Are you competitive?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I don't fish matches at the moment but did as a kid for a Junior Club and fished in some Junior Nationals. It might seem a bit sad but I still have a competitive streak left over from those early days even though I am pleasure fishing and only really competing against myself. I'd love to eventually fish some matches again.

How about you? Competitive or not a competitive bone in your body?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Depends on the circumstances for me. If I'm in a bit of a friendly knock-up, MD'ers meets etc. then I'm just there for the fun and enjoyment. However, in a proper match scenario, then my match head goes on and I can be very competitive. It stems from 27 years on the open match circuit fishing 100+ peggers.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
No not really, I’ve never really been of a level at anything to be worth getting competitive about. Certainly never been competitive fishing wise.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Not really competitive in most things, played cricket, fished, ran a little all just for the fun and taking part but put me on a football pitch and I change into Mr competitive

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Very competitive but only in sports where it's your and/or your partners ability against your opponents.
Never really took matchfishing seriously as far too many elements involved such as draw,luck,being done by one fish etc

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I used to love the Matches on a sunday and have to say yes i went with the intention of doing well, Tomorrow im Fishing with my Cousin, more like a Brother, and i aint bothered one bit, if we catch we catch, i will even go as far as helping him get a good fish (y)

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
When I was first learning about match fishing I wasn't competitive as learning was more important. When I became competent at match fishing I was very competitive and cursed myself if I made errors to my cost of being beaten. Now I am only competitive between myself and the fish and still curse if I lose fish or don't catch. In my mind it is never the fishes fault, only mine by way of not using the right tactics or method on the day.

Oldmech

Site Supporter
Yes very competitive, been match fishing for 40 odd years and though mostly club matches now with the odd open thrown in, still play darts and doms in a league, used to play quoits in two leagues and always play to win no matter what.

Macca81

I’m very competitive I hate being beat, even if it’s a game of Rock Paper Scissors ? I had never taken match fishing that serious until I hung up my rugby boots though, I must just need to satisfy my competitive streak somewhere.

Rigmann

Site Supporter
I wouldn’t say I’m competitive but I’m keen to learn and if that appears as competitive so be it

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I used to fish matches most weekends, was fairly competitive, but now winning means nothing, possibly explains supporting West Ham.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I wouldn’t say I’m competitive but I’m keen to learn and if that appears as competitive so be it

Me too! I went on a coaching session with Team England as a kid and the question Mark Downes asked me to get selected was what makes a good angler? My answer was willingness to learn and to work out if you're not catching then why! :) I have read on here that some people don't like pleasure fishing anymore since they started match fishing. Me, I'm going to enter an open on a local venue that's unlikely to attract Top Anglers later this year when it warms up. Then I'll learn the hard way that I'm likely to be pools fodder.

ae111sr

Site Supporter
Haven't fished a match for over 20 years and I didn't fish at all for 10 of those. There are over 50s matches every week on my local fishery but always declined the invitations. So not, not competitive at all:D

Dusty

I only fish for a club through work but still take it quite seriously and make sure I fully prepared.
I don’t usually sleep the night before a match and get quite nervous in the opening hour until I settle into the match.

We only fish for £20-25 to the winner unless you draw a golden peg but I like to try and o my best. I’d say the club is 50/50 with serious and casual anglers.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never had a interest in match fishing other than social side and to learn from other anglers. Having to fish the time and place of someone else's choosing and to have to fish with full concentration the whole time is not fun to me. Much rather turn up when I want then fish where I want and how I want and then leave when I want lol

Dusty

Since I started match fishing it’s made my usual fishing slightly less enjoyable to be honest. I love the idea of drawing a peg and having to devise a plan.

Total

Site Supporter
When I match fish (opens or club) I'm very competitive.....But I win gracefully and I lose gracefully......

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
From what I remember of Draws it can obviously go two ways lol. From Canal matches I'd always draw end peg and have to walk half a mile but on the other hand when you draw a flyer like I tended to do on commercials it's much fun bagging up. Remember drawing the bridge peg on Tunnel Barn House Pool in a Winter match and bagging 100lb over the next weight haha one of the best days I've had fishing. That's what I mean about my competitive streak.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Used to be very competitive and did a lot of team fishing with some success upto the age of 25. However I reached the point where I realised that I couldn't afford the time to take it further without jeopardising my work/life balance. Fishing very much took a backseat for the next 5 years then I got back into club fishing. Never really got the competitive streak back to the degree I first had but still enjoy matches and the banter with mates and other like minded individuals. Still able to pop a few in the net and pick up the odd brown envelope and Nugget though, but it's not the be all and end of things, as long as I enjoy it. ;)