Are we getting ripped off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dibber

Hi all bit of a gripe really.

This morning my new pole arrived at work, as most MDer's have already read[:D]. After work I planned to go to the local fishing shop in Cardiff to pick up some pole elasticating equipment. When I arrived it was quite busy so off I went to the pole gear section, ah I thought, what do I need first - a pole bung. I picked one up (the only type they had in the shop, which had no make on it!) and proceeded to ask the price. To my utter disbelief 1.99 was the reply and then you need the extractor for a futher 1.99[:0]. The pole bung did not even have a swivel attached and the extractor was a straight 12" piece of plastic tube - not even threaded! I shook my head in disbelief and told the shop attendant that it was not what I was looking for. I proceeded to leave the shop empty handed when the ready made pole rig section took my eye over I went a looked at the price of the ready made rigs - cheapest was 2.50, which is reasonable I thought, but how can they charge 1.99 for a pole bung which is basically a piece of moulded plastic and 2.50 for another piece of moulded plastic with 2.00 worth of accessories on it[?].
I am going to another fishing shop tomorrow where I belive better quality pole bungs can be bought for about the same price - I have 4 top kits to elasticate, I aready have elastic and stonfo's and I don't mind paying for bung's as long as they're QUALITY ones[:(!]

So the final question is :- Does anyone else think we are getting ripped off or am I just a tightwad[?]

Angry Dibber

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Did u have an english accent?.I have the same probs on hols they charge me extra and talk funny.Only joking

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
Whch shop in Cardiff did you go to?

Dai Fish
wales.gif
Be nice to your kids because its them that pick your nursing home!

G

Dibber in our tackle shop you would get your pole elasticated for free,bit of a journey tho to the north east of England

All good gear used to boot.

Ready made pole rigs.

Drennan, 2.99 all sizes, thats the advised price to sell at

bablefish.gif

catch me if u can
Andy,
Datafile3.asp

hoppy

hoppy
quote:Originally posted by Dibber

Hi all bit of a gripe really.

So the final question is :- Does anyone else think we are getting ripped off or am I just a tightwad[?]

Angry Dibber

Dibber, I just went in today to my local tack shop, bought my usual maggots, then I thought I'd have a extra power top 2 universal for my pole, 30 quid, no chance, so I went to the next town to me, only a couple of miles, 25 quid, for the self same model,the wife went halves so I got it, the top two, I mean.[;)]

"Take your time, but hurry up"

Dibber

Same here, I though by going to the shop in the City that I would get what I wanted reasonably cheap, I went to my LOCAL tackle shop in the Bridgend area and picked up a pack of 2 Preston Stora Bungs for 1.99 for the two! and I did'nt need an extractor rod, a bit of coat hanger sufficed. Gary Evans Fishing Tackle was the shop Dai, and if it was'nt for the fact that it's the only place that sells catsors I would'nt go there.

Dibber

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dibber

Have you tried Afan Angling in Port Talbot. He has just started getting more coarse angling gear in and they seem very friendly and helpful.

BTW I will be down the canal one evening this week, not Wednesday.

Geoff
Datafile3.asp

True friends are like good books. You don't always use
them but you know where they are when you need them.

Fishing Venues UK

Dibber

Hi Geoff,

I've heard of the Afan Angling before but could'nt find it, Eweny Angling and Keens TAckle and Guns have just had a huge revamp. I was quite supprised when I visited them both, even got poles in stock. Sorry I could'nt make it to Hazel Court on Sunday, I was recovering from Wheelbarrowing 12tons of sub-soil for the garden on Saturday afternoon. Let me know what evening your going down the Canal and i'll meet you, also made some excellent maps for the canal i'll bring em' down and see what you think.

Bye for now

Dibber

Status
Not open for further replies.