Argggh New Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Why is everything so damn difficult?

New laptop for SWMBO (old one bolloxed up by Windows 10).

Install office - cant send the link because outlook not installed yet.

Running like sludge (downloading updates in the background but wont admit it).

Lots of bloatware installed - still to go through it.

Cant install office because needs a different microsoft account for each pc

Cant import contacts - have to do them one at a time. Thankfully SWMBO doesn't have too many.

Cant import emails

Cant set up two users - wont share common documents.

Cant install solar monitor device driver - new software version doesn't work, old one wont install. (Worked fine before).

Printer worked first time.

Wont recognise external hard disk with all documents / images etc on them.

Everything else, just pants.

Finally got there - every spare minute for two days now.

Why is it so difficult?

/Rant mode off.

genesis

Account Locked
At least you got that off your chest Spanky [:0][:T]

groundhog

Life Survivor
[:)] Windows 10 input out put error by the sound of it spanky mate,No matter what you try to input windows 10 will not accept it,So the output is the same as windows 10 ONE BIG ERROR!!!,you have my sympathy spanky mate.[:T]
[:D][:D][:D]

Last edited:

bagger7

tomo
Site Supporter
Wife had the same problems in the end cleared windows 10 then installed windows 7 now has no problems then again we both prefer win7
B7 jon

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I cant roll back to Windows 7 - too many related devices... I think I'm there now.

Just needed to vent.

I hate setting up a new laptop - it takes days to get it how I want it, even without the setup / copying issues.

bagger7

tomo
Site Supporter
Wifey having trouble with hearing but guess what LG tv,s don't have headphone out now we stuffed but can use them on her l/t strange aint it
jon

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Cant import contacts - have to do them one at a time. Thankfully SWMBO doesn't have too many.

Cant import emails

do a search for your .PST file, it contains all your outlook info.... otherwise if the old PC is still running, download all the info to a memory stick and then plug it into the new one

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Arry

Cant import emails

do a search for your .PST file, it contains all your outlook info.... otherwise if the old PC is still running, download all the info to a memory stick and then plug it into the new one

It was slightly more complex than that - so had to do contacts via a VCF file. But Outlook wouldn't read the VCF file (only the last record). So had to create a VCF per contact and import one at a time (Outlook doesn't let you block select files for import).

But... all sorted now.

willsmodger

Ooh, a man has just walked past and looked right in the house! Ooh, there's a gang of lads by the alley! The never ending security reminders are like having your nan sitting on your lap.
Imho, computers don't work properly yet, not like the ones in sci fi films do where a soothing female voice just takes care of everything.
Mardy laptops are a pain, what I do is find a review site and leave a bad review, just so the uppity thing knows its place.
Probably went to far with one, it got depression and didn't want to do anything.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
Windows 7 no good on new chipsets as you wont get updates from Micr0$Oft
Some laptops offer a clean reinstall without bloatware ( HP IIRC does )
Instead of outlook I use windows live mail and have managed to move emails / contacts from PC to PC ( but am still using 7 )

pat 1948

22/09/13 - 17/03/18
In Memoriam
I'm dreading my desk top going up the suff, it's getting on bit these days and I'm running windows 7 which I believe will only be valid for another couple of years, and I've yet to hear a good word about windows 10.

jods

Site Supporter
I've been using Windows 10 since it came out not had a single problem with it. I do have a PC that is capable of running it though.

ajggb

Should of bought a Mac
Originally posted by spanky

Why is everything so damn difficult?

New laptop for SWMBO (old one bolloxed up by Windows 10).

Install office - cant send the link because outlook not installed yet.

Running like sludge (downloading updates in the background but wont admit it).

Lots of bloatware installed - still to go through it.

Cant install office because needs a different microsoft account for each pc

Cant import emails

Cant set up two users - wont share common documents.

Cant install solar monitor device driver - new software version doesn't work, old one wont install. (Worked fine before).

Printer worked first time.

Wont recognise external hard disk with all documents / images etc on them.

Everything else, just pants.

Finally got there - every spare minute for two days now.

Why is it so difficult?

/Rant mode off.
[:W]

davylad

Another Mac supporter, no issues whatsoever in almost two years. I just wish I'd switched a lot earlier.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by pat 1948

I'm dreading my desk top going up the suff, it's getting on bit these days and I'm running windows 7 which I believe will only be valid for another couple of years, and I've yet to hear a good word about windows 10.

I have stated several times on this site that my laptops run Windows 10 and I have had no issues at all with it. My latest computer (lenovo all in one) took 3 hours to set up and works perfectly.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by Geoff P

I have stated several times on this site that my laptops run Windows 10 and I have had no issues at all with it. My latest computer (lenovo all in one) took 3 hours to set up and works perfectly.

My experience varies.

The laptop I use for work (I'm effectively self employed) is five years old but very high spec - HP 8760W. Runs windows 10 with hardly any issues.

The laptop I'm phasing out (old, lower spec)- problems from the moment we swapped over and now the keyboard driver is knackered.

The new laptop - windows ok. It's just the hassle of configuration and document changeover that's been a hassle. Now that I have the same office system on both I'm expecting the hassles to disappear. It seems stable in use so far.

I think if you have a reasonable spec, new machine you should be ok. But anything slightly flaky will struggle.

pat 1948

22/09/13 - 17/03/18
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Geoff P

My desk top is a Zoostorm Geoff and I know nowt about it, being honest when owt untoward happens I generally shout the Mrs as she done a couple of courses at the local college on them a few years ago, I keep saying my knowledge of computers and tuppence wouldn't buy me a 'tupp'ny haepenny' stamp![:D][;)]

bagger7

tomo
Site Supporter
For pauln got on the phone to geek squad today and was told that after this summer windows live mail is no longer going to be supported by windows and that no updates will be available after its dropped and that i would have to find another mail supporter not good coz like you i find it easy to use just a heads up for you [:0]

B7 jon

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
back to Thunderbird then, been a few years since I used it ( 2000 pro days ! )
https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/

biggsy

Site Supporter
Originally posted by pauln

back to Thunderbird then, been a few years since I used it ( 2000 pro days ! )
https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/
Been using thunderbird for years on xp,7 and 10 even ubuntu without a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.