forces have changed since my time but don't forget the old Forces moto.

Join the Army, see the world, go to strange and exotic countries and meet different and varied nationalities, then shoot 'em.

Go for it, you may not like it once you are in, but if you didn't try it you would always wish you had.

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Garry,
If you are prepared to work at it and take the rough with the smooth, then its a fine career.
Both my two oldest lads served with the 9th/12th Lancers for over 8 years each!
They both left,when they settled down with Girls from the Countrys that they were serving in!

Greg now lives in Northern Ireland and Simon in Germany.
The Good Times for them were trips to Canada , The States, attached to the UN in Cyprus, Germany

Average times, Belize. Falklands, places where not much to do,
Downside, Bosnia, Kosovo and Simon went throughthe war in Kuwait, known as Operation Desert Storm!
He didnt seem to mind, but I did!
I also didnt like the several times they spent in Northern Ireland, but Greg fell in love with the place!

So, like everything else in life, there is good and bad, and life is what you make it! Certainly, the opportunities you will receive for travel in the army will be greater than anything outside and the Cadets will give you an insight. (My youngest did 3 years in the Army cadets, but never joined!)

Personally, I was in the ATC, but failed the medical for a flying position in the RAF, so didnt pursue it a flying was all I wanted to do.

Try it with the Cadets and envisage how it would be if you couldn't go home at nights!

All the best

Trev

Ziptrev
Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
27 years for me. Joined the Navy in '64. Got out in '68 to go back to school. Hated being a civilian and back in - but Coast Guard this time in '71. Luckily I stayed in the Reserve Forces during the school hiatus so didn't lose anything.

2 sons tried military life. One Marines and one Army. Neither liked it well enough to stick around after a single hitch but both came out with good experience, some training, and a little money so not bad for them either.

You will probably love it or hate it. If you love it, stay in. Otherwise, just stick out the minimum required time and then move on. You will have gained from it so there is really no downside.

Newt Vail

Ray Owen

'Nomad'
Hi GF,

Spent 10 years in the Royal Signals also (small world Geoff P) fished for them for 3 I wish i was still there now

tight lines

Ray

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:
Hi GF,

Spent 10 years in the Royal Signals also (small world Geoff P) fished for them for 3 I wish i was still there now

tight lines

Ray

Ray, it is a small world. When we finally meet it will be a case of "pull up an ammo box and I'll tell you a story"

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Thanx for the info...
I rang the Army Career Offices in Leeds today after school he told me where the Barracks and the Day the cadets enroll...

Regards Gf

dazalio

DAZ
orite gf, My uncle (20) was in the army for about 2 years,he joined when he was about 18,he went out to Kosovo during the fighting for 9 months (not exactly on the front line) and he really enjoyed it he met lads with similar interests as him from all over the world,but when he came home he decided to buy a Vauxhall Corsa (his first car) with all the money he had saved from being in Kosovo well...3 days later the silly muppet only crashed it and wrote it off.Because of this he lost all interest in the Armed Forces (so would anyone else spending 9 months in a warzone and coming with a pile of scrap).In the end he started mucking about and came to an agreement with his c/o to be discharged.One day I got into a lil conversation with my uncle and he said if you are going in the army it's best to do it just as you come out of school. So don't be as daft as him and sign up the day you leave you enjoy it.I'm also thinking about joining the army if you go on www.bethebest.co.uk there is certain times were you can chat with a an Army officer and he'll tell you everything you need to know about it.

ALIO
army.gif

BE THE BEST...

Status
Not open for further replies.