Are you competitive?

Whisker

Site Supporter
I fish club matches and couldn’t care less if I don’t win. I go expecting nothing so I’m never disappointed. Makes a win or a section sweeter imo.

rudd

Site Supporter
In a nut shell - yes, the rare times I fish matches, in it to win it.
When Specimen fishing and other anglers present - I try harder.
When theres only me - jusy enjoy it.

Last Autumn was on a peg catching Roach and Skimmers when another couple of members turned up with carp kit and muttered about me fishing for tiddlers.
That me goat and I went into overdrive for four hours as if I had international anglers around me.
Took no notice of anything else apart from catching - thats all that mattered.
When it came to me packing up they came round for a gander and we struggled to get a 3m net out of the water.
A very big net of quality Roach, Perch and Skimmers - one of the carpers vowed to get his match kit out and do a bit of waggler fishing.
Same venue and peg I posted about on Christmas eve.
May fish that peg tomorrow?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Very. In everything I do. I'm not a great fisherman but I love the buzz of match fishing, especially team fishing like winter leagues. Even when I'm pleasure fishing by myself, I set up & fish as though it were a match.
I'm not a great darts player but I skipper our pub teams & often don't pick myself. I get just as big a buzz if the lads win though.
Daft thing is, I am a good pool player (if I say so myself) but have packed in playing for the pub pool team this year.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I am not at all competitive. I’ve never fished a match and it doesn’t interest me at all. I’ve never even used a keepnet. I plan to make an exception for MD get togethers just for the crack. I fish better than a lot of people I meet on the commercials (even if I do say so myself) but there are some serious experts on maggotdrowners and I wouldn’t stand a chance in an MD match so I just see it as a day fishing with excellent company. I was always the kid who got picked last during PE and was utterly useless at sports so I guess I’ve never had anything to be competitive about.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Yes ... i really enjoy match fishing, but also very pleased for others when they win.
i get frustrated when I’ve made a mistake ... but don’t beat myself up if I struggle on a bad peg.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Used to be.... captained the club
Match team in the Essex Club League, fished the div 3 national with Chelmsford always competitive in club matches... not now though... like to fish for the odd nugget but thats as far as it goes

Rod Anne Reel

I used to play Darts at a fairly high level, but have recently given that up due to not being able to play at weekends because
of work commitments. I only ever used to fish Rivers really for pleasure and to relax, but now that I've given the darts up and
I'm not playing in competitions, I've found myself more and more being attracted to midweek opens at local commercials.
I've not yet fished one, as I don't have enough experience yet, but I've got myself a pole etc, and will be spending all my
midweek fishing time now trying to get better and better so that I feel i'm at a level where I can go along and at least catch
a few fish. I am competitive and do enjoy the playing against someone else side of things but winning isn't the be all and
end all for me, it's more a case of trying to improve myself at the sport I'm doing and I think by playing competitvely you
learn so many more things and improve doing it under pressure more than doing it as a hobby.

davylad

Site Supporter
I wouldn't bother going fishing if I didn't have some sort of challenge, whether it be beating the blokes either side or a challenge I've set myself. I went boat fishing yesterday out of Whitby, and the bloke next to me at the stern was battering me for a couple of hours, it was doing my head in, but I was obviously smiling and saying "oh well done another one" whilst under my breath I was calling him all the lucky barstewards. I did catch him up a little, but I'll go hungry on fish before he does. I've got to admit, I was never a good loser, it takes a lot of control to hide your emotions after getting a hammering. The worse thing about that though is, it makes it even better for the bloke that's beat you.

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
Nope,i too idle to put that much effort in,as long as I catch something,I happy

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I think "used to be" is the right phrase for me - mostly in other sports particularly football. Not so much in fishing which I did not start until I was well into my 30s but I did win a couple of local competitions (coarse). Stopped competing following my second MI