Are you local ? Clear as mud !

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
This is why there needs to be clear rules, if it’s guidelines the police have no authority. How can you have individual coppers deciding what is and isn’t a reasonable distance to travel for exercise. There has to be some consistency.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Seems as if the police were out of order,there is no distance mentioned in the regulation.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The police force involved, Derbyshire Police, said driving for exercise was "not in the spirit" of lockdown.

I can't see anything out of order with that - what's wrong with walking to the destination?
And what is it with people - they've stopped off on the way to buy a hot drink, why do you need to carry a hot drink with you when you go for a walk?

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i think local should mean staying in your postcode, easily checked as well then and driving to go for a walk is not a necessity so fine is totally correct, you can walk from your front door for god sake! again it comes down to a bit of common sense - common sense if i want to walk i go it from my house, everyone can do that even if it is not where they "prefer" to walk, we arent talking about people preferences here

Exercise - within walking distance of your home (if you can walk 5 miles go for it) but start and finish at your front door!
Travel - stay in your postcode (first part ideally) - easily checked and enforced - the below is what i would say is the total maximum distance allowed but would suggest enforcing the first part of your postcode and neighbour ones (local police can easily enforce. i.e. CO14, CO12 & CO13 for me (though i will not leave CO13 & CO14 but thats my choice as i think that is local)

1610107139983.png

1610106753842.png

Last edited:

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
spot on Dave, why does it have to be a set bloody limit? people cant use common bloody sense anymore.

The police force involved, Derbyshire Police, said driving for exercise was "not in the spirit" of lockdown.

I can't see anything out of order with that - what's wrong with walking to the destination?
And what is it with people - they've stopped off on the way to buy a hot drink, why do you need to carry a hot drink with you when you go for a walk?

Reuben

Site Supporter

Quite right. I think the rules state exercise should begin & end at home - at least up here. What’s so complicated about that? Some folk need written instructions in order to go for a dump...

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
From National lockdown: Stay at Home

1610106296743.png
Which seems pretty clear to me.

Personally, this looks very much like a spirit of the law vs letter of the law (where law is being used vaguely). In this instance I think a warning would be more appropriate - the whole 5 miles and picnic is a bit arbitrary and open to enforcement abuse.

Now try this for size...

I would like to go for a walk for exercise. There are two open spaces near me:

(1) is a water park with two large lakes about 1.5 miles away, parking is very tight and muddy and technically it is in the same town where I live. If you walk around these you have two choices - follow the path in an oval, or follow the path and do a figure of eight, that's it. There are no other routes possible (boggy/swampy etc.). It's very busy and you're passing people on the path going the other way every 30 seconds or so.

(2) is the local common (about 300 acres) about a mile away, parking is easy and well-spaced, technically it belongs to the next town/village although I'm only 100 metres from the boundary where one becomes the other. Here you can walk around as much as you want, on or off paths and can easily stay a good distance from other walkers, and overall I would say it is less busy than the water park.

So technically I should go to (1), but (2) is far easier, quieter and safer. Am I allowed to go to the common?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you want to go for a walk, open your front door and start walking :D

Heck, I can even drop into a Starbucks within 1/2mile if I wanted to carry a coffee with me :D

"Jessica Allen (left) and Eliza Moore are now sticking to walks nearer their homes"

So they've now had their 15minutes of fame, got the message, == result ;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Derbyshire Police said in a statement: "Driving to a location - where exercise could easily have been taken closer to a person's home - is clearly not in the spirit of the national effort to reduce our travel, reduce the possible spread of the disease and reduce the number of deaths.
"Each officer will use their professional judgement on a case-by-case basis, however, people should expect to be challenged and understand the clear reasons why they may be asked about their movements given the critical situation the NHS currently finds itself in."

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Common sense says your postcode so BD16, hence I have 12.65 square miles to go at. Pee takers will say BD postcode that is 500 square miles 🙃

david white

Site Supporter
Dave said:
.........So they've now had their 15minutes of fame, got the message, == result ;)
^^ Was my first thought when I read about it....

Persactly, they took the juice, got caught, had their names and faces in the limelight ( likely for a ‘fee’ ) sounds like a calculated act of “ look oh woe is me, it was that bad we thought there’d been a murder !! “ IF one of them had the virus and passed it on or has caught the virus ( maybe from one of those nasty officious coppers ) at the scene and then passed it to someone who dies there will have been a murder

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i feel the need to take a dump but its 10 steps away and then up the stairs, am i allowed to go through the door and up the stairs or should i take a dump in the kitchen sink??? not sure if i am allowed to travel that far or not as its not been defined how many steps i can take and if i can or cannot walk up the stairs?