Are smaller hooks essential for F1’s ?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Saturday I have an all day pass so I’m planning on heading off to Orchard Place Farm near Paddock Wood for a full days session on one of their three match lakes. My first time on a commercial :eek:

Amongst other things, according to FB reports they have a lot of F1’s in these lakes and it’s something I’ve never come up against - they weren’t yet a ”thing” when I packed it all in 15yrs ago. Website says the match lakes also contain Common/Minor Carp up to 15lb, Bream, Chubb, Tench, Golden Tench and Barbel.

On my local it’s carp only and I can take fish from 1lb to 14lb on a size 14 Guru QM1 (method) or Super MWG (pellet waggler)all day long but am I right in thinking that with a lot of F1’s in the water I need to fine my gear down to catch?

Have a wide range of hook patterns and sizes at my disposal including Guru F1 pellet & F1 maggot in 14 and 16 plus B611, B511, B911 down to 20’s.

Should I not be considering the F1’s and target the other species perhaps? If I get any F1’s then it‘s a bonus or are they likely to be a nuisance if I’m not set up for them?

It will also be my first time out with a 13m pole so a lot will be going on and I want to be as prepared in advance as possible. Have it in mind to start on maggot or pellet and see what happens but if I can’t get to grips with the pole then fall back on waggler or feeder/bomb which I am comfortable with paired with corn, pellet, maggot or meat.

Karl

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’ve caught loads of F1s on size 14 QM1s. The waters I usually fish have a lot of carp in as well so that is my best option. You could try a 16 if you are not getting many bites but you certainly shouldn’t need to go smaller than that.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I've fished lakes 5 and 6 there (The third lake's a silverfish one from memory). Always had good sessions. 14's or 16s are my go to hooks there depending on conditions and the f1s in both those lakes are not small. I haven't tried the third match lake as I can't get to it. I like this fishery a lot and would visit there more often if I could. Unless you have a real good sense of direction or a decent map, you'll need a sat nav to find the place - the website and Google Earth help Pearson's Green Lane I think), but you've likely checked those out already . The entrance is partially concealed so don't blink else you might miss it The guys at the main complex (and there's a toilet with a shower and an all day breakfast place) will give you good advice and guidance on how to get to the lakes and tactics - parking on lakes 5 and 6 is close to quite a few of the swims

Tight Lines

Almost forgot. There are free very friendly dogs that wander around the car park - well sometimes more of a waddle maybe due to them spending too much time hanging around the all day breakfast bar - also there are other toilets scattered around the lake complexes

Last edited:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Saturday I have an all day pass so I’m planning on heading off to Orchard Place Farm near Paddock Wood for a full days session on one of their three match lakes. My first time on a commercial :eek:

Amongst other things, according to FB reports they have a lot of F1’s in these lakes and it’s something I’ve never come up against - they weren’t yet a ”thing” when I packed it all in 15yrs ago. Website says the match lakes also contain Common/Minor Carp up to 15lb, Bream, Chubb, Tench, Golden Tench and Barbel.

On my local it’s carp only and I can take fish from 1lb to 14lb on a size 14 Guru QM1 (method) or Super MWG (pellet waggler)all day long but am I right in thinking that with a lot of F1’s in the water I need to fine my gear down to catch?

Have a wide range of hook patterns and sizes at my disposal including Guru F1 pellet & F1 maggot in 14 and 16 plus B611, B511, B911 down to 20’s.

Should I not be considering the F1’s and target the other species perhaps? If I get any F1’s then it‘s a bonus or are they likely to be a nuisance if I’m not set up for them?

It will also be my first time out with a 13m pole so a lot will be going on and I want to be as prepared in advance as possible. Have it in mind to start on maggot or pellet and see what happens but if I can’t get to grips with the pole then fall back on waggler or feeder/bomb which I am comfortable with paired with corn, pellet, maggot or meat.

Karl
Trial and error , try a 16 and if not getting many bites try 18 , i use kaizen hooks mostly . Hook size differs from brand to brand .Thats for hard pellet ,soft pellets or corn a nice wide gape hook upto a 14 dependent on bait size 🤔

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I've fished lakes 5 and 6 there (The third lake's a silverfish one from memory). Always had good sessions. 14's or 16s are my go to hooks there depending on conditions and the f1s in both those lakes are not small. I haven't tried the third match lake as I can't get to it. I like this fishery a lot and would visit there more often if I could. Unless you have a real good sense of direction or a decent map, you'll need a sat nav to find the place - the website and Google Earth help Pearson's Green Lane I think), but you've likely checked those out already . The entrance is partially concealed so don't blink else you might miss it The guys at the main complex (and there's a toilet with a shower and an all day breakfast place) will give you good advice and guidance on how to get to the lakes and tactics - parking on lakes 5 and 6 is close to quite a few of the swims

Tight Lines

Almost forgot. There are free very friendly dogs that wander around the car park - well sometimes more of a waddle maybe due to them spending too much time hanging around the all day breakfast bar - also there are other toilets scattered around the lake complexes

Its 5 or 6 I was looking at - really appreciate the heads up

alsur

Site Supporter
I've fished Orchard Place lake 6 once a year for last 10 years, I didn't fish last year but club did it didn't fish as well as F1s had been removed. The F1s were quite big, I never drew on lake 5 which was a out and out F1 lake 6 was more mixed in later years although prominently F1s. I wouldn't treat it as an F1 lake now as well as carp a lot of skimmers were caught in clubs last match.

Wily Coyote

Site Supporter
Thankfully a lot of southern waters don't have F1's in them but at least the ones in there will give you a fair old scrap.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
forget the hook sizes

one tip I will give you for orchard is wear good waterproof boots with a good tread on them, the place after a minor rainfall can become a sea of mud, liquid mud over a harder base, very slippery

a lot of lads take a small tarp to put their gear on, there are no platforms you fish off a mud bank

Nasha

I was on lake 5 last autumn. Great time catching small 2-3lb carp tight to the island on the method feeder and loads of them before it had even hit the deck. The way they were on it that day I could have used a shark hook and it probably wouldn't have mattered!! :)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Thanks everyone - looking like 5 - plan is to be there for gates opening and go from there.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I was on lake 5 last autumn. Great time catching small 2-3lb carp tight to the island on the method feeder and loads of them before it had even hit the deck. The way they were on it that day I could have used a shark hook and it probably wouldn't have mattered!! :)

I know I can fish method feeder ok which is why I’m going to concentrate on pole which I have very little experience of.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
forget the hook sizes

one tip I will give you for orchard is wear good waterproof boots with a good tread on them, the place after a minor rainfall can become a sea of mud, liquid mud over a harder base, very slippery

a lot of lads take a small tarp to put their gear on, there are no platforms you fish off a mud bank
My new Aldi wellies will do the job (y)

Total

Site Supporter
@OldTaff .....My club had a match on Lake 5 last Sunday just gone. (11th April)....As said above, the stocking has changed the last few years. Predominantly all carp with a smattering of smaller F1's to a maximum of 3 pound. Lake 6 being similar now but the F1's go to over 5 pound, very good stamp of F1's but the numbers of them are drastically reduced.

Lake 5 used to hold some decent skimmers, but these again are few and far between. Our Mick's right about the mud, but this is generally in the cooler months and the banks on lake 5 were firm enough last Sunday.

Weights weren't great on our match, 70 poundish won it with 60 pound back up weights. Quite a few of them struggled for 30 pounds, and they are good rods I fish with. The cold nights have taken their toll, but sport will improve after a week of warmer weather.

Lake 10, their designated silver lake is very much an enigma! Loads of stunted roach, the odd better skimmer, small tench, even the odd barbel, but it is a very moody lake.....In practice, you can put a reasonable silvers weight together, but stick a match on it and taking up golf can seem a good idea!:giggle::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter
Thanks @Total - 5 or 6 it is then

What baits we’re people predominantly using ?
Expander pellet, hard pellet, maggot, corn on the pole over micros (or in my swim, 4mm hard pellets, my swim was the best part of top two deep). Absolute minimum feed as well or you'll blow your peg while this cold weather lasts. Be prepared to wait for bites...

Take a short feeder rod as well....;)(y)....Punched bread on a hair caught me a number of fish....

While I think about it, as you're fishing at the weekend, check Lake 5 hasn't got a match on it......If it hasn't, get there first light, it gets busy at the weekend....